What's new

Anybody Else Disappointed With Time/Life? (1 Viewer)

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Joe Lugoff said:
I don't like to refer to things as "dated" because to some extent, everything is a product of its times. But "Laugh-In" is incredibly dated. It bombed in syndication. I saw it a while back and sat there stone faced. It struck me as a bunch of very old jokes, going back to vaudeville and burlesque, done in a "mod" 60s style to make people think they were cutting edge and new.

Even in its day its popularity was short-lived. It was #1 for two seasons then dropped so fast it was gone only three years later. It was a fad. Only "Batman" did worse.

Add in the fact that it's 40+ years old, meaning those who look back on it nostalgically are getting up there in years -- and younger people probably never heard of it because it had no afterlife in syndication -- and I think it's fairly certain that it would not be a big success on DVD.

You'd be surprised how many fans of "The Family" from "The Carol Burnett Show" and the subsequent "Mama's Family" there are walking around loose out there. I happen to be one of them myself. I personally have never heard anyone reminisce nostalgically about "Laugh-In." Watching clips from it on YouTube makes me think, "What were we thinking?" It's pretty awful.
Can't agree with all that, Joe. I saw a tribute to Laugh-In at the museum here in L.A. a few years back and it was packed and the audience had a great time. There was a lot of fine sketch comedy in there, along with oh-so-mod bits that are more entertaining as time capsules than anything else. But Mama's Family was to me nothing but an insult to the fine "Family" sketches done on TCBS. Not one laugh to be had in it for me.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I think "The Family" sketches from TCBS rank with "The Honeymooners" on "The Jackie Gleason Show" as the best "series" sketches in TV history. I know both of them can be depressing, because they show lower class people living sad lives and taking out their frustrations on each other, but unfortunately, that's how life is for millions of people. They were certainly more true to life than "Leave It to Beaver" (which I also like, but it's a fantasy to me).

I don't think "Laugh-In" had anything to remotely compare to that. It was just a series of vaudeville sketches. Is someone looking into the camera and saying "Sock it to me" or "Here come de judge" really funny? I didn't think it was even in 1969.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I completely agree with your assessment of "The Family" sketches. I think they are truly brilliant. My point was that Mama's Family is not the original, and nowhere near the same quality. In fact, as I said, I find it actually insulting to the memory of the great work done on TCBS.

I also agree that Laugh-In is not of the quality of the "The Family" sketches. But what is? And while I agree that the catch phrases and routine bits on LI aren't funny (and lets not forget the idiotic "Farkle Family" bits!) there is much more to the series than that. To me, that's like the people in another thread who reduce All in the Family to nothing but the sound of a toilet flushing.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
JohnMor said:
I completely agree with your assessment of "The Family" sketches. I think they are truly brilliant. My point was that Mama's Family is not the original, and nowhere near the same quality. In fact, as I said, I find it actually insulting to the memory of the great work done on TCBS.

I also agree that Laugh-In is not of the quality of the "The Family" sketches. But what is? And while I agree that the catch phrases and routine bits on LI aren't funny (and lets not forget the idiotic "Farkle Family" bits!) there is much more to the series than that. To me, that's like the people in another thread who reduce All in the Family to nothing but the sound of a toilet flushing.
"The Family" sketches were a world apart from this show. The "redneck" humor and Mama's quips worked a whole lot better when she had Carol Burnett and Harvey Korman as foils. Without Carol and Harvey, the show was reduced to a wisecracking old lady (tired out sitcom stereotype) insulting the other characters with no one that can match wits with her. Mama works best as an ensemble character with players of equal talent. This is not a character that should be carrying a show. Picture Estelle Geddy (same basic character/different venue) carrying her own show sans Arthur, White, and McClenahan. Wouldn't work. And this didn't either. IMHO

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I do agree that "Mama's Family" was inferior to "The Family" sketches. Vicki Lawrence herself originally said she didn't like how they changed the Mama character. If you can believe Wikipedia, here's what it says:

"Lawrence originally disfavored Mama's change in character from The Family sketches to the series version, believing that toning down the character's grumpy, spiteful nature in exchange for a kinder nature, capable of humor and high spirits wasn't funny."

I might have a soft spot in my heart (or head) about the series because I once met Vicki Lawrence and I asked her if she'd say something to me in Mama's voice, and she said: "Don't just stand there with that stupid expression on your face, bring me a beer!"

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Fabiano
I have nostalgic memories of both shows, actually.

Maybe the Carol Burnett sets were choppy because of music rights? (speaking of CBS, the master of bombing out because of such rights) I don't think you'll ever see a complete version of any variety series because of this, not to mention clearing various celebrity appearances.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
You know what--I love Mama's Family. I really am disappointed in the forum members for taking the time to post all this vitriol over it.

Usually, when they release a show I don't like--I say nothing. I can't imagine why I'd trash someone else's favorites. There's no benefit in that for me.

Yet here we stand.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Ethan Riley said:
You know what--I love Mama's Family. I really am disappointed in the forum members for taking the time to post all this vitriol over it.

Usually, when they release a show I don't like--I say nothing. I can't imagine why I'd trash someone else's favorites. There's no benefit in that for me.

Yet here we stand.
There was no offense intended with regard to someone's interest's. One of the problems here on this forum is the exact thing you are talking about. The "unwritten" rule that you are not permitted to voice your opinion when you don't like a show and that your only option to say nothing. IMO, if you express your opinion is a respectful way, it is perfectly acceptable to voice your disappointment when a show you dislike is released if favor of something you do like. If is not an affront to another collectors or there preferences., it is simply one's opinion on a particular show and that personally they should be able to express it without fear of being 'trashed" themselves for disagreeing. It is nothing personal at all. As an example, if you spot a favorite show of mine,like Barnaby Jones for example, on the release schedule and you don't like it or are waiting for another favorite of yours from that distributor, there is absolutely nothing wrong with voicing your displeasure. You wouldn't offend me one bit. Anyway, that's my diatribe. Again, no offense intended or implied. Thanks

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Frank Soyke said:
There was no offense intended with regard to someone's interest's. One of the problems here on this forum is the exact thing you are talking about. The "unwritten" rule that you are not permitted to voice your opinion when you don't like a show and that your only option to say nothing. IMO, if you express your opinion is a respectful way, it is perfectly acceptable to voice your disappointment when a show you dislike is released if favor of something you do like. If is not an affront to another collectors or there preferences., it is simply one's opinion on a particular show and that personally they should be able to express it without fear of being 'trashed" themselves for disagreeing. It is nothing personal at all. As an example, if you spot a favorite show of mine,like Barnaby Jones for example, on the release schedule and you don't like it or are waiting for another favorite of yours from that distributor, there is absolutely nothing wrong with voicing your displeasure. You wouldn't offend me one bit. Anyway, that's my diatribe. Again, no offense intended or implied. Thanks
Exactly. On this forum I've read many of my favorites being pilloried by fellow HTF members, including I Love Lucy, All in the Family and Bewitched. That's life. People have opinions that differ from mine. They were simply expressing theirs, not insulting me.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I disagree. I see no point to do it. It's not like they promised the Jack Benny Program, took it away, and said, 'Oh, we're doing Mama's Family instead." Then I could see people being upset. But I see no point in starting a thread to trash a very successful show and say stupid things like "WHY are they putting out Mama's Family?? WHY do they put out this kind of junk when Judd for the Defense languishes in a vault somewhere? WHY??"

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I really can't be disappointed in Time/Life, because whatever they release is usually so out there and "impossible" that it's not something I think I'll see on DVD.

If their release is something I want to see, like China Beach or Mama's Family, then it's a bonus.

If it's something I'm not really interested in, like the Carol Burnette Show or the Smothers Brothers releases, well, it's not like I'm out of anything, because I wouldn't have been buying those sets anyway.

Time/Life's releases are added bonuses in the world of TV on DVD..

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Ethan Riley said:
I see no point in starting a thread to trash a very successful show and say stupid things...
Oh, not only are we not entitled to express our opinions (in a SEPARATE thread, no less), but they're "stupid" to boot. Nice Ethan. Very nice. I put down the series, NOT the fans who liked it. (I even said I was happy for them that Time-Life was treating the series so well.) It's too bad you feel the need to attack people who dislike the series, instead of just defending the series itself.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
John, you are absolutely wrong. It's not that you're not entitled to express your opinions--it's that you chose to do so in a negative way.

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
I was never disappointed in Time-Life in the past, but this being my first purchase from them, I am certainly thrilled they chose to release one of my top three favorites in such a deluxe package.

While I understand many people may find this show "lowbrow", "immature" or "an insult" to the Carol Burnett 'Family' sketches, I certainly don't see how it's "offensive". I would reserve that word for something like Jersey Shore or the Kardashians or any of the filthy, stupid 'reality' shows that have overprivelaged women cursing at each other with expletives bleeped out every other second. IMO watching those shows is the equivalent of swimming in a toilet bowl and more deserving of critcism than a fun guilty pleasure such as Mama.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'm not upset with Time-Life, just a bit disappointed with the series chosen as I've never been a fan of this series (skits, yes - series, no). BUT I *do* hope it sells well enough they'll consider releasing another complete series next year (or sooner). If sales of this don't do so well they might consider just dropping support of the format and I do not want to see that occur. As long as TL is releasing full series on DVD I'll never be disappointed with the company even if it is a series for which I have no interest.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Ethan Riley said:

Yet here we stand.
I agree totally -- and that's why I purposely bashed "Laugh-In" in this thread, to show what it feels like (although I meant every word I said about "Laugh-In.")

I find about 97% of what's released on DVD positively repulsive. If I entered every thread to announce my dislike of the show or movie being discussed, that's all I'd spend my time doing.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Frank Soyke said:
What you're saying is true to a certain extent, but there always seems to be an underlying message that anyone who likes a certain show or movie that the poster doesn't like has to be some kind of idiot, so there is an element of the "personal" about it.

The opposite is true, too. I think anyone who doesn't like "Mama's Family" has to be some kind of idiot. :P

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Hey, I just thought of something. If Time-Life has put out "The Carol Burnett Show" and now "Mama's Family," why don't they put out a set of all "The Family" sketches from "The Carol Burnett Show"?

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
JohnMor said:
Oh, not only are we not entitled to express our opinions (in a SEPARATE thread, no less), but they're "stupid" to boot. Nice Ethan. Very nice. I put down the series, NOT the fans who liked it. (I even said I was happy for them that Time-Life was treating the series so well.) It's too bad you feel the need to attack people who dislike the series, instead of just defending the series itself.
I don't want to get overly political, but there is a certain amount of politics on this board regarding expressing one's opinion. Like the outside world, we supposedly have free speech... so as long as It agrees with the majority opinion. If you express a dissenting opinion, you get lambasted and accused of being a negative poster. My opinion is simple, each of us has the right to our opinion and we shouldn't be scared of the repercussions of stating it, even if it is not the popular view. To criticize me for stating I don't like a show, it is every bit as "personal" as the attacks you perceive. I love Wild, Wild West, Hogan's Heroes, and Mannix to name a few. If you don't them feel free to tell me so. Doesn't matter in my life. I didn't write, produce, or act in the shows. I have no monetary interest in any of them. I'm not insecure or embarassed by my preferences. I will still like them no matter what you say. There would never be any hard feelings. Peace

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Frank Soyke said:
I don't want to get overly political, but there is a certain amount of politics on this board regarding expressing one's opinion. Like the outside world, we supposedly have free speech... so as long as It agrees with the majority opinion. If you express a dissenting opinion, you get lambasted and accused of being a negative poster. My opinion is simple, each of us has the right to our opinion and we shouldn't be scared of the repercussions of stating it, even if it is not the popular view. To criticize me for stating I don't like a show, it is every bit as "personal" as the attacks you perceive. I love Wild, Wild West, Hogan's Heroes, and Mannix to name a few. If you don't them feel free to tell me so. Doesn't matter in my life. I didn't write, produce, or act in the shows. I have no monetary interest in any of them. I'm not insecure or embarassed by my preferences. I will still like them no matter what you say. There would never be any hard feelings. Peace
Absolutely, Frank. Well said.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks