What's new

Any word on The Abyss? (1 Viewer)

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I am also a fan of this classic movie. I saw both versions in the theatre. its my all time favorite movie, even over some popular comic book movies. I hope that someday we get a proper HD version of it. I am thinking that it will be later this year or sometime next year.
Jacob

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Jay Pennington said:
I suppose, but the one that first appeared on the SE laserdisc was excellent.
That was the same one as the doc on the dvd, I guess? It was excellent, but a featurette (or something a bit longer) with the people looking back on the film and the response it had might be interesting added to the making of.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
when they released the abyss on laser disc around 1992/1993. they also sent two prints out in limited release.. it took a while, but it did come to sacramento and played for a while. i went on opening night for the longer cut.
Jacob

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Indeed Abyss has two cuts, the Theatrical Cut and the Special Edition. The Special Edition was done on film and this makes me worried for the Theatrical Cut. If they release only the Special Edition on BD, it would be a no sale for me. I want the Theatrical Cut.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by shazzerman /t/282265/any-word-on-the-abyss#post_3936444
Bumping this thread. Surely we haven't got long to wait for The Abyss on blu?

I have read that it and True Lies will be coming in 2013.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
The DVD had a great behind-the-scenes documentary (I think it was called "Under Pressure"). Does anyone know how it was shot/edited? It would be awesome if it could be upgraded to HD for Blu-ray.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I haven't seen the film (or the doc) in a while but I remember it looked like the documentary was shot on film. It was produced, if I'm not mistaken, around the time the Laserdisc was released in the early 90's - most feature-length docs were filmed back then. The Abyss is one upgrade I'm sure EVERYONE will make when it hits Blu-ray. I can't imagine anybody being satisfied with that DVD, as nice as it was for its time.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
I believe that the non-anamorphic DVD was simply sourced from the same materials that were used to strike the laserdisc. That in itself reveals how much we need a new, anamorphic Blu Ray and/or DVD pressing. That old laserdisc dates back a long time now, and could really use a remastering. I hope that does happen in 2013. The time has come.

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I'm thinking, and this pure projection, that the pattern for US releases could be

Terminator: 2014 (30th anniversary)
The Abyss: 2014 (25th anniversary)
True Lies: 2014 (20th anniversary)

Perhaps there will be some european release before hand, without any promotion, like it just happened for T1.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I first asked this question 4 years ago! Anyone hear of a release date yet? This is still one of my favorite movies!

Jobla

Supporting Actor
In this digital age, it seems unthinkable that a major James Cameron film is STILL not available in an anamorphic transfer! Heck, it even seems bizarre. There are a bunch of crap exploitation flicks that are available anamorphic on DVD, and some of those are even available on Blu-ray.

The time has really come for an anamorphic Blu-ray of THE ABYSS. How many more years will we have to wait?

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
The holdup is Cameron is too busy to sit down and do the transfer. He gets more involved than just watching once and approving...

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ric Easton said:
Somehow I don't think its gonna make it by the end of the year!
Let's be positive, still three days to go. :D

Seriously though, 2014 is the 25th anniversary year, studio's love these so i'd bet on a 2014 release, 20th anniversary for True Lies too so also 2014 especially since we know a commentary has been recorded by Eliza.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks