What's new

any word on Led Zeppelin on DVDA? (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
That's the killer app that DVDA needs. I'd run to the store and buy them right now. Preferably Led Zeppelin II first. And they needn't bother with Coda.
jeremy

John Geelan

Screenwriter
Yes, Led Zep would be nice but how about Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon or Queen's Night At The Opera. These would sound great in surround sound DVD-A!!

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The other thing to consider is that the Led Zeppelin catalog simply defies re-mixing. a 24-bit 96KHz uncompressed or lossless 2.0 re-master would be pretty great, but a 5.1 re-mix would likely be a disaster. The mixes on these albums were performances in themselves that, especially for the early stuff, would reportedly become a case of "all hands on deck" in a pretty wild and creative environment. It would be tough to re-create that 30+ years later, even if the original producers & members were all available to do it.
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
I checked the quadraphonic website and Led Zeppelin has no quad recordings on record. That would mean any DVD-A discs would have to be newly remixed from the original multi-tracks. I suppose if Jimmy page did it himself, it would be okay, but like I said in the past, would hearing these great albums in 5.1 really improve these great songs, or would it just give bored listeners another variation to ponder over?
I am for 5.1, and I bought the doors LA woman, which I like, but the haunting lyrics and blues inspired numbers sound cool in 5.1, don't really make me dump my stereo version, I would like to think the artists I truly like, it doesn't matter what format they are in, I like what they create, not what a mix engineer created.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I think the current CDs, remastered by Page, are about as good as these recordings will ever get due to the source material.

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
I don't really want a 5.1 remix. Just the higher resolution. Should I be wanting Led Zeppelin on SACD instead?
jeremy
I wasted all of last Saturday in my recliner listening to th entire LZ catalogue.

Alex Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
higher resolution would be nice, but it might show a lot of problems with the source (for led zepplin and other bands).
96khz/24bit mastering is a funny thing. i work as an engineer/producer and the increased resolution is always wanted, but there is the fact that a lot of people are not going to notice or care. and your hearing (as you get older), only gets worse, limiting the benefit of the increase in resolution. there would be an implied reaction, someone thinking that they can indeed hear the difference, but the result could be minimal to none.
even for a nice, new recording pressed to 44.1khz, chances are, if you are over 20 years of age, you are missing information that was recorded.
one problem i do have with these remasters is the fact that the original artist is not involved sometimes, and there would be a little something missing in that case, in my opinion.
but yeah, back to this thread, bring on the zep!
a
------------------
visit neverville

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks