What's new

Any word on a Rich Man, Poor Man mini-series DVD? (1 Viewer)

John Macri

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
I loved this 1976 era mini-series when it was aired. First major role for Nick Nolte, and Peter Strauss. I see there's a region 2 version. Can't believe it hasn't made it to region 1 DVD yet.

Mark To

Supporting Actor
I'm thinking there might be a problem due to the rights to the book perhaps. I have been wondering the same thing myself.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Hey, John Mark,

I've been waiting for this one for a long time. It's probably my all-time favorite mini-series. I think it was relased in Europe/Region 2 but I might be mistaken. I have to figure that it's a metter of time before it's coming.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
With Universal opening its TV library to DVD, I'm sure we'll see this great classic soon. I hope they'll add extras, like a retrospective on the making of the series. The three leads (Strauss/Nolte/Blakely) are very much alive, as are Ed Asner and William "Falconetti" Smith, and I'm sure they've got great stories to tell!

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
It looks like we're finally going to get an R1 relase. Dave at TSoD posted a news item - read it here . Sept 28 release date from A&E . The question for me will be, will the prints be remastered for the Book 1 set? I have both R2 book sets and RMPM Book 1 is a little rough watching with the un-restored prints. Iirc, Book 2 transfers were better than 1's. I haven't rewatched that set in a while.

Glenn Curtis

Stunt Coordinator
Long as they don't do what they did with the original Book One release in the UK.

One of the episodes was cut - and this must be the biggest cut of all time. There was something like 50 minutes missing from one of the episodes.

When I watched the DVD; I had to find an old VHS copy I had to watch the missing chunk.

I presume the re-release was complete although I steered clear of it.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Glenn Curtis

Long as they don't do what they did with the original Book One release in the UK.

One of the episodes was cut - and this must be the biggest cut of all time. There was something like 50 minutes missing from one of the episodes.

When I watched the DVD; I had to find an old VHS copy I had to watch the missing chunk.

I presume the re-release was complete although I steered clear of it.
Yeah, I remember that edit :( I got the UK set since I didn't know when or if we'd see an R1 release. That UK set was released in '03. It's been a long wat for the R1 release.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I'm so glad that this is finally coming out in Region 1.

I have the Region 2 sets and I don't remember any missing footage or an edit. Where did this edit happen? I didn't get my set until 2008 so perhaps the issue was fixed by the time I got my sets.

Rich Man, Poor Man was going to be shown as six two-hour episodes. Fred Silverman thought that the program was good and that the network could get more use out of it if the show was broken up into eight episodes and this was how it aired. Something similar happened to Roots (which I can't believe WB knows nothing about the cut footage.) It will be interesting to see how this show will be packaged.

Glenn Curtis

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by Brian Himes

I'm so glad that this is finally coming out in Region 1.

I have the Region 2 sets and I don't remember any missing footage or an edit. Where did this edit happen? I didn't get my set until 2008 so perhaps the issue was fixed by the time I got my sets.
Sorry I don't remember now where the cut was other than being at the start of one of the latter episodes. I would imagine this was fixed by the time you got your release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks