What's new

Any word on 3D ready blu ray drives for my home theater PC? (1 Viewer)

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
This is something I've been thinking about lately. Most/all of my blu ray discs are backed up on a local hard drive, used an LG blu ray drive to do this. With all the talk of blu ray players coming out with 3D capability, just wondering if ANYONE has heard whether computer drives will be coming out with this ability soon. I am sure all the the blu ray software (WinDVD/PowerDVD/ArcSoft TotalMedia Theater, etc) will eventually come out with their own 3D compatiable software.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
There has been NO mention of this yet. Keep in mind it requires a compatible display. In the case of a PC I'm not sure it that would also require a specific graphics card. I know there are some 3D PC setups now, but I don't know if they meet the 3D BD specs, and if they are SW upgradeable if they don't. I figure things should start to shake out in the next couple of months.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Not for drives, but the software and cabling just took a big step forward:
http://gizmodo.com/5493789/nvidias-3dtv-play-brings-3d-from-pc-to-3dtvs

I believe the drives should work with a firmware update at most tho!

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
Yes, I saw this last night, I use Cyberlink PowerDVD for my main blu ray software (and love it - it integrates into my Windows 7 Media Center beautifully. I will probably upgrade on general principal, but doubt I will have the scratch for the accompanying TVs or glasses anything in the next couple of years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks