1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Any way to get portable audio through FM?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones / Entertainment' started by Philip Hamm, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Well-Known Member

Is there any way to get sound from my Portable minidisc player to my factory car stereo using FM modulation or something like that? I don't care about "fidelity", the contents of my MiniDiscs are lectures. I would much rather not buy a new headunit for just an aux input but if that's the only answer then so be it.

2. Sathyan

Sathyan Well-Known Member

Yes, you can do it with FM modulation (or that cassette tape adapter). I've seen these at RadioShack for about $30.

Obviously, there will be sound degradation.

3. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Well-Known Member

Thanks, I ordered one.

4. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Well-Known Member

Philip:

Just to be certain you know, there's a difference between an FM modulator and an FM transmitter.

The modulator needs to be connected between your antenna and your head unit, and will allow you to play your portable player over an FM station. A transmitter does the same thing, but it connects to your portable player and literally transmits a signal to an FM station in your head unit. Modulators usually produce a stronger signal than transmitters, but they do require installation (modulators are also used for satellite radio and aftermarket CD changers). Transmitters are convenient, but many produce a weak signal with poor stereo separation; often inferior to FM radio.