What's new

Any thoughts on the Toshiba 46h83 ? (1 Viewer)

anthony_b

Screenwriter
I'm interested in this Toshiba model and also the popular 47 inch Panny. The drawback with the Toshiba is the need to spend more $$ on a TV stand...is the picture worth it over the Panny 47wx53 ?

JamieS

Stunt Coordinator
I own a 51 H83. I had ordered a 46 in June but they told me the 46 would be till Sept. then they looked at the price list and Toshiba had changed the prices so that the 46 and 51 were both cheaper. The 51 was at that point the same price I would have paid for the 46 and I got it in a week.

I have been very happy with the picture (even though I have only self calibrated the tech from the store is going to professionaly do it in the next week or so). On HD DVDs like Ice age it is FANTASTIC. I have not had one problem with it. I have not seen the Panny so I can only say I like my Toshiba f that helps.

Martin H

Grip
I would also be interested in opinions regarding this set. I'm comparing it to the Hitachi 46f500, the Mitsubishi 42313, and the Sony 46WT510. We watch a lot of dvds, but a lot of standard programming as well.

TIA.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
I've had a 46H83 at home now for about a month. I love it! There's absolutely no ghosting that I can see.

Tip - the best quality DVD image will come from feeding the TV an *interlaced* signal and letting the TV scale to 1080i.

Mike Boniferro

Second Unit
Are you saying it is better to feed it the 480i signal from a standard DVD player than a progressive scan?
I'm finally buying an HD projo this week and was not looking forward to getting rid of my Sony 7700 so that would be great :)

WayneG

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know the difference between the H83 and the HX83 series?

Reviews of the H83 said that the red is too bold. Have you found this to be so? Thanks.

Bob_Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
anthony,

I also have the toshiba 46h83. Just a great rptv. You will love it. NO ghosting, no problems, just a great picture. HD is great on it too.

Bob

anthony_b

Screenwriter
I liked the toshiba when I saw it. JandR sent me something in the mail with a sale price of $1299, but I had already ordered thru Amazon a JVC48WP74 for $999. So far I'm very pleased with Standard Directv and DVD's....thanks for all the replys..:emoji_thumbsup:

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
You can adjust the colour somewhat on the '83 sets. In the service mode, try adjusting the AROF parameter to 02 and the ABOF parameter to FF.

Joey B

Stunt Coordinator
I've got a question for all you Toshiba owner's...

I can get the 51h83 or the 50hdx82 for roughly the same price. Which do you think is the better set and why?

Joey

Mike Boniferro

Second Unit
If you can get them for the same price (give or take a few dollars) then definately go with the HDX... at regular prices, I would suggest the H83.... the HDX basically has a new type of gun that is supposed to last longer, and a better anti glare screen. If you can see them side by side, you probably wouldn't notice a difference, but the guns really are supposed to last longer... so for the same price, then it's an easy decision

Joey B

Stunt Coordinator
Does it matter that the HDX82 is last year's model and the H83 is this year's model?

Mike Boniferro

Second Unit
Sorry, I didn't notice that in your original post.
I don't think it should make much of a difference, the only thing i could tell was different between the 82 and 83 models was styling.
someone chime in if I missed something though :)

unless the 82 didn't have DVI... not sure on that...

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Take a look at an AVIA resolution test pattern on both sets. You're likely to conclude that the H83 has a sharper, better defined image.

Mike Boniferro

Second Unit
That is very interesting Johnny, first time I've ever heard anyone argue that the H83's are better than the HDX's. I've heard 'no difference' many times... makes me feel even better about my decision :D (like there was every any doubt)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks