What's new

Any shot at Wild Kingdom? (1 Viewer)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Ron1973 said:
There are various DVD's over at Amazon of the series for a little over $3!!! :D
I love this show as a kid along with Jacques Cousteau. I have on my agenda to pick up wild kingdom as animal habitat is the same today, except that development has had more influence on upsetting of migration patterns for animals.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
younger1968 said:
I love this show as a kid along with Jacques Cousteau. I have on my agenda to pick up wild kingdom as animal habitat is the same today, except that development has had more influence on upsetting of migration patterns for animals.
I had forgotten all about Mr. Cousteau! So much stuff I remember when I was a kid watching on the weekends. I have Wild Kingdom added to buy when I get paid, so that's a go. Now I need to add In Search Of and my weekend lineup will be getting good to go!

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
I was lucky enough to scoop up the WILD KINGDOM: DEFINITIVE 50 EPISODE COLLECTION a few years ago, though I think that was just a repackaging of the various thematic individual releases that can still be had relatively cheaply, though they are all out-of-print now, thanks to BCI/Eclipse being closed down a few years ago. I have my eye on the IN SEARCH OF... set, but I'm waiting for a good sale before I strike. It'd be a nostalgic kick to own disc releases of at least some 'best of' collections of other weekend staples I used to watch as a kid back in the 1970s: WILD WILD WORLD OF ANIMALS --and I can't leave out the cool theme during the end credits The Glenn Ford-hosted disaster chronicle WHEN HAVOC STRUCK THE WORLD SPORTSMAN later known as THE AMERICAN SPORTSMAN THE ABC WIDE WORLD OF SPORTS --and a couple of weeknight series that fit into the same groove: The original David L. Wolper-produced NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC SOCIETY SPECIALS (1965-1975) THE BODY HUMAN THE UNDERSEA WORLD OF JACQUES COUSTEAU (which began as a Wolper NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC SPECIAL) was released as a DVD set in the UK, so is accessible if you have a region-free player, though it's odd that it's never gotten a release in R1, even a couple of years ago when it was Cousteau's 100th birthday, and had a whole day of these episodes and other Cousteau documentaries played on TCM.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I have plenty of Hee Haw on the DVR (that was weekend viewing) and a friend gave me DVD's of the color episodes of The Grand Ole Opry that ran in the 50's. Those aired on Saturday evenings on the local PBS station. Star Trek and Bonanza were often shown on Saturday's, so that's easy to do. Now for season 3 of Flipper and the color episodes of Petticoat Junction and I'll be on my way! :cool:

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I have eight sets of Mutual Of Omaha's Wild Kingdom. There are 10 episodes on each set, which are arranged in no particular order. I really enjoyed watching these, especially the episodes from the 1960's. I would really enjoy getting a complete collection some day - not likely, I know, but one can hope and dream.

DekeThornton

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
ChrisALM, on the youtube episode that was posted previously here Marlin says they did over 300 episodes

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Originally Posted by DekeThornton
ChrisALM, on the youtube episode that was posted previously here

Marlin says they did over 300 episodes

Thanks, Deke.
I'm not surprised by that number of episodes because the show ran for so many years. I still wish they would have an episode guide on the Mutual of Omaha Wild Kingdom website. The sets that I have give me a total of 80 episodes, while quite a few, is far short of the total.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Always loved this anecdote about Marlin Perkins: In 1982, (CBC reporter Bob) McKeown anchored a special Fifth Estate report about animal cruelty in Hollywood, focusing on the 1958 Walt Disney film White Wilderness as well as the television program Mutual of Omaha’s Wild Kingdom. In the report, McKeown found that the lemming scene was filmed not at the Arctic Ocean, but at the Bow River near downtown Calgary, where the lemmings were forced into the river...In light of the findings for the report, McKeown asked Wild Kingdom host Marlin Perkins if he had deliberately injured or killed animals while making wildlife films. Perkins, then in his seventies, "firmly asked for the camera to be turned off, then punched a shocked McKeown in the face."

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Ethan Riley said:
Always loved this anecdote about Marlin Perkins: In 1982, (CBC reporter Bob) McKeown anchored a special Fifth Estate report about animal cruelty in Hollywood, focusing on the 1958 Walt Disney film White Wilderness as well as the television program Mutual of Omaha’s Wild Kingdom. In the report, McKeown found that the lemming scene was filmed not at the Arctic Ocean, but at the Bow River near downtown Calgary, where the lemmings were forced into the river...In light of the findings for the report, McKeown asked Wild Kingdom host Marlin Perkins if he had deliberately injured or killed animals while making wildlife films. Perkins, then in his seventies, "firmly asked for the camera to be turned off, then punched a shocked McKeown in the face."
Awesome! Too bad that never happened on Meet the Press.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks