What's new

Any reviews of The Student Prince? (1 Viewer)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
The Student Prince was released today - http://shop.tcm.com/product.asp?sku=D59276&directHit=1 but I don't see any reviews.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I just ordered my c opy this morning and should have it in a few days. Will check back in.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I ordered this from Movies Unlimited. They sold out of this title immediately. Its on perpetual backprder from warner Archive, who, on a daily basis, faisl to send more copies to MU.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I received my copy but have only spot-checked it. It's a very nice anamorphic transfer with stereophonic sound. The color is on a par with other Ansco-colored titles from this time and looks quite nice if not as vibrant as Technicolor. Being an archive title, there's no extensive digital cleanup that I could see, just a fresh remastering from the best available existing material. I don't know the exact details on the sound, but it sounds full and rich. The only extra is a typically unrestored trailer which plays up the singing voice of Mario Lanza. Not sure what else I can add. For the price I paid, I wish they could have added an isolated score, but for a bare-bones release, it's as good as you could expect from the Warner Archive. Of course, if they had paired it with the Norma Shearer/Ramon Novarro version, I would have paid even more. But I still have my laserdisc double-feature and it's nice to have an anamorphic upgrade on the CinemaScope version.

Art_AD

Stunt Coordinator
Agreed .........I too would have like the Shearer / Novarro verion to be included. I had hoped like the two previous MacDonald / Eddy exclusive releases there would be an audio outtake section that they could have included the Jane Powell / Vic Damon pre recording test they did when Mario Lanza was dropped from the film (before it was decided they would recast and use his recorded voice). That is why I am hesitant to pre order the next two exclusives from Movies Unlimited (until I know more of the extras) for some reason I assumed all their exclusive releases would all have extras.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Rob_Ray said:
I received my copy but have only spot-checked it. It's a very nice anamorphic transfer with stereophonic sound. The color is on a par with other Ansco-colored titles from this time and looks quite nice if not as vibrant as Technicolor. Being an archive title, there's no extensive digital cleanup that I could see, just a fresh remastering from the best available existing material. I don't know the exact details on the sound, but it sounds full and rich. The only extra is a typically unrestored trailer which plays up the singing voice of Mario Lanza. Not sure what else I can add. For the price I paid, I wish they could have added an isolated score, but for a bare-bones release, it's as good as you could expect from the Warner Archive. Of course, if they had paired it with the Norma Shearer/Ramon Novarro version, I would have paid even more. But I still have my laserdisc double-feature and it's nice to have an anamorphic upgrade on the CinemaScope version.
Does the dialog stay in the center channel or is it directional (follows the actor on the screen)?

Vern Dias

Second Unit
Real Name
Theodore V Dias
I have watched this a couple of times now. I also have the LD, and there is no question that the DVD is well worth the investment.

While there has been no digital cleanup, the transfer is excellent with accurate grain and good detail. The AR is 2.55:1, which is correct for early CinemaScope mag prints. There is some color instability in a few scenes, but it's not too bad.

The audio is Dolby Digital 2.0 with directional dialogue and I believe it's from the same master as the LD.

Now, let's see some more early Scope musicals, WB please....

Vern

M90GM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JUSTIN
I HAVE WAITED FOR THIS FILM - HAD EXPECTED A FULL RELEASE YEARS AGO AS PART OF A BOXED MGM MUSICALS PACKAGE. THIS RELEASE IS FAIRLY GOOD, WE HAVE THE ORIGINAL 2.55 RATIO, STEREO (THOUGH NOT 5.1) ALTHOUGH SOME OF THE SONGS SEEM TO BE MONO. A WARNER ARCHIVE RELEASE ORIGINALLY RELEASED EXCLUSIVELY TO MOVIES UNLIMITED, BUT FINALLY AVAILABLE THROUGH WARNER ARCHIVE. IT IS A SPECIAL FILM. ONE OF THE BEST CINEMASCOPE MUSICALS.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
M90GM said:
I HAVE WAITED FOR THIS FILM - HAD EXPECTED A FULL RELEASE YEARS AGO AS PART OF A BOXED MGM MUSICALS PACKAGE. THIS RELEASE IS FAIRLY GOOD, WE HAVE THE ORIGINAL 2.55 RATIO, STEREO (THOUGH NOT 5.1) ALTHOUGH SOME OF THE SONGS SEEM TO BE MONO. A WARNER ARCHIVE RELEASE ORIGINALLY RELEASED EXCLUSIVELY TO MOVIES UNLIMITED, BUT FINALLY AVAILABLE THROUGH WARNER ARCHIVE. IT IS A SPECIAL FILM. ONE OF THE BEST CINEMASCOPE MUSICALS.
Sounds pretty good, but when it comes to the musicals I really wish they'd turn their attentions towards bluray from this point on--or at least offer these films in both formats on the same release days. I've always enjoyed TSP; before his death last year, I was acquainted with actor Charles Davis who played Hubert in the film. He appeared in dozens of films, but he seemed especially fond of this particular movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks