What's new

Any reviews for Rocky & Bullwinkle S2 or Fractured Flickers yet? (1 Viewer)

Mark To

Supporting Actor
Interesting discussion. I hate any alterations and especially bugs. However, this one, while I would prefer it wasn't there, does not bother me as much as it does some people. Again it comes down to looking at what the alternatives are. This show has not aired in a complete, uncut form in the taping era, unlike Alf for instance. So, with something like Alf, they butchered the release and its annoying but I will just transfer my off-air masters. Rocky and Bullwinkle does not offer such an option. I don't even think all episodes are even in syndication. I seem to remember reading that the whole Kirwood Derby story was pulled because Durwood complained. So you need to take things on a case by case basis and in this case I agree with Marco that this should slide. You need to pick your battles. I am far more annoyed that the opening credits are tampered with and they created a new title sequence for the DVD. Why is no one mentioning or squaking about that? To me that's far worse as the actual show is being altered. Worse than a 10-second transparent bug.

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
Mark, I agree with you 100%, I wish these had the old openings which I grew up on because I always thought this show had one of the best opening and closings of any show I had ever seen when I was a little kid. But what can you do...

As a fan of older animation though, I don't want to wait another five to ten years for another version to come out in order to get my fix just because a couple of things aren't perfect. This is a pretty darn good set and a hell of a value.

Paul

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
As I understand it, the credits that are used on the current releases are the ones Jay Ward prefered. If that is indeed the case, then although I may not LIKE the decision, I'll stand by Jay's right to make changes as he sees fit.

The bug, on the other hand, was done without his knowledge (presumably), and therefore is an alteration without permission. So - bug gets the thumbs down while the new credits (reluctantly) gets the thumbs up.

RomanSohor

Second Unit
I agree about the opening, I really liked someof the other openings/closing the show had... maybe the Ward family will be cool and include them all as a bonus feature on a future R&B season. The bug doesn't bug me at all :) But that's just me...

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
I don't care if it was Ward's personal choice or not frankly, it has been seen one way in the people's eyes for all of these years and to go altering that after the fact is tampering with something that is no longer his anymore, at least the bug was done for security reasons.

Paul

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Um. . . no longer his. What the hell are you talking about, man? He was the creator, he was the creative force behind the show - if not his, then who the hell does it belong to?!?

Sorry, man - your argument is flawed.

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
It is like what they did recently to ET and now with the Star Wars movies coming out on DVD with special new footage, the people who watched the movies and love them don't want to see all of these classics changed years after the fact. The people have an image of what these classics are in their mind that they own.

The Jay Ward who changed the intros was an old man, he wasn't the Jay Ward who did these cartoon when he was younger and that goes for Speilberg and Lucas too. When people grow older, their tastes change and they simply aren't the same people they were years ago. It would be like if Shakespeare were to come back from the dead and start changing his plays around. Once things are set, they are set and they can't be unset or tinkered with to such radical degrees because the author thinks he has a better idea.

Paul

Al (alweho)

Second Unit
In this era of modern technology we can have it both ways. E.T. for example, was made available as a two disc set with both original and altered versions.

I don't mind changes so much IF the original version is made available in some manner to the consumer (either via a second disc, seamless branching, or through a choice of audio tracks).

If consumers are loud enough, home video companies (and the Spielbergs of the world) will listen. Even Lucas will notice if sales are not what they should be for his Star Wars box set.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

Well, that's the biggest bunch of nonsense I've ever heard. This quaint notion that you somehow 'own' the show because you have some fond memories from your distant youth is a bunch of hogwash.

As the artist responsible for the work, it is completely their right to do whatever the hell they want to with it. If Jay Ward wanted to paint out Boris and replace him with a "kid friendly" dinosaur, or make Bullwinkle pink, then so be it. I may not like it, but it's totally his right. It's his freakin' TV show after all.

That being said, I'm not fond of the new titles. I do wish they had included the old version instead. It's just one more strike against the set already crippled by That Damn Bug.

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
I wouldn't mind if they including the originals with the edited like they do for Disney movies, but they really aren't giving the consumer a choice.

What you don't seem to understand that Rocky & Bullwinkle is a nostalgia buy. If they want fans of the show to buy it, they can't go altering things that they have come to love about the series and expect people to buy it. The people's image of this show is already set in their head and when creators go changing it, the product is not the same and most consumers when the buy the series do not know this in advance so they are basically defrauding their customers and if you think people aren't angry, just look at the thread of altered titles on the top of this board from people who are passionate about their TV and want to see them in their original format.

Does Jay Ward have the legal right? Yes he does. But after a certain point, it is like some joe blow off the street changing these shows. How many people are the same people they were ten years ago let alone twenty?

Paul

RomanSohor

Second Unit
With all this talk about keeping copyrights active by making small changes... I don't get it... why would there be a worry about Rocky & Bullwinkle going PD, when Disney doesn't seem to be worried about Steamboat Willie?

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
R&B is a difficult case in many ways, not least of which is that the "episodes" are not actually what was originally aired much of the time. Segments were mixed and matched and repeated later in the season when they were short. Dudley Do-Right wasn't in the 1st season at all, but there he is on the season 1 discs. The opening credits on the S1 set are from S2, as I recall (so the S2 set should be all right on that count--I haven't looked at it) So they're seriously compromised sets from the word go. Even though I loathe bugs, given the fact these are so compromised, they really don't make a lot of difference to me. Paradoxically, if they had gotten everything else right the bug would bother me a lot more.

All that said, I'm perfectly happy to have these on DVD. :)

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brandon
Allow me to introduce myself. O. A. Ratio, DVD reviewer, at your service!

This set is absolutely loaded with gags, puns, pratfalls, clever ironies, and a moose with a "ukelooloo." While the first season partially broke the fourth wall, the second season sent metal munching moon mice to demolish it. It's always a hoot to hear the banter between the characters and the narrator. My favorite R & B episodes of this season were the moon mice and Greenpernt Oogler shows.

The fairy tales, Aesop, Peabody, and Dudley are a mixed bag, but there are some real gems in there. I always like hearing the voice of the sly fox or the clever merchant (the one that sounds like Yogi Bear).

The special features were about the same as on the first season, which is to say almost nonexistent. The interview with June Foray (voice of Rocky and Natasha) was the best feature, and the sneak peek at Season 3 has me looking forward to the return of Fearless Leader.

As far as the bug goes, I didn't even know it was there in the first season. After reading comments about it, I do see it occasionally, but I can quickly forget about it and just watch the introduction.

My only real problem with this set is the placement of chapter stops. I would much rather have them after the introduction of each segment. This would allow a person to skip to the material rather than watch the same intros over and over again or practice precision fast forwarding.

The bottom line is that you can get roughly 18 hours of entertainment for around $25 (US). Hoo boy! What a bargain!

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
sorry for the revival, but I was just curious if anyone knew of future plans for the rest of the R&B&F DVDs, it seems there were a dozen or so seasons according to imdb and I was just curious if you guys knew if all plan to be released. I'm the type who if I buy 1 season, I'm gonna buy them all. I recently bought Season 1 simply because I picked it up very cheap, so I'm just curious. Thanks

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
Hmm where did you find out that from? imdb lists the seasons as 1961-1973...if there's only 5, I'd spring on the rest for sure.

Just checked out tvtome and they list the show as 1959-1964, 5 seasons with '59-61 on ABC, and '61-64 on NBC. Wonder where imdb got those numbers from?

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brandon
This is a bit tangential, but what are the proofs of purchase good for? The first one said to "Keep your eyes peeled!", but I never saw any promotional offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks