What's new

Any opinions on Leatherman tools? (1 Viewer)

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Always wanted an all-in-one tool. When I saw a deal posted on Fatwallet for a Leatherman, I thought it would be a perfect time to buy. Still would like some opinions on this particular model especially since it appears that it's near the top-of-the-line model:

Leatherman Charge Ti

Its SRP looks to be $124, but all the major retailers sell it for $99. So, given that Sharper Image (only at B&M) seems to be clearing them out at $80, when this $20 off $75 purchase coupon is applied, it seems to be a pretty good deal for a final of $60 + tax.

I've called a number of Sharper Image stores around town and they all have good stock.

Jump or steer clear?

Jon_Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
I love my leatherman. Just make sure the knife blades are on the outside and you don't have to open the tool to get at the knives. This was a big plus for the leatherman I have. I have the leatherman wave. It will not be a tool for everything, but will get the quick jobs done when you need a tool quick. I can't mention all the times when I was somewhere when someone or myself needed a tool on my leatherman. I think of them as swiss army knives on steroids.

I bought my Leatherman Wave about 3 years ago for about $80. So if you can get this one for what you say, then it's a good deal.

Mark Sherman

Supporting Actor
I also have the WAVE. Paid about 70-75 for it at wally world. Love the thing I once did a full install including cutting the Drywalls for inwalls.

Be careful with the blades, they will take off your pinky faster than you can say YAKUZA. IE Very sharp

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i have one too (not sure which model, but it's several years old) that i keep in my car at all times. i've been planning on getting one for my wifes car too.

darn thing has already come in handy more times then i can imagine. it still works perfectly. still very sharp (i just used it to cute some rope), it doesn't squeak, the hinges are still tight, etc.

admittedly i don't use it very often, but i am impressed with it.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
One of my friends works on reliability testing at Leatherman (i.e. opening and closing the blade 100k times, etc.). After hearing what these things go through before they are placed on the market I'd strongly recommend them. Leathermans are a little more pricey than other tools but the quality (and 25yr warrantee) make it the better option (IMO).

AaronMg

Stunt Coordinator
I have a leatherman wave. I got it a couple of years ago as a graduation present. Its a great multi tool, and yes the blade is extremely sharp.

Phill O

Stunt Coordinator
When I was deployed, I had both the Leatherman Wave and the Gerber Multitool. I liked them both and used the heck out of both while I was in the middle east. In fact I remeber using them to do critical repairs in the middle of a mission.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I'm a gerber man myself (not to be confused with a gerber baby). The gerber has an advantage in that it can be opened easily one handed... which has saved me more times than i can count.

It's funny, in pro audio everyone carries and uses Gerber, but all the video and film guys here in LA all swear by leathermen... weird culture difference in tools, lol.

Ari

Stunt Coordinator
I bought the Charge Ti around a month back. It's my first multitool and I love it. Feels sturdy, one hand opening, tons of driver bits, extremely sharp. Only drawbacks are size and heft if you plan on carrying it in your pocket...but then again they include a nice pouch, lanyard and clip so there are alternatives to that...scissors could also have been a bit larger.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
I've owned both a simple Leatherman and a Gerber (which I still have)....I like the Gerber better, as vince said, because of the sliding action that lets you open the pliers with one hand.

I used mine daily as a network engineer, and I just used the one I keep around the kitchen to pop open my keychain to add another key. But beware if you are the type of guy (like me) to leave stuff lying or loan it and forget who you loaned it to, cause these things grow legs like crazy if left alone. I lost 2 in a year! Also you may want to upgrade the holster if you are going to wear it a lot, my gerber wore thru the nice nylon holster in about a year from where the metal tip kept rubbing the bottom of the pouch.

Joel...Lane

Second Unit
Real Name
Joel
I've had mine forever and LOVE IT! It really does come in handy. I see the one you're looking at has locking blades. That's a must. My first one was smaller and the blades didn't lock when they were open. So I had to be very careful when using it. My current one is bigger and heavier and the blades lock when opened so you don't have to worry about losing a finger!

Definitely worth the price.:emoji_thumbsup:

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
That's a really good deal for a great tool. I received the Wave as a groomsman gift. Too bad I lost it. :frowning: I've been looking for a deal like this but alas, there are no stores near me. :frowning:

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I forgot to mention that I sent my Leatherman mini in for service (I lost it outside and found it a year later with some rust on it). Leatherman completely fixed and cleaned the knife (even though I mistreated it) and returned it to me within a week.

Vince, many Leathermans offer 1-handed opening (for various blades). Gerber offers it on their pliers. I can see where it's a personal decision (which tool to you use more often, etc.).

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
If you can get a Charge Ti for $60, it's what I would call a no brainer :p) Run don't walk, you won't regret it. A Swiss Army knife is a gadget, a Leatherman is a tool.

I got the original Wave for Christmas a number of years ago. Carried it all the time and got lots of use out of it. Approximately a year ago I gave it to my dad and bought a Charge Ti (not the XTi, needed to have the sissors). Got one right when they first came out.

The Wave design has changed to match the Charge Ti, but has a lower grade steel in the blades (same steel as the orignal Wave) and doesn't have titanium handles. The titanium handles don't get you much, but the steel on my Charge takes a much better edge than my original Wave ever did. Which justifies the higher cost over the Wave to me. Like any good knife, the edge won't last forever. Under heavy use not that long at all actually. I maintain mine regularly. Personally I use and would recommend the Sypderco Triangle Sharp Maker for this. Standard Sharp Maker kit allows you to maintain pretty much any edge, including serrated ones. But if you need to bring some beaten up blades back, you'll have to spring for the very coarse diamond coated triangle stones they offer. They work extremely well, but costs more than the kit for two of them.

The interchangeable bit drivers on the Charge and new Wave are also awesome. Complete useable screwdriver set with you at all times. Another big improvement with the Charge and new Wave is every tool locks, not just the blades. Also the pliers and wire cutter have been beefed up a bunch.

I couldn't imagine carring mine in a pocket, too big. But in sheath on my belt, doesn't bother me. Leatherman's sheaths are top notch. My orginal waves nylon sheath lasted me for years, and is still wearing extremely well for my dad. I got the leather sheath for my charge. Only regret. I'll be buying a nylon one soon. The button snap closure just isn't as good as the velcro. Keeps popping open when I catch it on things. The leather one sure looks nice though.

I completely agree with Greg_R for the Gerber vs Leatherman. If the pliers are what you use most by far, Gerber is it. If not I'd stick with Leatherman.

Adam.Heckman

Second Unit
http://www.gerbertools.com/Gerber-Mu...egend-8239.htm

GERBER!

I own a Gerber multi-tool, which has been mentioned in this thread. I have also owned multiple Leathermen. (Is that the plural?) Anyways, the Gerber hands down wins.

One handed blade/scissor opening, better locking action, and the tensioned pliers are awesome! Also, it's so much more ergenomical (sp?) than any of the leathermen I own. As an added bonus, it's so much sexier than the leathermen, definately stands out in the crowd.

I would definately say go to a decent knife/tool shop and hold the Gerber in your hand, open it, inspect it. I'm sure you'll love it!!

BTW, I'm not trashing Letherman at all. They make quality products that will last a life time. I just think that the Gerber has better features and is much easier to use, for the same price (give or take).

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Another Gerber user here as well, a friend of mine and I traded for a week (he has the leatherman) and we both were much happier after a week of getting back our "babies". I guess it really comes down to either which one you get used to first or preference on how they have some of the tools and it's accessibility. You'll be happy with whichever quality brand you buy.

Jamie Doucette

Stunt Coordinator
I've owned a Swiss Army Victorinox Swisstool since they first came out (well, two actually). I don't think they are as "sexy" looking as the Gerbers or Lethermans, but if you plan on getting heavy usage out of a tool, I say look at the Swiss.

The reason I owned two, was my first one broke (my fault) after 4 years of heavy usage and abuse. I mailed the broken one to their repair depot with a letter, and the sent me a brand new one in the box with case and all for free! (It only cost me $7 shipping one way). I love their life time warranty and their customer service.

That said, some associates of mine use Lethermans, and they love it just as much as I love Swiss Army.

Take a look here

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks