What's new

Any news on when The Odd Couple is coming to DVD? (1 Viewer)

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
This show is one of the funniest and most overlooked television programs of alltime. I can't believe there isn't even a mention as to when or if it may be released on DVD. Has Paramount commented at all on its possible release?

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
I'm with both of you.

Please, powers that be, throw us a bone!

What I find amusing these days, is that it used to be if a movie was very popular, it was turned into a TV show - such as The Odd Couple or MASH. Nowadays, if a TV show does well, it is turned into a movie.

Have you noticed, though, that in many cases it does not seem like the casting choices between the TV show/movie crossovers are very well thought out?

IMHO, the only movie/TV show crossover where the casting was inspired in both cases was The Odd Couple. Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau were hilarious in the movie, and Jack Klugman and Tony Randall were just as hilarious in the TV show. Perhaps it is because Neil Simon, who wrote the original play, also had a lot of influence over casting the movie and the show. The actors in both cases were very talented comedians - though there was originally resistance to Simon's choice of Walter Matthau to play Oscar. Matthau had played a lot of villains, and no one at the studio thought he could handle comedy! - and both sets of Oscar and Felix had great on screen chemistry.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
You know originally it Was Matthau and Art Carney who played Oscar and Felix on Broadway. The show has always had great casting. I feel this was far and away the best TV show ever done by Garry Marshall. Happy Days started out good, but once it became "The Fonzie Show" it quickly lost its charm. The Odd Couple, however, seemed to stay as fresh in the last season as it was in the first. Let's hope the powers that be are reading these message boards and know there's alot of interest in the show coming to DVD. With all the crap that comes out these days, this one should've been one of the great ones to have come out first!

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
TV Tome lists there was a reunion movie in 1993, I vaguely remember it, was it as bad as most TV Movie Reunion movies? Why is it they can never capture lightening in a bottle again?

Jack Platt

Stunt Coordinator
Guys,

From what our industry guys on this board know, will The Odd Couple be released sequentially or all six-seasons in a box set?

Jack

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I'd last heard there was a good chance for seeing this series on DVD in April 2006. But so far, there hasn't been any official announcement. Can anyone bring us up to date?

Jack Platt

Stunt Coordinator
Guys,

Any updates on The Odd Couple TV series DVD release dates? If not, any news as to what the hold-up might be?

Jack

Phyll

Stunt Coordinator
I hope it comes out this year. I just don't understand these companies that keep a lid on their vaults instead of putting more of the good shows out. If done right I think they would sell a respectable amount. I think part of the reason Happy Days and Laverne and Shirley didn't do as well as expected is because the sets were more expensive and had less episodes. They should have put out the first two season together for the price that they were charging. In my area the sets were going for $50. They were not available at any other local discount chain. Mork and Mindy was though. Guess which one I have? Duh!!
Mork and Mindy!! I just hope that the Odd Couple comes out soon. It was such a good classic sitcom-and very funny!! I haven't seen it in a very long time. I would buy the Odd Couple in a heartbeat.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Every day I search this forum looking for news of THE ODD COUPLE. It's my most wanted item at the moment. And I want all five seasons! ;)

Jack Platt

Stunt Coordinator
Guys,

I just wonder if Jack or Tony's family may be holding out with residual demands/copyright issues preventing the release. There are songs sung in the Odd Couple TV series, so could copyright concerns be at issue because of that? If you hear anything, let us know!

Jack

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
I know that a DVD release is being worked on. I also know that Paul Brownstein will be doing some work with the suppliments.

How do I know this?

Because I was contacted by Mr. Brownstein because I sometimes offer vintage commercial tapes. One of the tapes had a anti-smoking PSA with Tony Randell filmed on the Odd Couple set.

He asked about it and I let him borrow the source tape that had that commercial for possible use on the Odd Couple set.

I sent the tape to him and once he captured the commercial he sent the tape back to me with a Dick Van Dyke show season 4 set (I already had it but it was a nice gesture).

Anyway, it's in the works.

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
Ask him if he needs the Savings Bond film that they did together while the show was on. I have a great copy of it.

Tony S

Stunt Coordinator
My memory by be sketchy, but I seem to recall a commerical they did about 25-30 years ago for Triple Yahtzee. Or it may have been Challenge Yahtzee. Anyone remeber this?

RoyM

Stunt Coordinator
I don't remember the Yahtzee commercial, but I have a vague recollection of the smoking PSA. I also remember a public service commercial they did about salmonella. Felix asks Oscar if he knows what salmonella is, and Oscar responds "Yeah, he's that third baseman for Oakland" - a reference to Sal Bando, who was the third baseman for the World Series Champion Oakland A's at the time. Funny stuff...

Mike*SC

Second Unit
I remember the Yahtzee commercial. I can't help you beyond that, except to assure you you didn't dream it. Unless you're dreaming this post, too...

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

I recall it very vividly. It was for "Challenge Yahtzee".
Oscar excitedly runs into the apartment holding the game in his hands. From memory, it's pretty close to this:

FELIX: "What have you got in the box?"

OSCAR: (teasing) "None of your business!"

FELIX: (pouting) "Aww, come on, tell me...."

OSCAR: (holding up the game): "CHALLENGE YAHTZEE!!!!!"

FELIX: "Challenge....Yahtzee....??"

(Felix and Oscar sit down at the dining room table where Oscar begins to explain how the game is played)

FELIX: "Oh, what cute little dice!"

OSCAR: (I don't recall, but he tells Felix what those "cute little dice" are used for)

FELIX: (fussing like a child): "First I go for the ones... then I go for the twos.... then I go for the threes...."

OSCAR: (getting aggravated): "You've gotta be bold, innovative!"

FELIX: (shakes his head stubbornly): "I'd rather be neat."

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
Michael Alden

please email me at [email protected] and I will provide you with Paul Brownstein's email and phone number. At present he has the savings bond film captured from a low quality VHS, if you somehow have it in better quality (especially if it's on film) he definataly wants to talk with you.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
With Mr. Brownstein at the helm, this is bound to be a great set of DVDs. The work he did with the Van Dyke series was phenomenal.

Besides Klugman, who is still alive from this show that could contribute? Al Molinaro is alive, but I have no idea what his health is like. Would Penny Marshall be willing to relive one of her early roles?

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks