What's new

Any news on Raging Bull:SE? (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member

Yes, but apparently The Academy would disagree with you as it wasn't even the best film released that year!

:rolleyes

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I didn't know there will be the 2-disc set and a movie-only disc (for about half the price).

All I know is this has been a long wait as I've held off from buying the non-anamorphic version.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I just got the box set yesterday. Awesome quality. It's sturdier than most book slipcases. If that 2 disc SE of NY comes out, I'll probably just swap it. All the movies look fanatastic, and all the covers are stamped the the Martin Scorsese Collection stamp so they are unified withen the box. The Last Waltz does not contain the plastic slipcase from the first release. Raging Bull apears to be the same packing that the street version well have (Digipack, and a beutiful one at that!)

One of the best $30 I've spent!:emoji_thumbsup:

Rosscoe M

Grip
Hey , Russell- do the covers and backs have the french translation of everything...please let me know as , I'd prefer English only....thanks

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I'm a little confused now... there's a 2-disc edition with extras and than a movie only edition?

Which one will be included in the Scorsese box set along with Box Car Bertha, NY NY & The Last Waltz?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Gordon.

And all the discs in the box-set should come in regular amaray keepcases except for Raging Bull which will be packaged in a digipack?

I'm really looking forward to this release next week... can anyone post pictures of the set all laid-out to further entice me?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

The one I got from DVDSOON is all english packaging, no french to be seen, and all discs are in amaray cases, except for the 2 disc Raging Bull digipack. "Boxcar" and "Waltz" are the same as the previous releases as far as features go, with the exception being "Waltz" doesn't have the clear slipcase that it intitially had. "NY,NY" is single disc. Looking at the case, which is a heavy card box, with a card slipcase that fit's inside, with the discs in the slip case, It looks like there would be enough wiggle room to fit a 2 disc digipack of "NY,NY" if/when it comes out, as long as it's no larger than the "Raging" digi.

I'm not really one for packaging, but I have to say this is the nicest box I've got. The boxs feels like a heavy bound book, and makes the Warners boxes look pretty flimsey in comparison (I'm not talking CONTENTS!). A very classy set.

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
DvdBeaver has a comparison of the new 2 disc SE with the old versions up now.

-Reagan

Mick Wright

Second Unit
I picked up this disc early and it was well worth the wait. The image is a lot better, and the audio sounds about like I thought--not much different than the two channel mix. The supplements are all very interesting, especially the stuff with Jake Lamotta. In the video interviews with him, you can tell the poor guy's nose has been pounded flat... the price of a granite chin.

The packaging is very nice also.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
perhaps that's what they recieved as a screener?

MGM does usually stick with keepcases though, it'd also make more sense for a box-set packaging. I'd be happy if they were right.

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H
I just saw this at the Ziegfeld in NYC. It was just beautiful on the big screen. Can't wait to pick up this SE.

MattHR

Screenwriter

In my hands right now: RAGING BULL (SE) in DigiPak with cardboard sleeve, like MGM's ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK (SE).

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Russell G: I just got "Waltz" a short while ago and haven't even opened it yet. Just curious about yours, as mine doesn't have a clear slipcase, but a fairly nice-looking cardboard one. Does the Waltz in the Collection sound the same as the one I got? With the booklet? I ask because I ordered the Collection from DVDSoon a couple weeks ago (don't have it yet), and might as well return the separate Waltz if they're similar. [I paid almost as much for the Waltz locally as the whole Collection cost from DVDS!] Thanks.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

NO! Waltz in the boxset has no slipcase at all (I thought it was clear, similar to the other MGM slipcases for Fargo and Usual Suspects), and no booklet. Content should be the same thought, from the back of the disc in the set:

2 Audio commentaries by the director and musicians
Rare, unseen Footage
Behind The Scenes Featurette.

Boxcar just has a trailer. I think the discs are the same as the previous release, except for the case and such. If I were you, I'd keep the slipcase and book from your current waltz, put them in the boxset (it should fit in the packaging) and flip the old disc at a used book store (probably get about $7-$10 for it.), but if you havn't opened it, I would probably return it and buy another disc out of the money. It depends on your preference for the packaging.

When you get the box, maybe you could verify that the Waltz disc is the same content wise?

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^^
Thanks for checking Russell. (Guess this should really be in the MS Collection thread...) As mentioned in many threads, MGM regularly removes stuff (content/packaging) from many SE's and still titles them as the SE with the same UPC as the fully contented SE...so I will be sure to compare Waltz contents before returning the "old" one. It may be a while since my Collection isn't even slated for shipping yet...somebody else will probably beat me to the comparison/check. [FWIW, the Waltz SE with original slipcover/booklet sells for peanuts now (price drop about a month ago) so a "used" Collection copy won't be worth much.]

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Looking closer at the Waltz disc, it carries a copyright of 2002, so I'm guessing it's just a repack of the previous disc. Anyone seen a comparison?

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"I didn't know there will be the 2-disc set and a movie-only disc (for about half the price)."

Circuit City and Best Buy near me only had the 2 disc version. I was gonna get the movie only version but ended up with the 2 disc.

BIG :emoji_thumbsup: on the packaging. Very nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks