What's new

Any News On Paramount Releasing Cannon Season 3 Volume 1? (1 Viewer)

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
Henry, thanks for the video clip. That does look pretty good. I'm not complaining about the picture quality of the Cannon releases. I am very glad to be able to watch this show again. I love Cannon's self-deprecating humor. So when I watch I just imagine myself in a time warp. If this is the best we can get I will gladly take it, and would be happy to take it twice again for seasons 4 and 5.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
True to form, Frank CANNON, Season 3 arrived in my mailbox today, large and in charge (stuffed with 6 discs, the complete season and a nice change of pace from the half season sets we've been getting over the last few years). In case other CANNON fans are wondering, the print quality seems to be on par with the previous DVD releases (in other words, the normal mediocre quality transfers that appear to have been taken from videotape masters in the 80s), even though these discs are on the cheaper DVD-R's, manufactured on demand. The static menus are similiar as well to the previous sets. Episodic promos are once again included. However, the packaging leaves a little more to be desired. We get a flimsier black plastic case this time around, sleek but not quite as sturdy as the normal slim cases CBS DVD uses on their retail releases. The images used on the rear cover are fuzzy screenshots that are haphazardly photoshopped and somewhat horizontally stretched to fit their cover template (the same template used in the previous releases). The spine omits the customary season number that we've seen on previous releases and now simply has text stating 'Season Three', no big deal but unusually inconsistent for a company that usually strives to maintain a consistent look and feel for their DVD releases. However, the most disappointing aspect is the complete lack of episode descriptions on the inside jacket--there's nothing, zip, zilch, leaving us to merely guess at what the plots are of these episodes, since these are not clear cases like they've used previously. However, I got this from Amazon for $31 for a complete season, which is less than what I paid for the half-season volumes previously, so I guess that helps make me feel a little better, along with the fact that CBS DVD has resumed this classic QM show, one of my favorite TV detectives (Mannix being my favorite). Hopefully we won't have to wait too much longer for Seasons 4 and 5. I'm grateful that MOD is the great savior that we have to thank for the Return of Frank Cannon. BTW, the first episode of the season is a tense 2-parter guest starring David Janssen as a man wrongly accused of murdering his wife (gotta love that!) in "He Who Digs a Grave". This is CANNON at its best and a fantastic start to the season. Despite the packaging shortcomings, I definitely recommend this release to CANNON fans who've purchased the previous volumes. It's great to have the Big Guy back on the job!

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Mine shipped the other day, hopefully it'll arrive soon. Janssen was extremely busy on TV around this time, O'Hara U.S. Treasury and loads of TV movies. Wonder if his estate is against a release of that Universal series. It'd make an ideal choice for Timeless, I should think. Anyway, looking forward to seeing the Cannon set and what they (CBS) have in store for us next.

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Hey Jeff thanks for the Cannon Season 3 Review! I have a question. What is the running times of the episodes and the total running time for the set. Amazon lists only 960 minutes and that would be way too short for the whole Season. I hope Amazon just has the running time wrong. Thanks! Robert

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
The case lists the total running time as 20 hours and 58 minutes. Since I got the set last month I've watched about 13 episodes and they are all running at around 50 minutes. The case also said that some episodes might be edited from their original version. I only noticed that the very first episode (with David Janssen) seemed to be slightly edited, but it was only the transitions between scenes, so you didn't see the usual "Act I", etc. Overall, it is great to finally have more of this show and I hope CBS will release the last two seasons soon.

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Thanks for the information Glenn! I have ordered Cannon Season 3 from Amazon and look forward to watching all the episodes. The 3rd Season of Cannon is incredible in how great the episodes are with nearly every one of them being great or very good. Cannon acheived its highest rating during the 3rd Season and you can see why! You can't beat the 3rd Season of Cannon! Take Care! Robert

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
I would definitely agree with that Robert, Cannon's one of those shows that just got better and better as it went on. Can't quite put my finger on why I'm not completely ovewhelmed by the first two seasons, though they do have some good episodes in there, but the writing in most stories didn't evolve and grab me in a way I'd prefer like the later ones did. Funny how this situation is almost the opposite, for me anyway, of that other Paramount five-season runner Streets of San Francisco.

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Thanks for the comments Henry! Actually, I think overall the first 3 Seasons of Cannon are the best. In my opinion, nearly every episode in Cannon Seasons 1,2, and 3 are excellent . very good, or good. Also, Cannon's wardrobe is the best these 3 Seasons with a great variety of Suits and jackets. The music and the tone of the series with Conrad's humor, etc. is the best for the 1st 3 Seasons. The 4th Season of Cannon is good, but not the same high level of excellent episodes as the first 3 Seasons. The 5th Season of Cannon is the worst with a lot of mediocre episodes and several terrible episodes. Cannon's wardrobe is not good. He practically abandoned suits. Also the tone of the series is not as good either. Cannon does not seem to have as much humor and many of the stories involve unsympathetic characters. Just my opinion Henry and I respect the fact yours may be different than mine! That is what makes TV Shows and Movies so great- everyone can have their own opinion! Anyway I hope we get all 5 Seasons of Cannon on DVD ! Take Care! Robert

handley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Got my Season 3 set yesterday and look forward to digging into it this weekend!

Now if they could get a move on with getting season 4 of cannon relased as well as season two of barnaby jones

Mr. Pacino

Second Unit
Real Name
Nico
Tim Gregerson said:
Now if they could get a move on with getting season 4 of cannon relased as well as season two of barnaby jones
and "Matt Houston-Season 2" please...

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
My brother and I received our Cannon Season 3 from Amazon this week. I have been just spot checking parts of individual episodes. The transfers appear to be about the same as Seasons 1 and 2. It is a shame that the seemingly one series CBS Paramount has put out not remastered had to be Cannon! Cannon is given no respect! I wish so much that Cannon would have been treated like all the other CBS series- Mannix, Hawaii Five-O, Streets of San Francisco, etc. with remastered picture and audio. With that being said, I do thank CBS for at least putting Cannon out for sale. The DVDS look fine if we don't try to compare them to what they could look like ie Mannix, Hawaii Five-O etc. Actually, the DVDS would have to look better than what people who watched the shows when they originnaly ran saw in 1971-1974 due to the superior TV capabilities today. So I am thanful for what we have and I would recommend that everyone who is a Cannon fan pucrchase Cannon Season 3. You will enjoy it! If you are not a Cannon fan, then I would suggest that it is a great series and you might want to get Cannon Season 3! You may become a fan after watching these great episodes! God Bless! Robert

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
Has anyone heard a whiff of hope for a Cannon season 4 release in 2013? I was thrilled to get season 3 last year and was hoping that MOD might mean CBS would “fast-track” the last two seasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks