What's new

Any news on Grease S.E? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It looks like 9/12/06 is the date of release for "Grease: Rockin' Rydell Edition". It features a 16x9 transfer for its 2.35 AR.

Finally! Hopefully the reviews will be better than the original release, I've really wanted to own this for quite a while, but wasn't willing to put up with the inferior initial release.

Ryan Wong

Stunt Coordinator
Hope it's a new and better transfer. I own the original release and think the transfer is quite satisfying.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I read somewhere that the Coke ads were blurred before the original theatrical release, because the company didn't want to be associated with the raunchy film. I hope the new release contains the original Paramount logo at the beginning and end of the film.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
You know, at this point, with a HD/Blu-Ray purchase imminent
in the next 9 months, I am sort of thinking about waiting on this
release because it is one of the "essential" films that I would want
in my collection.

I talked about this earlier in this thread....

If Paramount does the right thing here and remasters this film, it
should look and sound incredible. They did such a great job with
the audio on Footloose.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
So is Paramount only re-issuing existing titles? There are so many films missing on DVD including Looking For Mr. Goodbar, Bugsy Malone, Love with the Proper Stranger, Summer & Smoke, etc.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
The problem I had with the previous transfer was that some scenes looked great, while others looked horrible. And let's not even talk about the sound. Grease deserves better. I also noticed that the new release will feature deleted scenes. I wonder what those are?

BTW, I wonder if Grease 2 will be re-released as well, with extra features. I know there are some deleted scenes from that film as well.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

there was a list a while back, that may have come out of CES, where a list of Paramounts likely 06 titles on HD DVD included Grease.

I will be VERY happy if they get that out day and date with the new SE, and even happier if it is not the same EE'd transfer that is on the current disc.
Originally I didn't see the problem other people were having with it, but compared to some of the remastered 70s era titles that Fox for instance has been releasing, there is clearly room for improvment.

In fact, the strong rumours of Grease getting a relativley early release on HD DVD was yet another one of the motiviating factors to buy into the system now for me. Beyond that and Braveheart though, Paramounts list didn't offer a lot of titles I'm interested in to be honest.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
DVD Times has the news on Grease SCE; (Rockin' Rydell Edition) including the art:

Paramount Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Grease (Rockin' Rydell Edition) for 19th September 2006 priced at $19.99 SRP. John Travolta solidified his position as the most versatile and magnetic screen presence of the decade in this film version of the smash hit play Grease. Recording star Olivia Newton-John made her American film debut as Sandy, Travolta's naive love interest. The impressive supporting cast reads like a "who's who" in this quintessential musical about the fabulous '50s. Grease is not just a nostalgic look at a simpler decade--it's an energetic and exciting musical homage to the age of rock 'n' roll!

Features are TBC, but extras should include over 70-minutes of new material as recently passed by the BBFC for the TBA UK release

Introduction by Randal Kleiser
The Time, The Place, The Motion: Remembering Grease (22mins)
The Moves Behind the Music (8mins)
50’s Beauty School 101 (6mins)
Thunder Roadsters (5mins)
Extended & Deleted Scenes with Introduction by Randal Kleiser
John Travolta and Allan Carr Grease Day Interview (2mins)
Olivia Newton-John and Robert Stigwood Grease Day Interview (2mins)
Grease on DVD Launch Party (15mins)

Got to love that packaging!

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
That is excellent cover art, and the leather jacket sleeve is a great idea. I'll definitely double dip on this one. "Grease" is one DVD I watch quite often so it'll be nice to have a full fledged special edition. The extras (assuming they're accurate) will be great to see as well. I liked the retrospective they showed on the existing DVD, especially the premiere footage.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I haven't followed the whole remixed soundtrack thing, but I assume the inclusion of the 2.0 track is good news.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Original Paramount Logo, Original Paramount Logo, Original Paramount Logo.........please!

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
No mention of a new transfer. :frowning: The current dvd's transfer isn't all that great.

Magnus T

Supporting Actor

That's an understatement. I'll do you one better, I will not buy this release unless they get clearence to use those damn Coca - Cola ads. The optical censoring sticks out like a sore thumb.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
The Coke ads were blurred when the film premiered in 1978, so I have no problem with the blurring, no matter how bad it looks. But I do want the original Paramount logo. Special music was used for Grease with the logo, and the way it fades in with "is the word, is the word, is the word" after the end credits is cool.

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
DVD Times is now saying:
But I don't see any mention of it on the photo of the front of the box. Maybe it's on the back.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks