What's new

Any news on a Region 1 edition of Godzilla: Final Wars? (1 Viewer)

Travis W.

Second Unit
Has anyone heard a rumor or just anything in general about Godzilla Final Wars coming to DVD. I'd assume since it's a pretty high profile title that Sony would be trying to release it on Region 1 as fast as possible (to curve the oncoming swarm of bootleg discs).

John KB

Second Unit
Good question. I forgot about this one. I have all the recent ones. Has it been released over seas yet?

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I went and saw it at the Egyptian Theatre on its first USA showing a few monthes ago.

There were quite a few kids in the audience and it was shown in Japanese with English subtitles. My 11 year old grandson asked me to change it back to English dubbing when we were watching the lastest Toho pics from Media Blaster because he couldn't read the subtitles fast enough...poor kids that night!

I love all the Godzillas and their spin-offs, but, I have to say this one was a piece of crap. Everything was thrown in it but the kitchen sink!

It had the most incoherent plot I have ever had the pleasure of trying to understand. At least it had the action scenes for the kids.

This will be one Toho production that will not adorn my DVD shelves.

Travis W.

Second Unit

I was a little worried that would be the case. With so much to cram into the supposed last Godzilla film, that was bound to happen. I still want to see it for myself though.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I thought that was kind of the fun. I sort of expected that with Ryuhei Kitamura directing, so I went in looking at it as both Godzilla and Kitamura goodness and had a blast.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Still would love to see it. If a November release date is true and based on the comments so far from viewers who saw it, I would be glad a DVD release and not a major theatrical release. I remember I went to see Godzilla 2000 with great expectation and was duly disapppointed.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Why not a theatrical release? I speak as a guy lucky enough to see it on the big screen twice, and the first (at Fantasia in Montreal) was one of my favorite moviegoing experiences of the year. I really think that if Toho had sprung for a recognizable American actor as Captain Gordon, they could have made some good money with a U.S. theatrical release.

Dannie

Stunt Coordinator
u dont need a region1 release just import the jp import! the guy who speaks english in hte movie goes over all the stuff the japanese peeps say anyway and there is no way sony will hav anywhere near the amount of extras the 3disc has

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Well, since you ask, I would go if I had in the area. Anyone know if it's showing in the N.Y. OR CT area.

TedT

Second Unit

LOL. Yeah, I noticed this while watching it last weekend. The funny thing was that although the Japanese only spoke Japanese and the guy who speaks English only spoke English, but they all understood one another! Why didn't the Japanese guys talking to the American guy talk to him in English? Or vice versa? Or why not everyone speak in English? Or Japanese? I guess it was a Han Solo/Chewbacca type of thing.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Just to keep it alive for Godzilla fans, Dec. 13 2005 for R1 release of Final Wars. Will have the original Japanese Dialogue as well as english dub 5.1 and anamorphic video.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
It's good, goofy fun, with too much MATRIX-inspired alien/humanoid silliness but fun monster action (and there are a LOT of monsters, leaping, rather than lumbering, across the screen). I liked it on balance (and I don't like the 70s entries, which FINAL WARS references) but I do think an appreciative audience like the one I had helps. It is to Godzilla what DIE ANOTHER DAY is to the Bond pictures, a potpourri of references and homages shaken and stirred. [The quick flop of GODZILLA 2000 here is why none of the subsequent films has gotten a theatrical release.]

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

I hope it still has the English speaking actors speaking English as they did in the orig. Japanese release (with English subs), and not everybody is dubbed into Japanese as in an option on the R2 disc. I've heard Don Frye's campy (English) dialogue is one of the main fun things in the movie!

Looking forward to finally seeing this. I liked Kitamura's Versus and loved his Azumi, so can't wait to see what he does with the Godzilla franchise.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I enjoyed it, far from being the best or ultimate Godzilla flick, but monstrously good fun.
Everything but the kitchen sink has been thrown into this edition, even Roland Emmerich's 1998 Godzilla (or something that looks a lot like it) has a cameo here.:)

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
I'm in the process of watching the Japanese DVD right now (region free). There are several lines of dialogue in English with no subtitle.

Pretty fun movie, a lot less serious than Giant Monsters Attack.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

Naughty, naughty...!;)

I sure hope the R1 rlease is dual layered. With a healthy selection of extras and a fairly long film (125 min. running time if I'm not mistaken), seems it'd suffer being crammed onto one DVD-5. Sony's not released any of their other G-films on a dual layered disc, but I hope Final Wars is the exception.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks