What's new

Any News About the Fox Marquee Musicals Series (1 Viewer)

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Fox is releasing a bunch oh musicals in UK in September, including 4 titles that were never released on dvd in USA: On the Avenue, The Gang's All Here, Second Fiddle and Sun Valley Serenade.
Does it mean that, in R1, we could have Alice Faye and Sonja Henie Collections, just like the Betty Grable one just released?
This would be a real treat. I am very curious to know what the future reserves for this incredible series.

Daniel BARBIEUX

Stunt Coordinator
Many Fox musicals have been released a few months ago in France, they include "Can-Can" (Walter Lang) and "Sun Valley Serenade", I am sure Fox willl release the other musicals like "Gang's All Here" and "on the Avenue" in the US soon.

It seems that strategy is different in Europe, for example, "Mogambo" is now available in the US but I bought the same version here in Belgium (same disc, same cover) in december 2004. Other major films I bought a long time ago in France is "Marie Walewska" (a great Garbo" film), "Moonfleet", "Picture of Dorian Gray", all these titles are still unavailable in America.

Daniel.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Are these being released under the "Fox Classics" banner?

I was hoping Fox U.K. would release some more early CinemaScope stuff, they released The Virgin Queen (1955) earlier this year which looks stunning, one of the best looking early 'Scope films out on DVD.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Great to hear that , Charles;
The Shocking Miss Pilgrim, another movie that was never released on any home video format.

Corey

Screenwriter

my blue heaven is already out in the betty grable collection. ususally when the uk gets them, they're usually down the pipeline. i saw snapshots of the newly restored virgin queen and it's stunning. on the other hand, i saw the wonderful WB print of party girl and hopefully that's coming out soon. dorian gray is set for next year.

Charles H

Screenwriter
A correction to post #5: The Drew Casper commentary on THE DOLLY SISTERS mentioned THE SHOCKING MISS PILGRIM as forthcoming (as well as THE GANG'S ALL HERE, PIN-UP GIRL, MY BLUE HEAVEN). The last two suggest that the commentary was done awhile ago. MY BLUE HEAVEN is gorgeous (with a subtler palette than is normal in musicals--more like IT'S ALWAYS FAIR WEATHER). The Casper commentaries on THE DOLLY SISTERS and MY BLUE HEAVEN are both excellent: technically astute and surprisingly gossipy.

Corey

Screenwriter

i heard hello frisco hello was next for the marquee musicals. i want springtime in the rockies.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
My Top 10 Most Wanted Fox Musicals List:
1 - The Gang's All Here
2 - That Night in Rio
3 - Hello Frisco Hello
4 - Margie
5 - Three Little Girls in Blue
6 - Centennial Summer
7 - Rose of Washington Square
8 - Springtime in the Rockies
9 - Tin Pan Alley
10- When My Baby Smiles At Me
Of course, every Fox musical that comes from the 30's to the 50's is very welcome, but I have a special care for those above mentioned.

Corey

Screenwriter
hopefully they just do an alice faye set. a tyrone set would be welcome too. i'm still waiting for blood and sand, the black swan & this above all

Richard M S

Screenwriter
Corey, THE BLACK SWAN comes out on DVD here in the US on July 11 - it is part of the Fox Studio Classics line. Amazon does not list the extras, but I believe it has a commentary by Maureen O'Hara. As I am sure you know, it is a very underrated film.

I have no idea how parts of it made it past the Hays Code censors.

That being said, Rafael's list of most-wanted musicals from Fox mirrors mine almost exactly. I would just add a few more Sonja Henie films.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Richard, as I said before, that is just my Top 10 most-wanted list.
Of course I'd buy, in a glimpse, any Sonja Henie movie from Fox. In fact, I am very hopeful they will soon release, at list, Sun Valley Serenade in USA, since it is already available in France, will be out in September in the UK and next month in Latin America.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
And King of the Khyber Rifles please! It was the 4th Fox CinemaScope film, and according to the credits, the first shot with the better Bausch & Lomb lenses.

Corey

Screenwriter

well now that the black swan is coming out, i would want son of fury to be released.

Users who are viewing this thread