What's new

Any news about Cary Grant: The Early Years? (1 Viewer)

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
TCM has a review stating that the transfers are very good, but it does not say anything about the discs being pressed or burnt.

I am only waiting for this information to make my order.

Has anyone received the box set?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Universal has done a very good job with the transfers. I have watched THE DEVIL AND THE DEEP completely and bits of the other two. I am very satisfied with the transfers.

Jim Bur

Stunt Coordinator
They're pressed discs. All three of the films looked good to me. Excellent job done by Univeral on this set. I hope it will inspire them to do a similar early Gary Cooper set with "The Virginian", "The Spoilers" and perhaps "Souls at Sea", though that is a little later in the 30's.

ColbyCo82

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
I bought the three disc set and they appear to be pressed discs. Also, by ordeng the films together they come in a gate-like (digipack?) that has very nice artwork behind the discs. The transfers seem typical for early to mid-30s Paramount films, meaning not pristine but very good. I have only watched Devil and the Deep completely through and the only problem I saw was that the black and white in certain scenes seemed a little inconsistent; the whites sometimes had a more yellowish tint than pure white. It was only usually for a few seconds, but it was noticeble. By the way, I didnt have high expectations for the film, but found it to be outstanding. A very underrated pre-code gem. Overall, very pleased with this and would buy more of this line.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Thank you, all. I will place my order right now.

The Durbin pictures (in the box set) were rescheduled from April 27, to June 09th. Maybe it's a sign they decided to present them in pressed discs instead of DVD-Rs (the single discs remains with a April 27 release date). i really hope so.

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kelly
Not that is should matter but are any extras included in this set?

As for the Durbin set I hate that we have to wait another month or two to see the Deanna Durbin set but I gues I can't complain if they are going to be pressed.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
^^^^^^

Eagle and the Hawk also gets a Robert Osborne introduction

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
The picture and audio quality of all 3 movies are on the same level with the 5 movies Universal released in 2006 as part of the Cary Grant Screen Legends Collection. The discs are pressed. The TCM Vault Collection has more extras than the Screen Legends Collection, but it doesn't have subtitles. I wish they would have been included, as subtitles are the only thing this set lacks. Regardless, it is completely head and shoulders above anything from the Warner Archive when it comes to extras and print/audio quality for a 1930s film (Mammy has a great transfer, but no extras). Good job, TCM/Universal!

Another cavet with the set though, I wish they would have thought a little more about movie selection. Devil and the Deep more properly belongs in a Gary Cooper collection. Cary Grant is in the movie for about the first 15 minutes and that's it; he never shares a scene with Coop. I would have rather seen them include This Is the Night (1932), Madame Butterfly (1932), Gambling Ship (1933) or The Woman Accused (1933), and save Devil and the Deep for a Gary Cooper collection that includes City Streets (1931) and The Virginian (1929).

I hope TCM/Universal does another Cary Grant Early Years collection, as well as a Gary Cooper one for his earlier films; Gary Cooper:The Early Years really is a must! Sets for Clara Bow are also a must; would love to see her 8 Paramount talkies from 1929-1931, as well as Paramount on Parade (1930)!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks