What's new

Any New Paramount Catalog Titles for 2006? (1 Viewer)

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I have not read anywhere of any anouncements for new Paramount catalog titles for 2006? Yes there are old titles getting SE"s like "Breakfast at Tiffany's" . ( I had been hoping for "Love With the Proper Stranger" for Valentines Day.)
I'm getting a bit concerned. Whats going on at Paramount?

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
I believe Paramount holds the 'keys' to the African Queen title which has long been awaited as a R1 release. I know there is restoration work that they were 'evaluating' but no word on an actual release of this universally-held acknowledged classic :angry: .

Perhaps 2006 will finally be the year we can anticipate this and a couple of other previously unreleased legacy fare...

Joel

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully we'll finally see remastered releases of the ridiculously overdue Peanuts theatricals, and hopefully they will not be marred by any interlacing encoding errors like a couple of their past releases.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
In addition, you also have the remaining Jerry Lewis solo and Jerry Lewis/Dean Martin films.

I think that there is a malaise in the industry towards
releasing movies. Marketing departments at the major studios are not convinced classic movies will sell. It
looks like even Warner is releasing fewer new classic titles.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
i'm hoping that Ace in the Hole will be released early next year, especially after the premature annoucement that it was coming out this fall.

Charles H

Screenwriter
I assume that the (postponed) Batjac titles will be released in 2006, but it is uncharacteristic of Paramount and WB not to announce some upcoming titles. Universal--it would seem--has given up on classic catalog titles forever.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I've noticed that classic catalog announcements seem to be few and far between recently. Yet tons of announcements for TV box sets. It appears that the DVD market is more lucrative for TV shows and series than, say, pre 1970 film titles.

Jing_B

Stunt Coordinator
I recently watched The African Queen on TV and let me tell you it didn't even look, it WAS a science fiction movie. The colors are so out of place and the contours so badly presented that i statretd to wonder did anyone even care about preserving this masterpiece. Let's hope Paramount make it up for the long wait by giving us a fantastic fully restored relase!

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
I am not sure why Paramount won't release Patrice Leconte's The Girl on the Bridge especially since they have released more obscure foreign films. This is a relatively recent catalog title that really deserves to be available on R1 DVD.

-D

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
I agree that Ace In The Hole is urgently required, as well as If... (see another current thread). There was a previous thread about The Conformist, and someone from Paramount eventually confirmed that they are working on this, hopefully for a 2006 release.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
The Heiress rights are held by Universal so there's even a less chance of seeing it in 2006.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
I keep waiting for "Oh! What a Lovely War" the 1969 Richard Attenborough film. Apparently it's been set for release for the last year but music rights are holding up the release. The director has recorded an audio commentary for the release.

FrancisP

Screenwriter

Why do studios let a film sit in a vault and gather dust?
I may sound like a broken record but if you don't want to risk the money then make the catalog available to third parties for licensing. For example, Image Entertainment has released a number of pre-1970s films. Obviously they believe they can make money doing this.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

With all due respect I'm not sure if I agree with this just yet. Warners in particular seems to have a very healthy slate in store for 2006. They may not have been officially announced yet, but certainly the last chat revealed that a very large number of titles are on the slate or at least on their radar. They're even starting to release "B" movies which will make a lot of folks (myself included) very happy.

Even Fox, which has had some criticism over the handling of their catalog, appears to be opening the vaults a bit more next year with a new line of classic titles in addition to continuing the popular noir titles.

I do agree that I'd like to hear more about what the Paramounts and Universals have in store. Jerry Lewis has been quoted as saying there's a Martin/Lewis box coming in early 2006 from Paramount. I believe Mr. Harris posted awhile back that Universal had some Mae West and Carole Lombard films coming. It could be that they have ambitious plans, but we just haven't found out about them yet.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks