What's new

Any known problems with the "Manhunter" DVD? (1 Viewer)

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I know that there are some issues with the cut of the film used for the DVD and that the Director's Cut has some image quality flaws. But are there any known technical problems with the disc?

I watched the theatrical version last night, and all went smoothly until about halfway through. It was then that the movie paused for about five seconds. I assumed it was a layer change — it looked just like a layer change to me — and ignored it. But then it happened again, only about thirty seconds later. After another thirty seconds or so, it happened again.

After that, all went well for about twenty minutes, then it did it again. Fifteen or twenty minutes later, it froze one last time.

After the movie, I went back to the trouble spots. It pauses every time at the spot where it first did it — I'm now fairly certain that one's the actual layer change — but I could get none of the others to repeat.

That first spot occured at the point of the movie where the cops go to Graham's house to protect his family after they realize that Lecktor has given the Tooth Fairy his home address. The pause was on the very last shot of that scene. The very next shot was a front-view of some cars driving down the road. Is this indeed the location of the layer change?

My DVD player is a Toshiba SD-3107 (it's nearly five years old). I have another DVD player (an Apex) and a PC with a DVD-ROM drive, but I haven't yet had the chance to try the disc on either (I will later today).

Any suggestions? Should I exchance the disc for another?

Mark Palermo

Second Unit
I remember when the 2-disc set came out, there was a bad pressing on the theatrical version. I had to go through three copies before finding one that would load on my player.

If it doesn't work, exchange it.

Mark

Michael Bailey

Stunt Coordinator
I think its now out of print (directors cut). It may be too late for an exchange. Some stores may still have a few left if you look.

John Macri

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
Carl:

I've never had any glitches with my Manhunter DVD, never even noticed the layer change. My DVD player is a 3-year old Sony. I used to have a Toshiba 3107 and it was pretty buggy with a number of DVDs...

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Thanks for the info guys.

Just for the record, I know the disc is long out-of-print, but it doesn't seem to be very popular, because my local Best Buy has about half a dozen copies on the shelf. I actually only just bought it this past week.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
My Best Buy has about 25 as well, and they're new stock as I've never noticed them on the shelf previous to today.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
My Best Buy has about 25 as well, and they're new stock as I've never noticed them on the shelf previous to today.
Are you guys talking about the OOP limited edition or the still widely-available single-disc edition?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm talking about the double disc numbered limited edition of 100,000. Tons of 'em everywhere! $22.99 regular price (which was $17.99 until the recent Best Buy price increases). They also had the single disc issue, but they actually had more copies of the limited edition 2-disc set at my Best Buy.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Wow, I didn't know they were that plentiful. Thanks for the info.

Michael Bailey

Stunt Coordinator
I think its a much better movie than the current Red Dragon. I felt the newer version lacked the suspense and timing of the original.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Although I have liked the film since seeing it in the theaters in 86/87 and own the Manhunter SE it has always struck me as a being a bit too "Miami Vice: UNCUT!";)

Eric_R_C

Second Unit
Kevin, I have to say that I like and dislike the "Miami vice-ness"(?) of Manhunter. The music is reminiscent of the series, and it really gets me into the scenes (just like the series.) However, the cinematography (and wardrobe) really do hint at Michael Mann's 80's preferences. It's always in the back of my mind.
I will always keep my VHS version, because my favorite line was chopped from the "Theatrical" DVD ("As a child I weep for him, as an adult I want to blow the sick f**k out of his shoes", or something to that effect.)
Haven't seen the new version yet, waiting for the inevitable DVD (haven't been to theaters in several years now.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks