What's new

Any idea if "DALLAS" will come to DVD? (1 Viewer)

BBbrowd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
I was just thinking a few days ago, out of the blue, about Dallas on DVD. And now I see that this thread has popped up. Interesting. Seems that some of us are on the same wave length. That may very well mean that we will see Dallas released on DVD for sure.

I'd love to see Knots Landing released as well. I only hope the entire series is released and that they don't stop half way or something. Ya gotta have the whole thing!

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Some seasons have as many as 30 episodes. The show would definitely need to be on DVD-18s to keep the number of discs down and the price reasonable (didn't Warners do this for ER?).
I don't think a DVD-18 is much cheaper to manufacture than 2 DVD-9s. At any rate, at the standard 4 episodes per disc, this would only be 8 discs. Anchor Bay has had no problem releasing 8 discs TV sets, though I suppose other studios might. And if you did 5 episodes to a disc like Columbia, you'd only need 6.

Todd_Brown

Second Unit
My God! A year-old thread!
I am proud to be the author of this thread:D Seriously, with all the VH-1 retros "I love the 80's", and "I love the 70's" being so successful, you'd think this would be an excellent opportunity to issue such a pop culture phenomenon like Dallas. I bet it would do extremely well.
Todd

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Anybody remember hearing Larry Hagman's all-too-hideous attempt at singing the ever-so-popular recording "Ballad Of The Good Luck Charm" (1980)? :)
"...Ain't nobody can hurt me...do me no harm...with my charm..." :)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I just now took note of the Warner Video logo at the conclusion of Soap Net's airings of Dallas.
Can a Warner Bros. Season 1 set of Dallas be far behind? In the fine tradition of the "ER" and "West Wing" boxed items.
The awful and overly large-sized static "screen bugs" on the Soap Net Channel make taping these episodes off that network an unattractive proposition. (Plus the other ad banners that all networks insist upon plastering the screen with after each commercial break. :frowning:)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
count me in for season sets (well, up till and a bit after JR gets shot).
i caught up with the series again when TNN was running it a few years back and was surprised how compulsivly watchable it still was.
i still hve a bunch of episodes on tape, but i can't remember the last time i watched something on a vcr...

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
I LOVED "DALLAS", however, the series fell apart when
Bobby returned to life with Pams dream, then the following
season Pam went up in flames in a car accident, to disappear
into never never land, then Sue Ellen flew the coop,
and Miss Ellie was Barbara Bel Geddes, then Donna Reed,
then she became Barbara Bel Geddes again, and then she
became someone the other end of the telephone. Then,
the show just went downhill really quick, after 1987,
I lost real interest in the series. But, wait how
about "PEYTON PLACE" on DVD, now there was the GRANDDADDY
of NIGHT TIME SOAPS !!!!!! And much better that "DALLAS".
Or how about "DYNASTY" and "THE COLBYS" ?????
I VOTE FOR THOSE THREE !!!!!!!!

Jo_C

Second Unit
I do have a small note to tell you about studio logos at the end of "Dallas"...

...when episodes of the season when Patrick Duffy returned as Bobby Ewing aired on the old TNN, the WorldVision logo appeared at the end instead of Lorimar or WB.

For those of you concerned about that...WorldVision originally acquired the syndication rights to "Dallas" until Lorimar/Telepictures formed their own syndicated division and bought them for the U.S. WorldVision still retained the overseas television rights. Where U.S. video transfers were not available, WorldVision supplied TNN with the missing episodes where possible (albeit from PAL transfers). Today Paramount Worldwide Television (successor-in-interest to WorldVision) has the syndicated rights to "Dallas" overseas while WB now has domestic rights (via their acquisition of Lorimar).

Thought you guys would like to know this.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Where U.S. video transfers were not available, WorldVision supplied TNN with the missing episodes where possible. ... Today Paramount Worldwide Television...has the syndicated rights to "Dallas" overseas, while WB now has domestic rights (via their acquisition of Lorimar).

Let's get J.R. to cut through this red tape and have the DVDs released post-haste. What J.R. wants, he gets! :D
There was a classic ep. on today, featuring some outstanding J.R. barbs ........
"Bobby, your wife is crackin' uuuuuuuup, slowly but surely. ... And who could blame her. She finds out her daddy's a saddle-tramp, and her mama was a whore. Now who could blame her for......" (Bobby's fist interrupts J.R.'s sympathetic oration.) :laugh:

STLMIKE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
I haven't bought many series: TNG, DSN, 24...but this and Knots Landing would be definite buys.

I just wonder what a per season cost would be... I'd also like to have another set of the 3 TV movies (the backstory, JR Returns, and War of the Ewings).

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Well, tvshowsondvd.com reports that two other Warner properties, "Kung Fu" and "The Dukes of Hazzard" are coming in 2004. I'm not going to buy them, but I think any chance of "Dallas" on DVD or any other pre-1990 TV series depends on sales of those and "Gilligan's Island." I'm just worried about the faux widescreen they threatened.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Though I understand your thinking Matthew and I know that is more than likely the way that most studios think as well...

To judge as to whether or not people would purchase either "Dallas" or "Knot's Landing" by comparing them to either "Giligan's Island" or "Kung Fu"...

That is pretty fucked up...

And remember...that is not a personal crack against you alright. I just find it hard to believe on how they take two totally different things to make a decision on both when it is like comparing apples to banana's.

Shane_Anthony

Stunt Coordinator
Chuck,
Wasn't aware were allowed to use the F-Word?? :emoji_thumbsup:
Getting back the the topic I'd like to see Dallas and Dynasty released also
I love cheesy 70's-80's tv. I purchased Charlie's Angels Season1 and thoroughly enjoyed it.
..Speaking of which were the hell is season 2??...Can anyone picture Cheryl Ladd all wet in that bikini in the opening credits?? :emoji_thumbsup: :D

Chuck L

Screenwriter
What was the jest of Falcon's Crest anyway? I never could get into that one and honestly, I think that I have seen maybe like half of one show of it.

I believe it was Jane Wyman's "Jessica" that turned me off. While I love the soap opera 'bitches' and all, she was just a c*** and had very little appeal.

ADDED: And as for my use of the "F" sorry if it offended anyone. I figured that within the test and how it was used, that being it was not the verb form or directed at anyone, then it was simply a adjective.

Jay W.

Stunt Coordinator
How about Melrose Place? There never was a soap this campy or over the top. The 3rd season finale with Kim about to blow up the Melrose complex was classic. Plus I think there were multiple endings shot.

John KB

Second Unit
I still think the later years of Dallas were good. I liked Carter Mckay, April, and the Callie story lines. I guess I was just a true blue fan of the show right to the end.
The season I liked the least though, was the one that Bobby was actually gone. I was glad to have him back and if they had to use the whole dream thing to get him back, I was fine with that.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
another vote for falcon crest. The series was pretty good until the last season.. which pretty much killed it.
I only want season 3 and 4 of falcon crest.
soapnet channel also played FC for a few years.

JACOB

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks