What's new

Any HTFer's getting Ghost Recon: Island Thunder? (1 Viewer)

Bryan_ZZ

Stunt Coordinator
James St,

No mention of anything new on the spawn issue in the manual, but there is an intresting new (I believe)Domination mode:

There are five zones spread around the map. If someone from your team can get into the zone by himself, the zone will change to your team's color. It will remain so until another team captures the zone.
YOu get a point for each second your team owns the zone & most points at the end wins. In GR, there was only one zone, IIRC.

Bryan_ZZ

Stunt Coordinator
David,

Saw you online last night but I couldn't join up with your match. Will look for you guys again tonight around 9:00 - 9:30 pm ET.

Bryan / PPH2

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
According to the back of the box, 5 new levels will be available for download in 2003.
Ho hum, I was going by the previews that stated "next year" for the additional content. Glad to see they've changed their minds!

James St

Supporting Actor
Here are a few impressions from what I've played so far. As Bryan mentioned the game searches are now easier. You can refresh the page from the results screen instead of having to do a new search. You still have to push the white button to talk but now your name shows up on screen as the person talking during in game action. There are anywhere from 30 to 40 kits for each soldier class including all the weapons from the original(all the unlockables) as well as all new guns. The AI has been greatly improved. Enemies will now run for cover when fired upon and even attempt to flank you if possible. The friends list is identical to the first so you still can't see what game everyone else is playing. Playing with Steve (Dvdguru) for a few hours was a pretty fun but we seemed to run into some network issues with game freezes and disconnects. One of my concerns now is the hosts ability to force launch a game. This was a problem in Socom because games would always start before you could select your soldier and weapons. I've only played co-op to learn the maps so I can't yet comment on glitches and spawning issues from the original.

I should be online again tonight. Feel free to add me to your friends list if I'm not on there already.

Chris Flynn

Second Unit
My check is here.
Going out for GR:IT in an hour.

See some of you tonight! And anyone who wants to play tonight, make sure I'm on your friends list!

Andy Anderson

Second Unit
Got GRIT yesterday. I have a question. What's with the brightness variation? Anyone else notice this? When you switch to the map or to night vision, the ambient light is darker, and it gradually gets brighter after several seconds. Is this meant to simulate your eyes adjusting to the light/surroundings? If it does, it's a suckfest. GR didn't have this craptacular feature...

James St

Supporting Actor
I thought it was a feature but after playing for a while it seems to be a bug. Switching back and forth between your map makes it most noticable. I agree it is quite annoying.

Andy Anderson

Second Unit
It actually does affect gameplay (at least my gameplay experience) quite a bit. I'm playing on an RPTV, so I dial down contrast/brightness quite a bit. Enemies are already tough to spot in GR/GR:IT. When I hear shots, I switch to the map immediately to see if my squadmates have spotted anyone. As I switch back in GR:IT, the ambient light is extra-dark, and spotting squatters in the shadows is tough. I've already been capped one or two times due to this "feature".

It's not a make-or-break thing by any means, for those on the fence about GR:IT. I love the game, it rocks, and really recommend it. This is just an annoyance for me. I suppose the term "suckfest" may have been a bit strong. It's more like "a giant pain in my ass". :)

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
When you switch to the map or to night vision, the ambient light is darker, and it gradually gets brighter after several seconds.
Shit, I thought the sun went behind the clouds for a few seconds. Never realized that it only happened coming out the map screen. :b

That said, it doesn't bother me much.

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
Nah, the darkness bothers me too. It's got nothing to do with being a game feature (what, I ducked into a cave to read the map?), and it does affect gameplay, particularly in a night map. Great game, bad bug.

Picked up GRIT the other day! Have yet to play it though. I'll be up for some gaming when I get a chance to get on LIVE. Hope to see some of you there.

-Grooving

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks