What's new

Any (former) musicians give up their instrument? (1 Viewer)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Oh, I'm past 3 chords.

Problem is all of my musician friends are sooooooo far ahead of me, there's no way I can jam with them effectively. I'm still on the lookout for someone who is perhaps just a little bit ahead of me to play with.

Not to worry, I'm not gonna give it up.

Jagan Seshadri

Supporting Actor
You too, Zane?

I got through that lack-of-interest phase by writing my own tunes. It's a breeze to do today with a soundcard and multitracking software. It helps to have some experience or anecdote to base the tune off of.

In my case, I did a guitar tune about an acquaintance of mine who was a fan of Irish music and got into a 'predicament' after having one too many pints ;) I had a lot of fun composing that one, and it boosted my interest in guitar again.

Take a listen to it!

Now I've hit a new plateau because my lyric writing ability is not that great. Better than radio, but that's not saying much, is it? :)

Collaboration can also bring the fun back into music.
Hope these tips help, and hope you liked the tune :)

-JNS

AndyDC

Agent
I played trumpet through high school and into college. Then a few years off. About 8 years ago a friend in a blues band (made up of coworkers) convinced me to come to a practice, and I've been playing with them from time to time, and occasionally (though not in the past few years) going to open mike nights. It can be lots of fun; we gig at least twice a year, though these days with everybody having families, travelling for work etc., its tough.

I'd say a few things. First, for me its great to be doing a kind of music I like to listen to (who listens to band music, that is wind ensemble music? Noone!). And its great that its a change from what I did the old days.

Also, brass instruments are really hard to keep up, because of the physical thing (the horse fart factor). Actually, for me its the endurance. Even if I haven't played in months, I can play OK for 2 or 3 minutes :). But to play 3 45 minute sets I have to practice daily for several weeks.

Finally, it works great with the HT/music hobby, which really invigorated my practicing. Before my last gig I put on Nora Jones and just played along, cranking my new sound system. It sounded great (Nora et al., not me) and was a lot more fun than scales . . .

Also, try music minus one (music less one part) on your HT, or band-in-the-box software on your HTPC.

And drink much more beer while playing than you did in high school (unless we're talking guitar.. .)

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Very nice Jagan. And great sound quality to boot. What kind of cost are we talking about to record stuff at home these days? I remember the old 4-track days where the sound quality was shit.

That's something I've considered doing myself. There's not a day that goes by that I don't have a killer song idea run through my head. And I never put it to tape.

Oh, and to Carlo....

About LSD, all I have to say is "Look at all the ladies here tonight!" :D Nothing beats a good DLR quote.

AndyDC

Agent
Hey, Dan, for what it's worth (what do I know?) I wasn't talking about brass ensembles (e.g. Canadian Brass). But after years of reflection, I think "concert band" exists to occupy the marching band during the rest of the year. THose big mixed wind ensembles that are like orchestras and play rearranged orchestral pieces with flutes for violins etc. are sort-of a novelty item, when you look at what CDs people listen to. But then I personally don't like that sound. Just my 2 cents.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Andy,

It just sounds like you didn't go to a school that had a VERY solid band program. There are TONS of pieces out that were written for wind symphony that flat out kick ass! The Horseman of the Apocalypse by Leonard Duarte comes to mind. :emoji_thumbsup: I know of a few programs here in SC where "marching band" is just to fill in time between concert band season. There's nothing wrong with either...just have an open mind and I'll see if I can find a few recordings of great concert bands. Unless you aren't interested. ;)

AndyDC

Agent
OK, Dan, I'll take you up on that (while resisting the temptation to defend my band programs :) )

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
I am a piano/tenor double performance major. I also play violin and guitar and a few band instruments. I was in the same boat with violin. I just got sick of it after high school. A teacher in college wanted me to be a string major, and I think it just burned me. I also played guitar in middle school and all, self taught. I never got as good as I hoped, and just got frustrated and gave it up in early high school. About three months ago, I picked up the guitar again with some friends, bought a new strat, and am having the time of my life. I also play violin occasionally. So yes, I have my ups and downs with different instruments. But the love for music and playing is always there. It just changes phases from time to time.

Zane Charron

Second Unit
One of the things that burns me the most about potentially giving up playing guitar is that I was a pretty good player. At the peak of my electric days I could play about anything you could throw at me, like Vai and Satriani, etc being the peak, at least technique-wise. On acoustic I was belting out Micheal Hedges and Leo Kottke. And more recently on the classical I was working on Bach's Lute Suites.

Some people can't understand how one could give up playing an instrument with that kind of proficiency. But when I sit down and start playing, I get bored so quickly. I keep playing the same things over and over and have no motivation to learn anything new. It's been this way for several years now.

I think playing with other people might help, but I've been unable to find anyone in my very small community. And I don't even know if THAT would help. It's all very discouraging. Maybe the time has come just to quit altogether, sell all except maybe one guitar, and either take up another instrument or simply concentrate on my other hobbies.

Jagan Seshadri

Supporting Actor
Why don't you bring your proficiency to some tunes of your own making and put them out as an album? It doesn't have to all happen overnight, but it can be an ongoing project.

I imagine Paul Simon was in a rut after Simon & Garfunkel and his early solo work, but then turned to African music to recharge his creative juices.

Of course, maybe you are finished with guitar in which case you should sell all but one guitar. It will free up some space and some cash for more fulfilling hobbies.

-JNS

James~P

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone else out there have a similar experience they want to share? Was it an OK move? Ever regret it a bit? Ever damn yourself for giving it up?
yes, i damn myself for quitting piano. however, i play french horn, and guitar now.

i have just the thing to get your guitar playing going again!

GIG!!!!

get a little band together, and play some shows. People cheering, money... that should be all the motivation you need >=)

plus, 10 minutes a day is plenty to keep yourself from having to say "i USED to play guitar"

as long as you can pick one up and whip out some Hendrix, you still play guitar in my book :D

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Problem is all of my musician friends are sooooooo far ahead of me, there's no way I can jam with them effectively
Sorry, was out of town for a while.

Rain; There will always be people way ahead of you no matter how good you get. I promise the first time will be awkward, but if they guys you are playing with are good people they will thoroughly enjoy 'popping your cherry' as the term may go.

I'm no expert myself, but I've helped many rookies cross over. It will be as fun for them as it will for you. Don't expect them to let you in on any performing act, just ask to visit during a rehearsal or join the next jam session.

As fun as it may sound, it is WAY better. The next step is being ready to perform. You gotta be proficcient, but not expert. It is 90% confidence and 10% know-how on stage. (Ad I REALLY stretched my 10%!)

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
Since this is a music thread, i think i had better ask this question here rather than making a new thread.

If you want to be a music composer, what kind of school do you get into / what specific major? I believe a "singing" school should be different to "composing" school.

James~P

Stunt Coordinator
Steve Vai went to Berklee in Boston, MA... i'm also aiming to go there.

i'm not sure what the actual major would be called, but it wouldnt be a Vocal Major..

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Funny to see this thread.

Just about a hour ago I took out my guitar and amp and man do I suck. Cant remember how to play alot of stuff. My backpicking is SHIT,Im hitting strings all over the place,Im slow and sloppy and my fingers tired in no time.

I tried playing a Slayer song (Reign In Blood) and couldnt do it.

Music is the number one love of my life (movies are second:) )and I was never happier then when I was playing in a band in the early 90s. No matter how bad I hated my job, g/f or whatever for the hours we played the world was a beautiful place. Theres NO better feeling than jamming at a loud volume and bouncing off the walls. I miss it so much.

A few years ago my brother and I tried getting a band together and couldnt do it. Nowadays people have otehr commitments - kids, wife, volunteer firemen etc

I got rid of everything except a Peavey amp and Ill never sell my 1985 Gibson Explorer, but I rarely pick it up anymore,its just too depressing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks