What's new

Any early reviews of Tombstone Vista Series DVD?? (1 Viewer)

Dave Kalloch

Stunt Coordinator
Just tried to watch this today, only my second viewing, and my Panny RP-56 gives me a "NO PLAY" signal. Anyone else having this problem?

Andy_MT

Second Unit
OH COME ON!!!! how can anyone have anything positive to say about the absolutely pathetic video on this disk. i'm so mad !!!!

i finally upgraded to the vista series. b+, great transfer, sharp ? WTF ? did these people watch this disk at all ? shame on you !!!!! you made me buy this disk thinking the quality was ok. blah ! (and i've watched this on several sources, so it's not an equipment issue)

to sum it up ... bloody awful. worse than the usual pitiful disney/miramax video quality. a bit soft ? no, VERY, VERY soft. even softer than that. and the ringing is insane. something went very wrong with this transfer or someone with very bad eye-sight worked on it.

i know disney have non existent quality standards when it comes to dvd video presentation, but still, they shouldn't have released this dvd in this state. it's surpossed to be a collectors edition. something collectable ? well, this ain't very collectable.

and if i didn't know any better, i'd swear they just cleaned up the old transfer. it looks that bad.

on the plus side, the DTS track is great. but still, it doesn't take the sting away from what's happened to the video.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
:b
What the hell was I thinking when I made that comment about this dvd!?!
The re-emergence of this old thread made me pop it in after not seeing it in awhile, and my goodess is the EE off the freakin scale! :eek:
Perhaps when I made my first post back then it had to do with me watching it on a 27" WEGA, now I have a 96" FP and all the charactors in the film looked like 'Sam' at the end of Ghost!
It just goes to show that one developes an eye for these things over time. I'm just curious to see if Dome is still of the same opinion now. ;)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Similar thing happened to me.

On my older interlaced ISF set-up (61" Sony and Panasonic RV80 DVD player), I thought Tombstone looked pretty. I thought people were overreacting.

On my new set up (57" KP-57WS520 and Sony 775 DVD Player), I can say Tombstone looks like crap --- it looks very videolike and the EE stands out even more now.

Andy_MT

Second Unit
Are you watching a region 1 disc?
yes i am. on an HTPC if that makes a difference.
and i now have the new "english patient" to look forward too. another disney disaster from what i've heard, but at least it'll sound good :rolleyes:
i HATE, HATE, HATE disney home video !!!!!!!! :thumbsdown:

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
HBO has aired TOMBSTONE in high-definition a few times the last couple of years; the image would be to die for otherwise was it not that the HBO idiots shows it in 16x9...thus the image is awfully cropped!

Cosmatos knows how to frame and compose in true anamorphic scope, thus image loses are substantial...something that doesn't quite occur with movies shot in Super35 (for example, HBO has recently aired TRUE LIES in hi-def as well, shown in 16x9 and the flick doesn't visually suffer by being reframed to the less wider aspect ratio; it looks absolutely fabulous! I don't mind seeing films shot in Super35 being reframed to another non-theatrical, pseudo-scope aspect ratio; however, I won't tolerate having true scope-shot films butchered).

By comparison to the hi-def version, the DVD transfers looks like the proverbial dog poo-poo...including Miramax's second offering. And never mind the soundtrack! The laserdisc version had a soundtrack that truly gave a sound system a run for its money: sounded maginificent both in terms of clarity and impact; by comparison, the track on both DVDs simply sucks because they lack sheer testicular fortitude.

The Western channel is airing Tombstone all of this month. I catched a bit of it the other night and lo and behold...not only were they showing it in widescreen but the transfer looked oh, so much better than the way both current DVD transfers look like! What gives?

Tombstone is one of my favorite Westerns and I think it deserves much better treatment than what it has received so far...perhaps something in line with what Warners did with WYATT EARP; their DVD transfer is vastly superior in image quality by direct comparison...

-THTS

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"i know disney have non existent quality standards when it comes to dvd video presentation...."

I would say that Disney is inconsistent. With Disney, video transfers are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks