What's new

Any early reviews of Tombstone Vista Series DVD?? (1 Viewer)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
If I can see the ringing on my 32" tv then something is wrong. Usually I'm not that nitpicky at all but I've seen the EE.

As far as I'm concerned right now, EE is just something cooked up by the Internet community so they can have something to complain about
Thats a whooper of a statement. I'm still pausing alot in how I want to reply to that again ignorant statement.

Don't take this the wrong way but I'm not insulting your intelligence, i'm just questioning your expertise on this issue.

Rob T

Screenwriter
No offense Dome, but if you can't see the EE on Tombstone you must have a vision problem. It isn't on every frame, but it is there in force.
LOL
well it doesn't bother me and I always watch movies without my glasses since I find it annoying to see the reflection on them while I'm trying to watch. There are some advantages to having sight problems, afterall. :D

Chauncey

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chauncey
On my setup I have the various sharpness, SVM, edge enhancement settings, etc. set so that there is absolutely no edge enhancement on the AVIA test disc pattern. Tombstone is one of the few DVDs I can still see edge enhancement on.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Ouch! That EE in Tombstone is Nasty. Quite painful to watch. Especially for those watching at a low screen width distance away from their display.
Again, THX show how utterly worthless they have become as a "quality" control.

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Dome, I'll bet there are people like you at the helm of many overly sharp DVD transfers. No offense intended, it's just that like you, they don't seem to notice the artifacts they are introducing into the image when they use the sharpness control/filter which is causing it.

It is there, plain as daylight. You get the same artifacts when you apply sharpness filters to an image in any image editing software (such as Photoshop). A lighter colored 'Halo' is introduced around the edges of objects so that they appear to jump out more, and become seperated from other elements in the image.

When you use the sharpness controls in an image editing or video editing environment, you are not really sharpening anything. You can not add detail ...it is just impossible to add anything that is not extracted in the inital scan, or telecine transfer -or in the original film for that matter. Not only does it introduce artifacts, it also subtracts detail from the original image.

EE is nothing new either. I can recall an older friend of mine lamenting on about the evils of EE since the early days of Laserdisc. Back then, I did not know what he was talking about, but I do now. One would think that they (the people supervising the transfers) would have eliminated it by now ...but I think the problem is that many people LIKE the overly sharp look ...which is also the reason that many people are attracted to a Television set equipped with heavy Scan Velocity Modulation (SVM) on a showroom floor, versus a properly calibrated and SVM free Television.

I have noticed that many of the same people who love Pan and Scan, just love that SHARP overly processed 'digital' look, and this may be a factor. Studios need to please the mass market.

Frank

Stunt Coordinator
Producing a DVD with this artifact is incredibly stupid.

The viewer has the ability to screw up the image all by him or herself.

I can imagine how bad this disc must look on a television with the sharpness control maxed out.

YUK!

I'll keep my horible looking non anamorphic copy until a non EE DVD comes out or perhaps a HDTV version.

Plenty of other things to watch.

Frank

DanR

Supporting Actor
On a more positive note, sure you guys liked the black level on this release. :D
Regards,
Dan

Andrew W

Supporting Actor
From the pictures Bjorn posted, I was expecting this to be pretty bad. When I was watching it today, the EE was far less noticeable that I expected. It may look at bad a Phantom Menace it a few spots, but most of the time, it's OK.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
I picked it up this morning in Zellers for $21.86+tax CAN. I can't wait to get home to watch it
Picked mine up the other day at my local Zellers with the $4off coupon that came with JP3. Also picked up Sixth Sense with another $4off coupon. Liked the movie when I saw it in the cinema. Tomorrow its DVD time.

Kevin

Mark W. Smith

Auditioning
Great movie, great transfer, great sound. SO much better than the last attempt. I just watched mine last night and thought it was terrific. A definite re-purchase.

I've just read some of the other comments, and it sounds like you guys hated the new transfer. I am blissful in my ignorance. :)

Chris Maynard

Supporting Actor
I have always said that people over-emphasized edge enhancement and made it out to be a bigger deal than it really is.
This is NOT the case on Tombstone Vista Series.
The edge enhancement was flat out horrible. I would be happy to snap some screen shots that really make it stand out. I know others have done this but I noticed some really bad scenes not yet displayed by anyone.
To date I have not had EE distract me enough to take me out of the movie experience. This release of Tombstone sure did. A real bummer since it is one of my favorite movies.
:frowning:

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
I have to agree with Chris. While I understand what EE is, and that it exists, honestly, who the hell watches a film while freeze framed. It can be worse on some discs than others, but I'm rarely bothered by EE. Sure, if you freeze frame, you can pick out every single little flaw in anything. Take TPM for example. I heard about horrid EE. I popped this DVD in when I bought it and watched it. No I did not freeze frame it. I wanted to see what it looked like when normal people watch a DVD. What I saw was an incredible picture, and didn't see much of a problem with EE. Now, when freeze framed, sure I could see some EE. But while watching it normally, it wasn't a big deal.
Again, I agree there's EE. I know what it is. And I know some DVDs are worse than others. But I also agree with Chris that EE is so overblown that it is ridiculous. Anyone that freeze frames a DVD to check for flaws has too much time on there hands, and isn't gonna be satisfied with most things.
And to just let you know what setup I have, I have a Pioneer Elite Pro-710HD widescreen HD TV. And my DVD player is a new Panasonic RP-91, that was bought 5 days ago.
As for Tombstone, I haven't seen it. Maybe it does have a bad problem with EE. But I've seen people moan about EE on DVDs that doesn't have any.
Rant is over. Good day!:D

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Geez you people are harsh. :)
The point I'm trying to make is that only the Internet community seems to complain about this, whether it's DVDfile or Mr. Ray himself. My biology professors always scoffed at anything from the Internet, and I guess I picked up some bit of that attitude as well. If I must say anything that can be construed as only positive, Mr. Ray has been very professional about presenting his evidence of EE to the masses, although I do question the magnification of the pictures to see this phenomena.
I must be blissfully ignorant of EE or something. Seems my opinion actually mattered to somebody to get them all riled up.
I tried adjusting the sharpness on my T.V., and yes I can see this horrible ringing effect. But c'mon, I popped in Tombstone: Vista Series, and it ain't that bad. Sheesh, you all make it sound like that each character had a ghost shadow following them or something.
I think it's time that somebody on the HTF approaches somebody who actually handles DVD transfers and ask them whether or not they use EE. It seems every bad EE transfer has been attached to some faceless DVD production group at Columbia-Tri Star.
If I may make a suggestion to Mr. Ray himself, could you provide the Fargo example in video format? Stills aren't obviously working for me as it didn't help me much with EE. The Fargo example is the only example in his whole guide where there were contrasting examples of EE and non-EE using the same movie. For a salesman to make a pitch, shouldn't he not only speak of the sins of Product X, but also extoll the virtues of Product Y?
I'll never understand you videophiles. Always freeze-framing everything and watching every pixel with a magnifying glass. ;)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sure, if you freeze frame, you can pick out every single little flaw in anything.

------------------------------------------------------------

Edge enhancement isn't something I normally notice or complain about, however, on the new Tombstone disc you do not have to freeze frame anything, in order to see the EE. It is plainly evident as the movie is running. In one scene, Doc Holiday is walking toward the camera and you can see a line running vertically between the inside edges of his pant legs. The "EE"...if that is what it is...is some of the worst I have seen on any disc. It is far worse than anything on STAR WARS: TPM. It is too bad because the rest of the transfer, clarity and colorwise, is really quite good. I keep wondering if the effect I noticed really is "EE" or is it some kind of flaw within the algorithm that is used for video compression. It is hard to believe that something that bad looking is being deliberately added.

Chris Maynard

Supporting Actor
You do not need to freeze frame or nitpick to see the EE on this disc.
There are scenes such as the sunset at Henry Hooker's ranch that there are 1 1/2 of everything!
No wonder they could not hit Wyatt Earp, he had a force field around him the whole time! :)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
No wonder they could not hit Wyatt Earp, he had a force field around him the whole time!
------------------------------------------------------------
Especially the hat......he never had to worry about getting a bullet hole in his hat! :)

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Someone post a screen-grab of that cross at the beginning. Holy halo, Batman! ;)
I must be blissfully ignorant of EE or something. Seems my opinion actually mattered to somebody to get them all riled up.
Yes, Dome, we're all riled up by your opinion, not the EE. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks