What's new

Any early reviews of Tombstone Vista Series DVD?? (1 Viewer)

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
I had the chance to check out the Tombstone DVD today, and yes there is some edge enhancement.

It's noticeable, but it sill isn't much of a distraction. The picture quality is still very good.

EE is mainly noticeable with darker objects being displayed over much lighter ones. Usually hats against a blue or white sky (as the picture above shows).

Don't let this deter you from picking it up.

It really is a nice package that offers a very good transfer with dynamic sound - even though the supplements are a little on the light side.

BTW, my test equipment to view the disc:

Toshiba TW40X81 HDTV Widescreen

Toshiba SD-5109 Progressive Scan DVD player

Rob T

Screenwriter
I picked it up this morning in Zellers for $21.86+tax CAN. I can't wait to get home to watch it. :)

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I just finished watching Tombstone but I have yet to watch any of the extras on this fine DVD. I forgot how much I loved this film. I haven't seen it in quite some time so I really couldn't pick out the additional scenes. The DVD looked pretty good to me, but then again I usually don't look for problems. I only notice them when they are very apparent. The DTS track was very nice and it had excellent channel seperation. Dialog was crystal clear and not one time did it sound strained or cracklely. I am very impressed with the packaging and I liked the little diagram by Wyatt Earp that was included in the slipcase. A very classy job by the Mouse. This DVD will be getting plenty of playing time in my HT.

-Dean-

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
I don't know, but I just picked up my copy for 16.99(with a $3 coupon)which is $8 less than the bare bones version!!

The packaging is awesome, this is such an awesome film, I am glad I waited for the Vista Series!!

I can't wait to watch it tonight!

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I was able to watch the first 45 minutes of Tombstone and think its looks very good, overall. Yes, the edge enhancement is clearly visible - and I wish it wasn't there - but I don't find it too distracting. I really only notice it when I look for it. (I have a 61" RPTV.) The DTS track is great! The gunshots and horses running sound phenomenal.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I'm loving the film but the EE is pretty bad. I'm spotting it from my seat on my 27" Sony Wega. In fact, this is the first film I've spotted EE in on my TV. I must admit I was looking for it a little bit because I'd heard about it previously but it's there.

As far as the film itself goes, I had forgotten how awesome Val Kilmer's Doc Holiday was. He's got so many great moments...

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Wow THX should be ashamed of themselves. They approved this? What is their stance on Edge Enhancement? That theres never enough? It's sad that they are spending all this money to get THX approval and it's a bloody sham.

The diskis definately an improvement over the non anamorphic laser transfer the first time around, but thosedamn ugly halos !

Great movie however, and it's a crime Val Kilmer did not win an oscar for his performance he was pretty riviting as Holiday.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I watched on the smaller set (32) from my normal front projector viewing seat (well the TV is a little closer) and didn't notice the EE, but I wasn't heavily evaluating the video the first time through.

The DTS was pretty darn good though. I thought it had a good dynamic range and remained clear in both soft and loud moments.

The packaging is excellent in style and the reproduction map is one of those little touches that make special editions more special. It might be lighter on the extras than normal, but it's still a solid DVD package.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
If EE really bothers you and you have a larger screen, pass on this title. That's my recommendation.
I took a chance on the new release and sampled it last night. Man, this title probably has the most noticeable EE on it that I've experienced. There are a few scenes that make me think I'm watching television with a ghost signal ( that is an exaggeration, but you get the idea. )
Otherwise, I was pretty happy with the transfer. Shame about the haloing. ( Viewed on a 16x9 106" screen from an LCD projector. )
Dome - I'm not sure I understand your comment about not being 'sold on EE' You don't believe it exists? or You haven't seen it? or It doesn't bother you?
It is readily apparent on this title. Look at the cross on the church at the beginning of the film, look at almost any scene featuring a dark hat against the sky, especially scenes with Wyatt. Once you've seen it, you'll always notice it in a transfer ( which might be a bad thing. :) )
- Walter.

Jeff_Hunt

Stunt Coordinator
Wow!!

I watched this last night on a 27" progressive scan display, and they really did an amazing job on this movie! The colors were very sharp, reds were absolutely amazing. I'm really impressed with this disc, it's a huge improvement over the last release. I noticed the EE at times, but I was really too blown away by the rest to be bothered by it.

I thought the DTS soundtrack was good, very natural. I haven't listened to DD yet.

I really like the packaging as well!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm your Huckleberry...
Just finished viewing this last night. Wow! Such an improvement over the old version. To be honest, I was so engrossed in the movie (hadn't seen it in a couple of years) that I didn't really notice the EE. I personally wouldn't rank it with TPM as far as EE, but I can't quantify that like Bjoern can.
Another thumbs up to the sound! :emoji_thumbsup:
Oh, for the record: Panny RP91 -> Michael_TLV calibrated Panny PT-47 / Sony STR-DA555ES / Energy C6 main / AC300 center / e:XL-16 rear / e:XL-S12 sub

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Looking forward to watching this tonight. One of my all-time favorite westerns.
I really like the way some of these two-disk sets are being packaged; Moulin Rouge, Tombstone and such.
Peace Out~:D

Sean Eldridge

Second Unit
I would have loved to have picked this up yesterday. But, my local CC only got 1 copy in. They also only got one copy of the new Sixth Sense. I told em that I guess I'll just pick it up at Best Buy tomorrow.

Sean

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
The Circuit City by my house had no copies of Tombstone or Sixth Sense. I thought this was very weird as I've read of many of Circuit City stores that didn't have any. But, Best Buy was cheaper anyway.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure I understand your comment about not being 'sold on EE' You don't believe it exists? or You haven't seen it? or It doesn't bother you?
Nothing against Bjoern Ray, but I treat everything I hear on the Internet the same way, with some degree of skepticism. I personally don't see EE myself, and that's half of the reason I believe it doesn't exist. The other reason is the same way you treat anything in the field of science: unless you publish your findings in formal publication and have it peer reviewed by substantial and revelant members of a community, your findings are pretty much worthless.

I applaud his (Bjoern Ray's) effort, but until somebody in a professional field, say for example people who actually handle the film transfers to DVD admit to EE being a practice, than I'll believe EE exists, even if I don't see it. As far as I'm concerned right now, EE is just something cooked up by the Internet community so they can have something to complain about.

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
As far as I'm concerned right now, EE is just something cooked up by the Internet community so they can have something to complain about.
No offense Dome, but if you can't see the EE on Tombstone you must have a vision problem. It isn't on every frame, but it is there in force.

Take your disc, put it in your player and pause the action every few minutes, especially in the scenes with blue sky backgrounds shown behind buildings. You can't miss it. If I knew how to make screen captures I would post them. But it is quite obvious, you don't even need to be watching that closely.

-Chad

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
A dose of skepticism is healthy but come on, now! What type of "scientific" proof are you waiting for?
Link Removed
This is the scene where Wyatt first steps off the train. I captured this using PowerDVD. Look where his hat crosses the mountain range in the background. You can clearly see a halo of lighter color ringing his hat between it and the darker mountain color.
Since we're dealing with images here, I'm not sure what further proof you need other than the image itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks