What's new

Any Disney DVD sequels worth picking up? (1 Viewer)

Chris Duran

Stunt Coordinator
Well you can always buy any Disney DVD sequel watch it and if you don't like it send it back to Disney for a full refund. I believe all Disney sequel DVD's have this money back feautre and is really only the company that I'm aware of will do this for you.

Rob T

Screenwriter
I haven't seen many Disney sequels, but I've always enjoyed The Rescuers Down Under.

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
Anyone else see the irony in someone who spells Disney "Di$ney" posting about whether or not he should purchase some of the DTV sequels? ;)

Anyway, I've seen a bunch and hated pretty much the lot of them. Many of them are simply terrible to the point of not being watchable, while the best you can say about many others is that they are ultimately forgettable.

Atlantis 2 is ho-hum. Hunchback 2 is an absolute abortion. Cinderella 2 is feh. Jungle Book 2 is unmemorable to the core. Return to Neverland? Ehh. Lady and the Tramp 2? Like a drill to the nads. Lion King II? Rehashed garbage. Little Mermaid 2? Like making love to a hornet's nest.

I've heard good things about 101 Dalmations II but I haven't seen it.

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
Does anyone find it annoying that Cinderella 2 is out, but with Cinderella still a ways off on DVD, it'll be years since I've actually seen the first one. Just sorta annoys me a bit.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Point of order that I'm sure you all knew anyway: The Rescuers Down Under was a theatrical release, not DTV.

Of all the DTV ones I've seen (and I've seen nearly all of 'em) the only one that didn't bore, irritate or disgust me was Stitch: The Movie. I vaguely remember The Return of Jafar being watchable.

Stick with the classics! ;)

Anyone else see the irony in someone who spells Disney "Di$ney" posting about whether or not he should purchase some of the DTV sequels?
I just checked back on this thread, and definately got a kick out of Matthew's comment....A hilarious observation...apparently there is some irony here :)

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I have a six year old daughter, so here's her ratings for the movies vs. mine:

Cinderella 2 - Daughter : A+ --- Me : D-

Lion King 2 - Daughter : B+ --- Me : C+

Stitch --- Daughter : A --- Me : B+

Lady and the Tramp 2 - Daughter: B- --- Me: C+ (I do think the extras on this disc help complement the original Lady and the Tramp DVD, though, which is "bare bones".)

Little Mermaid 2 - Daughter : A+ --- Me: B-

Beauty and the Beast Enchanted Christmas --- Daughter : A --- Me: B+ (This one has some fairly decent animation, although the CGI characters could have been blended in a little better. The plot also appeals to adults at little bit more than most of the sequels.)

101 Dalamations II --- Daughter : B --- Me: C

The rest of the recent sequels (Tarzan and Jane, Atlantis, and so on, we've stayed away from.)

In general, I've found that most of the sequels feature animation a few steps below the theatrical originals, so if you're an animation fan it's really tough to enjoy the things. It's also pretty obvious that most of the sequels do not make much of an attempt to appeal to adults; they're aimed mostly at the toddlers-to-pre-teen crowd. The classic case here is Cinderella 2: To me, this isn't even a movie; just a depiction of three different episodes in the new princess's life. I snooze whenever she puts it on. But she absolutely adores the thing. (Disney "broke moratorium" somewhat on the original Cinderella by airing it on ABC-TV the Sunday before the Tuesday that Cinderella II was released; and I taped that for my daughter which undoubtedly helped her enjoy the sequel a little more. I agree that it's ludicrous that we're apparently going to have to wait until around 2006 or so before the original Cinderella finally shows up on DVD. My daughter will be 9 then!)

Todd_Brown

Second Unit
I just bought "Stitch! The Movie" last week. It's pretty good and my 3 year old likes it better than the first. That's my benchmark!
I gotta give another vote to Stich! The movie ! My daughter loves it, and it looks like they actually tried to come up with a new exciting story, rather than rehash and capitalize on an existing hit.
Todd

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
Since ESPN is owned by Disney, should we spell it E$PN? How about AB¢?
:D

I will never side with Disney's practices, [rant](I hate the fact that my kid may be too old to be interested in The Little Mermaid by the time it comes to video),[/rant] but if these direct-to-video sequels went to the theaters first, many of us would be taking our kids out for a $30 afternoon in a theater filled with crying, sugared-up, crazy kids. We'd still end up buying the DVD because chances are, the kids would like the show even if we thought it was trash.

Ralph

Ben Crouse

Agent
You needn't subject your children to second rate story and animation. There is PLENTY of top notch animation on DVD that your kids should love.
TOY STORY, TOY STORY 2, A BUG'S LIFE, MONSTERS INC, SPIRITED AWAY, PRIINCES MONONOKE, POCAHONTAS, BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARVES, PRINCE OF EGYPT, ROAD TO EL DORADO, and ICE AGE come to mind.

sheesh. and how about the ORIGINALS from which these "Cheapquels" came from? Try those.

But if you have to have to pick up a disney animated sequel, go for RESCUERS DOWN UNDER, FANTASIA 2000, OR RETURN TO NEVERLAND.

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
You needn't subject your children to second rate story and animation. There is PLENTY of top notch animation on DVD that your kids should love.
And when my child has his little heart set on watching "Stitch! The Movie" (which was abysmal by the way) I should just tell him "No, that isn't any good, watch this instead!" Come on, be serious. An eight year old could not care less about that kind of thing. If he watches and enjoys it who cares (as long as it isn't inappropriate)? It doesn't matter if I like it. I didn't like Lilo & Stitch in the first place, but the sequel was one of the worst things I've ever seen.

Ben Crouse

Agent
Ok, wait for the new SE for POCAHONTAS. That's what I'll be doing.

And when my child has his little heart set on watching "Stitch! The Movie" (which was abysmal by the way)
I'll agree, in that situation it's nearly impossible to deny your cute little monster ANYTHING. Hey, I'm a softy who caves all the time. I'm only suggesting that we try steering the little ones towards GOOD movies if possible. In the end, they'll grow up and decide themselves what makes a good movie. But while they are still young, still soaking up everything like a sponge, it might be good to consider the quality of the stuff they watch.

It's just as easy to show them LILO AND STITCH (which really is a wonderful film), as it is to show them the cheap one-off STITCH! THE MOVIE.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I let my kids watch Lady and the Tramp II and Cinderella II. Once. Ugh. The best Disney sequels are the ones released to theatres prior to 2001: Rescuers Down Under (which I actually liked better than the original) and Fantasia 2000. The Aladdin sequels are wretched pieces of trash with horrible music. Saw Return to Neverland, which made me want to see Jungle Book 2 even less. Disney needs another shire scouring (like the one that brought us Ei$ner in the first place).

James_M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
Heh, when or if I become a parent, I ain't ever gonna let my kid con me into buying crap. I'd tell him/her "uhh.. no, you don't want to watch that. Besides, you can wait till it shows on TV :wink:". It builds character and discipline. The only "Disney" sequel I'll ever acknowledge is Toy Story 2. Still, I'm somewhat interested yet very frightened as to finding out how Mulan II is going to turn out.

Ben Crouse

Agent
Mulan II is being done at DTV, so you're pretty much assured the level of quality you've come to expect from the likes of Cinderella II and Atlantis II.

{You should be very frightened.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks