What's new

Any Dell Axim users out there? Other PDA fans? (1 Viewer)

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
I just ordered a Dell Axim X5 to replace my aging Palm Vx. I decided on the 400mhz version. Should be here before the end of the month.

I'll be using it for work (documents, spreadsheets) and pleasure (mp3, games). Any "must have" software recommendations?

Andre F

Screenwriter
I'm a PDA fan and I use mine almost daily. However, I'm stuck with the lowly Audiovox Maestro...

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Me too...but I'm using the opposition's OS. I use a Sony Clie NR-70v. Couldn't function without it.

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor
iPAQ 3975 user here. I use it with my Ericsson T68 phone for remote email and internet access. Bluetooth rocks.

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
I'd say the must-have software for a PDA is PalmOS
Thanks, but no thanks! Been there, done that. From my experience (based on coworkers using both Palm and Pocket PC) the Axim will suit my needs better than another Palm device. Don't get me wrong, my Palm Vx has served me well but I believe the Axim will do far better.

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
i just bought ipaq 1910. and so far i dont need to buy any other software, because i dont use it for games nor other multimedia entertainment. i was thinking of purchasing a map for chicago and san diego though, but couldnt find a good one.

Paul O

Stunt Coordinator
Just bought a Palm Tungsten. Great Screen, Bluetooth built in, Friendly, Familiar Palm Apps - what more could you ask for? I'll be upgrading my cell phone to a bluetooth model to begin using GSM. Anybody know of any cool new bluetooth phones coming out? not crazy about the 68i.

Ken Woodrow

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought a Dell Axim for the sole purpose of using it as a remote for my HT and whole-house audio systems. I use a combo of programs to control apps on my HTPC and my external hardware:

NetRemote Pronto emulator for the PPC, but much more powerful.

Girder Receives commands from NetRemote via wireless TCP/IP connection. Controls apps on the PC and interfaces with external hardware devices via plugins.

and to transmit IR to my external devices:

Slink-E

IMO, NetRemote is THE killer app for a PPC.

- Ken

Dave W

Stunt Coordinator
I use a Dell Axim and love it. :) I've only had it about a month now but it is a great PDA for the price and I would recommend it to anyone. I got the 300mhz version with an additional 64mb card to offset the limited internal memory. Great at Notepad, Word and office type apps as well as most games. Movies/mp3's play very well off the memory card or live (I work in videoconferencing so we have live streams that play over the network) and almost all my games are installed to the card and work great. It didn't come with much in the way of extra software and its hard finding a PDA case that I like ;) but great display, sound (thru stereo jack) and design for a cheap PPC.

Chris Luebbe

Auditioning
My Axim was just shipped today...hopefully I'll have it by the end of the week.

Must have software includes:
  • YAME - NES and SuperNES emulator
  • WinamPAQ - MP3 and ogg player (way better than WMP and looks like Winamp)
  • PocketMVP for playing videos (again, way better than WMP)

I have all of their setup files sitting on my desktop waiting for my Axim to arrive.

If you want to learn more about what your new Axim (or any PocketPC) can do, head over to Pocket PC Thoughts. I suggest going to the "Archives" section first and browsing through the archived front-page articles listed there.

One of the first things I plan to do is rip a few DVDs and watch them on my Axim. Try doing that with a Palm!

Chris Luebbe

Auditioning
It didn't come with much in the way of extra software and its hard finding a PDA case that I like but great display, sound (thru stereo jack) and design for a cheap PPC.
What kind of case are you looking for? My Axim should be arriving in a few days and I've spent a little time while waiting searching for a case. I've found two I like. One is a slipper style case with magnetic closures and pockets for money, memory cards, etc., and the other is a zippered, dayplanner style case with room for lots of money (which you have since you saved so much by buying an Axim!), credit cards, memory, etc.

I have a few sites bookmarked...let me know what style you're looking for and I'll give you the links.

Dave W

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks... any links to casees would be much appreciated. I am looking for a Day Planner style case. I would like a clear pocket for DL, business card etc and plenty of CC pockets and want a flip cover of sometype to protect the screen. CF card pockets etc would be a plus but not a deal breaker :)

Dave W

Stunt Coordinator
By the way - Wanted to say that I liked PocketMVP alot. Good playback of all movie types I've tried so far (loaded in local memory). Did notice playback slowdown and lockups using PocketMVP though when files were loaded from CF card and over 20mb... Did Not have same issue using PPC RealPlayer so mileage may vary :) Just thought I would pass it on.

Dave W

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the link to that case - I ended up going with the slipper 5 convertable I think it was - a little bigger but more pockets :) and I second using http://www.aximsite.com nice site, not too many downloads yet but lots of info.

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
Dave - I'm looking at this case by Sena Cases. It is available for $29 for the next few days.

Also, someone mentioned a case with a magnetic closure. Just be careful of storing credit cards near anything with a magnet!

Dave W

Stunt Coordinator
That Sena case looks great Dennis :) May have to rethink this and change my order now.. assuming it hasn't shipped yet

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks