What's new

Any chefs or cooks out there? (1 Viewer)

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
We need to replace a skillet, 12" I think, with a new one. What's the best non-stick coating/brand out there these days?

Hopefully something from Kohl's. My wife has a gift card she wants to use.

Thanks.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I think many will recommend a cast iron skillet. Well-seasoned, it's as good as a non-stick with none of the health concerns.

Nathan_F

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan
Well, it depends.. looking for a good all-arounder? I'd go with the cast iron. But you can't really make an omelet in it. For that, look for one with smooth sides all the way up (as opposed to a clear line delineating the base from the sides. Hope that makes sense. In my experience, no non-stick coating will last forever. My old calphalon set got high marks, but still after 5-6 years the coating was still starting to go. I would also look for something with a decent heft to it. That will allow the heat to distribute more evenly.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'd think any moderately priced non-stick skillet would be fine. You get what you pay for, so as long as you don't go cheap, you shouldn't get cheap coating. I have a set from T-Fal that I've been using for 10+ years that is still going strong. I also picked up a 12" at Marshall's a couple years ago, I think it's just branded "Culinary Comforts" or something like that, and it seems to be good quality. I don't recall what I paid, but at Marshall's, I doubt it was more than $20. I also have a large covered saute pan from Sam's Club, their "Member's Mark" brand, that's been good to me. Kohl's has some pretty good items; it shouldn't be too hard to find something suitable there.

In addition to good quality, you also have to take care of them properly. Wood, silicone, or nylon utensils only, no metals. And clean with a non-abrasive sponge.

CRyan

Screenwriter
Personally, if I was going with something from Kohls and on a budget, I would get something like one of these. Both are basically medium quality in the wide range of various cookware quality.

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/kitchendining/cookware/frypansskillets/PRD~385600/Cooking+with+Calphalon+Refined+12in+HardAnodized+Covered+Omelet+Pan.jsp

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/kitchendining/cookware/frypansskillets/PRD~609387/Cuisinart+GreenGourmet+12in+Stainless+Steel+Skillet.jsp

I personally wouldnt pop either of these in the oven for a filet but they will do well I think for a long while for most cooktop cooking/frying. If you do a lot of sauces in it, a helper handle can be nice.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Can't stand the woman, but Martha Stewart puts out some pretty good cookware.

Avoid the cheaper budget set and go for the more expensive one. It really does a good job.

I've also got a full set of Calphalon, no coating at all, probably 25 years old that works great. It has just become naturally non stick through the years, but it was very pricey at the time.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I have a non-stick-coated cast iron skillet I like, but then I'm no pro.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
One thing not to get stuck with is just buying one set of everything.

Buy individual pieces as you need them. Skillet A, saucepan C, stockpot J, whatever you like. Mix and match brands, unless you have one of those hanging racks, nobody is going to notice..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks