What's new

Any chance of HD DVD King Kong (2006) Director's Cut? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
OK, so I recently purchased the Director's Cut of Peter Jackson's King Kong on SD DVD, and loved it.

The only thing preventing me from picking up the current HD DVD of this movie is that it is the theatrical version.

Considering that I've already double dipped on the SD side, picking this HD version up would be a triple dip, and then a quadruple dip if the Director's cut ever came to HD.

What do you think the odds would be that Universal would release a HD Kong Director's cut any time soon? Would this be the first HD Double dip if they did?

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I'd like a director's cut where they made the film shorter, call it the Cliff Notes Director's Cut. I find even the theatrical version is tediously long. It causes restless legs syndrome.

Harpozep

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
It can never be too long. Stop and take a break. Movies were shown that ways at times. At home we can all do what we want for breaks. Granted, perhaps a three hour movie at the theater should have a break.
All that said, I want more!!!:laugh:

Kong is about creatures and humans, but the creatures have always taken the lead in my mind. The extended edition tries to make us care a bit more about characters and their interaction/motivations, etc. That avenue is kind of a waste of energy. They did the critters fine and the simian/girl love thing fine. I don't really care if Jackson and crew get us to care about the rest of the humans. They are simply there as critter food!
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

Nice extra critters in the extended version. Some folks think the triceratops scene ruined the dino pacing. I dunno,...I mean this is not great art, it it KONG!

Oh, I got the HD edition in the Xbox 360 add-on pack, and sold the extended SD edition to a friend. While I like the extended edition a lot, I will wait for the HD version and sold the DVD while I could still get retail.

And, I do love the island and old Manhattan scenes. A LOT of work went into them.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Well one thing is for sure, if it comes out on HD-DVD it'll be split over 2 discs. Only Blu-Ray has the capacity for the director's cut without sacrificing quality.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
What's the longest running time so far for each format? I know Blu Ray has Kingdom of Heaven Dir Cut, is Kong the longest HD DVD so far?

From what I've heard, it has one of the best transfers so far on HD DVD. I can't imagine that an extra 13 mins would make it suffer too much.

King Jeff

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Beber

That is, unless, it is released after Toshiba starts making their 51GB HD-DVDs.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
The director's cut only adds 13 minutes. Is the theatrical cut really squeezed on to the HD-30 that tightly?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks