1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Any chance of a Widescreen IN SEARCH OF THE CASTAWAYS...?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dick, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Dick

Dick Well-Known Member

Rick
    ADVENTURES OF BULLWHIP GRIFFIN was originally posted as 1.33:1 on many sites, and turns out to be 1.66:1 on DVD. I am hoping this will be the case with CASTAWAYS and THAT DARN CAT, which are both listed on Ultimate Disney was 1.33:1. Could it be possible Disney would actually letterbox SUMMER MAGIC but not CASTAWAYS?

2. MatthewA

MatthewA Well-Known Member

Matthew
    Well, Disney...

—Put extras on "The One and Only Genuine Original Family Band", but not "Happiest Millionaire," which share some common cast and crew.
    —Put 2 Herbie films in OAR, and 2 in MAR
    —Used a TV master for "Midnight Madness" and apparently for "The Million Dollar Duck", as told by the TV logos at the end
    —Put out compressed-mono episodes of the stereo sitcom "The Golden Girls"
    —Has withheld specs on discs until they are in stores.

You've seen the way Disney works (or Doesn't). They can do a great, 16x9, OAR transfer of an unheard-of live-action title, then turn around and do a crummy, MAR transfer of a similar title.

I could go on. Iger, here's a chance to redeem Disney's name: put out good DVDs on a consistent basis.

3. LukeB

LukeB Well-Known Member

It's 1.33:1, I'm afraid. "Summer Magic" is the only one of the May 3 bunch that's been treated to a 16x9 transfer. I should have a "Castaways" review up by tomorrow.

4. Dick

Dick Well-Known Member

Rick
    Well, would a petition have a chance in changing their minds, as they did with THE ABSENT-MINDED PROFESSOR? What exactly was the process that worked so well there? I am stinking angry about this CASTAWAYS business and refuse to buy, or even rent, the movie in pan and scan, I am reasonably certain this was not a 1.33:1 movie matted to 1.85:1 in theaters.

5. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Well-Known Member

6. MatthewA

MatthewA Well-Known Member

Matthew
    TAMP was colorized in addition to being MAR.

7. Jeff Swearingen

Jeff Swearingen Well-Known Member

Jeff
    Absent Minded Professor was also a much higher demand movie than Castaways - which would have contributed to Disney's mending of its ways with that title.