What's new

Antique Speakers, how old are yours? (1 Viewer)

Greg Bright

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregory Bright
More Large Advents in walnut, mine from 1972. Bought 'em at Pacific Stereo in San Francisco. Had to pay the "west of the Mississipi" price of $125 ea. I've had to refoam them twice, but they don't sound bad, not bad at all. Using an old Denon PMA-700V amp with them, and 100wpc sure is better than the 30wpc Sony receiver I used with them when new.

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff

Yes Matt. My Advent cabinets are also solid wood and have a nice finish, which was rare for their low price. The grill cover is a tan and they looked dated, but they always sounded nice. I will probably keep them just in case my kids want them in a few years. Of course, then I'll have to spring for stands, lol. Or upgrade to floor models.

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
I've got a pair of Polk Audio SDA-2b's that are about 16-17 years old. SDA's are still some of the most incredible 2 channel speakers ever made.:emoji_thumbsup:

Oren Paul

Stunt Coordinator
I use Klipsch Cornwalls I purchased in 1980 as my mains in a 7.1 HT. They are in great shape and may sound better than new? It is a shame that Klipsch does not market their Heritage series like they do the Reference as the Cornwalls do not have the same "brightness".

I also bought a system on Okinawa in 1968 at the Marine Corps Air Facility. I purchased two Pioneer CS-63DX speakers and a Fisher 500TX. The 500TX was the first all transisorized rx. Later in 76 it blewout the right channel destroying one of the CS63Dx speakers.

My next system was GAS amp and preamp with Fried R II speakers. The improvement in sound quality was fantastic! I still own and routinely use this system. These products are unmodified, in great shape, and still sound terrific!

Mike LaBorde

Auditioning
I've got Mission 770s and 70s from around 1981. They have been serving me and my wife for all these years. The 770s are totally original. The 70s were rebuilt about 9 years ago with no woofer/mids and replacement factory tweeters. They are still in use (for a few more months) in the home theater.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Bose 901 Series II purchased in 1974 for $425 with walnut trim.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks