What's new

Anti Virus freeware? Or running old namebrand with updated virus definitions. (1 Viewer)

Luke_Y

Second Unit
Is there any good anti virus freeware? I am curious because on my old (1999)computer I was running a copy of Norton Anti Virus that you do not have to renew every year. The notebook my wife bought 2 years ago came with Norton that you had to pay to renew every year and this year it is "no longer supported" and you have to buy the current program at full price. This would have to be renewed every year as well. The new desktop I just bought included a trial version of McAfee anti virus that I will have to buy at full price and it appears I will have to renew it as well every year like the Norton.

So I was wondering if it would be safe to continue running the version of Norton that is several years old but the virus definitions can still be updated for free with no annual renewal fee. I would likely put this on the wifes notebook as well.

I know that as far as software firewalls go, the free version of ZoneAlarm gets reviews as good as the ones you would pay for. I was wondering if there is any Anti Virus Freeware that rated as well.

NOTE TO MODERATOR: Sorry, I meant to post this in "Computers". Don't know how I ended up posting it here, feel free to move it. Thanks :)

Jim Lenneman

Stunt Coordinator
It's not a good idea to run outdated AV software with no subscription - new bugs appear all the time. The best freeware AV software I've seen is AVG from Grisoft and it puts out updates at least monthly. Several reviews I've seen rate it well. Check here: http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl7.php.

Jim L

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks