What's new

Anti-Reflective(AR) Screen Cleaning (1 Viewer)

Mike_Sidden

Auditioning
I have some questions about cleaning a big screen TV AR protective screen. The Sony WV700's, as do several tv's, have a plexiglass protective screen. Several of them also have the AR coating on them as well which makes cleaning a challenge. If you don't use the right type of cloth or if you use the ultimate no-no, Windex, you could really scratch or even ruin your screen. I've read that some AR coatings are "water soluable". I don't know if this is true or just a bad AR job on that particular reviewer's tv. Most likely a defective AR application on the protective screen. I've read some information on various sites on how to clean eyeglass AR lenses and I think that this prcedure may also be the "ideal" way to clean a protective screen with the AR coating that is very similar to the AR coating on eyeglasses. One quote from the "Oracal Lense Manufacturing Company" for cleaning AR coated eyeglass lenses:

ORACLE LENS
M a n u f a c t u r i n g
CLEANING AR LENSES
Soap and warm water are best for cleaning AR-coated lenses. Avoid using Windex®,
ammonia-based cleaners, acetone, aerosol-based cleaners or caustic solutions as they
may damage the coating. Also avoid ultrasonic cleaners. Do not “dry” clean using
tissues or paper towels which can scratch your lenses. Paper products are made from
wood and contain small abrasive particles. Using clothing or other cloth is also not a
good idea because the weave may be rough enough to scratch your lenses.
RECOMMENDED CLEANING PROCEDURE
1. Rinse the lenses under lukewarm tap water.
2. Place a small drop of mild hand soap or dishwashing liquid on each lens. Dawn® and
Joy® are ideal. Avoid using soaps with creams that leave deposits on the lens or
abrasive soaps that will scratch the lenses.
3. With your fingers, gently rub the soap on both sides of each lens for about 5
seconds per lens, then rinse under the tap. Use a clean, lint-free cotton towel or
special microfiber cloth available from your optical dispensary to gently wipe each
lens dry. Wash your microfiber cloths once a week, without a fabric softener to avoid
an accumulation of body oils.
4. Do not “polish” your lenses – just remove the water. Clean your lenses at least once
daily.
5. When not wearing your glasses; remember to store them in a protective case.
Following the above procedure will ensure that your eyewear lasts a long time.

Now, obviously we can't take our protective screen off to clean it and most of us don't have a protective box to store it in. Well, some would, but for most part, I think that this procedure is a useful tip as well as using the microfiber eyeglass cleaning cloth to wipe away daily dust and finger prints. In some cases where wiping with a cloth just doesen't get it, perhaps having two microfiber clothes might be the answer. Wet one with distilled or tap water to clean the boogers of the screen, I'm not to sure about the dishwashing liquid, and the dry one to wipe any excess water that will be left on the screen. This is, of course, just an idea of the best way to clean these AR coated protective screen lenses. If anyone has a more proven method or horor stories on what not to do, please let us know.

Thanks folks,

Mike

James Edward

Supporting Actor
After not cleaning my Toshiba RPTV screen for nearly a year due to paranoia about ruining it, I took the plunge. At another forum, an ISF tech said that he has been using Sprayway glass cleaner and diapers with no ill effects.

I bought some 'diaper soft' cloths at an auto detail shop, sprayed the Sprayway onto the cloth, and it worked out just fine. There wasn't even much of anything on the screen- I guess RPTV's don't attract dust like A CRT.

I should add that I have the Tosh 57HX81- this has their special anti-reflective coating.

Jeff Ashforth

Stunt Coordinator
I've been using these on my Tosh 57H82. There is no mention of ammonia on the packaging. I'm picking up some ammonia free cleaner this week just to be on the safe side.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
I phoned around four different BM stores and all said they used windex on their screens. Panasonic e-mailed back to say use soap and water.

Kevin

Joe6pack99

Second Unit
Real Name
Jarett
I use Uni-Wipes from Kmart based on what a few people recommended from AVS and the Spot. They work well on my rptv.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks