What's new

Anthem Upgrades for Dolby True-HD and DTS-HD Master (1 Viewer)

George Caronan

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all. Being the happy owner of an Anthem AVM-20, I contacted Anthem if the company can upgrade my unit to process Dolby True-HD and DTS HD-Master audio. As expected, they will accomodate the process in an estimated couple of months. Well, that is one concern that I'm relieved will be addressed in the near future. The changes will be as follows:

1. 4 HDMI ins - 1 out
2. 4 component in - 1 out
3. Video conversion from all formats to HDMI
4. Video upscaling
5. New audio and video processing chips
6. Power supply upgrade
7. New heavier chassis

I reckon that the above changes will NOT be cheap but IMO it will be worth it. The AVM-20 will end up similar to their upcoming AVM-50 as suggested by the rep. It is probably more logical than having to dole out more money to buy another unit with the processing already in. Then again, given the laws of business, the new audio formats will be part of any brand's new line of receivers and pre-amps too. Anyway, I thought I'd report that to anyone who owns their fine products who are wondering if they should upgrade. Cheers.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
This would be the first product with HD (DD+/DTS-HD) surround formats I have heard of so far. Sounds very interesting, I will have to keep my ear open and see how much this new model sells for once it is available.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
with somn's so expensive already, why won't they accomodate 2 HDMI out? heck even ps3 is supposed to do that at a fraction of the cost. why 2 HDMI outs? one for smaller displays like DLP, Plasma, LCD, etc. one for front projector. component out is useless once ICT is enabled.

Massimo N

Stunt Coordinator
I've been waiting for this upgrade a long time. My guess on the delay is hopefully to incorporate HDMI 1.3. The initial reviews of the video scaller (at least in the D2) are very good. Can't wait to get mine upgraded.

Levesque

Supporting Actor
My Anthem D2 is working like a charm with the new Toshiba HD-DVD player.

The Gennum VXP is doing true 1080i de-interlacing to 1080p (w/o losing resolution because of vertical interpolations, or downscaling), and also passing the new HD audio formats fully over HDMI 1.1 (since the Toshiba player is doing the decoding internally).

Paired with a Sony Ruby at 1080p, I have and awesome picture quality, and I'm enjoying the new HD audio formats through HDMI 1.1 (w/o the sound degradation associated with the 5.1 analog outputs).

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
no john because 1.3 is still a draft and hasn't been officially approved by the HDMI organization.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
It has been finalized, however U.S. companies will not be able to create en masse the new chips until '07. So, unless the PS3 and new Panasonic BD player and receiver (and Anthem) are getting HDMI chips from overseas suppliers they may not wind up having the necessary 1.3 I/O's.

If a receiver or pre-amp doesn't have HDMI 1.3 inputs they can't internally decode the new audio formats unless they go with some sort of proprietary HDMI interface, which doesn't help unless you buy all the product lines from one manufacturer.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
dan, where are you getting the news about HDMI 1.3? i would think the organization's official website would plaster that big of a news on the FRONT PAGE:
http://hdmi.org/

if it was finalized, i would think a/v receivers should be happening now unless there are issues manufacturing DD+, TrueHD and DTS-HD capable decoding processors.

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
Curious as to when the Anthems will be equipped for the new surround formats. Debating an Anthem for price/sound quality or taking the plunge to go to a Theta Casablanca when they are ready for these updates. I'd rather move to a differential balanced design in my system - costly - but I prefer the sound.

Michael_V

Second Unit
Been a while since the last post. Any updates on this? I would love to upgrade my trusted (and loved!) AVM 20 to HDMI inputs and an ability to process the new surround formats!

Thanks! : )

George Caronan

Stunt Coordinator
I spoke to a rep at Anthem who told me that Anthem will not install decoding chips for Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD [MA]. They feel that the decoding done in the Blu-Ray and DVD-HD player will be sufficient enough sent as an LPCM signal through the HDMI 1.3a cables.

I was going to send my AVM-20 for an upgrade but upon further discussion it will end up being an AVM-50 after all the work. For the amount I was quoted, I am thinking of just purchasing a Denon AVR-4308Ci and still have some money left.

Even with all that, I still enjoy my AVM-20.

Michael_V

Second Unit
So they will install HDMI inputs? What else? How much did they quote you? Would hate to give up my Anthem!

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

You need to check out the Integra DTC 9.8 then...good stuff and considerably less than an Anthem (although I'd LOVE to own one).

Michael_V

Second Unit
I am looking into the Integra and may well go that way. Anthem said it would cost $2600 to upgrade my AVM 20 (v1.12) all the way to HDMI. Too bad. I *really* like the sound, but that is just too much. Anyone want to take her off my hands?

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor
I've been on the fence about sending in my AVM30 for the upgrade. For the AVM30, the upgrade to the AVM50 is $2,000. I've read quite a bit about the Integra 9.8 and I'm still not sold.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks