What's new

Anthem D1/AVM20/AVM30 (1 Viewer)

Randy Haines

Stunt Coordinator
How is the new AVM30? Anyone able to compare it to the 20? Nick says its a sideways move unless you need more component ins and outs.
And anyone know anything about DPLIIx?

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Randy:

The AVM-30 should be sonically identical to the 20. What was changed:

- a faster processor for better responsiveness in operations.

- more onboard memory for broader support of future updates.

- an additional two component inputs and one component output.

- the display is now a vacuum fluorescent type, as opposed to the 20's backlit design. Result: much more readable and also cosmetically appealing (blue lighting).

- blue lights replace green lights.

None of these changes are anticipated to affect sound quality. The AVM-30 is also priced lower than the outgoing 20, so its a bit of a bargain right now. The price will go up when Anthem adds HDMI/Firewire/video conversion at the end of the year.

Jeff.

Rich_M

Auditioning
Well I just put in my order for the AVM 30 with my local dealer today. I received a pretty fair price and negotiated in house delivery and setup for $30, thus getting me a lower sales tax due to my location. I currently have a broken collar bone, so the setup part is worth it to me right now. I trust the sales guys to do it properly since he owns an AVM 20, is upgrading to a 30 and seems to be the Anthem expert in house. They tell me 7-10 days, I figure two weeks or so. Can't wait. Stay tuned.

mike kerik

Auditioning
I just got my Anthem D1 yesterday and my new Earthquake Cinenova Grande 5 channel amp arrived today. Once i have had the chance to get everything set up I will post more.

Mike

:D :D :D :D

Levesque

Supporting Actor
Congrats Mike!

And don't forget you will have to buy me a good supper if I ever go near your place on a trip! :D

Keep us updated with your impressions!

I was having some bad popping in the surrounds, but since Nick did send me the 1.02a firmware, the problem is gone. So I still can't find any bugs. Working flawlessly for me since day 1.

I really enjoy my D1 and with the upcoming hardware upgrades, I really believe the D1 is the best pre/pro on the market right now. :D

And particularly for the price we have paid for it you and me... Hehehe... :emoji_thumbsup:

Michael D

Stunt Coordinator
What is the retail price in Canada for the D1??? Can you guys share what type of deal you received???

Rich_M

Auditioning
Well, my AVM 30 arrived on Thursday 9/1 and I'm loving it. Rather than repeat myself, I have posted some comment over on AVS in the "Official AVM 30" thread. Please take a look.

Sorry I am unable to post links here.

Miguel Stanic

Stunt Coordinator
No DPLIIx yet, but here's what Anthem told me recently:

"A D1 with PLIIx is at Dolby waiting for approval, just a matter of time before they give the go-ahead. Sorry, we have no knowledge or control of when that may be."

Hopefully, SOON!!!!!!!!!

Levesque

Supporting Actor
Latest news from Anthem...

They are now hesitating concerning firewire, and the AVM20/30 could have the scaler... So every D1/AVM20/30 owners interested in the firewire connection should send Anthem an e-mail.

But the most interesting part is the chip for the scaler... Probably starting with a R... :D

"It’ll max out at 1080p in and 1080p out. Anyone who needs more than that is running a movieplex.

Can’t give out the name of the chip but it’s the best available at the moment. Pretty new in fact, and not one of the really familiar ones.

Here’s the latest upgrade info (preliminary) although inclusion of Firewire is in question, since the only thing it can do that HDMI can’t is SACD and SACD’s future has become pretty uncertain:

We're currently putting together hardware upgrades for the AVM 20/30 and Statement D1 that are scheduled to include...

- IEEE 1394 input for DVD-A and SACD (3 inputs)

- HDMI inputs (4) and HDMI output (1). HDMI also accepts DVD-A.

- Video transcoding - composite video and S-Video digitally converted to component video, and all three to HDMI. (Note that "upconversion", a term often used for analog conversion methods, can be misleading and usually looks good only on a feature sheet because the component video output can look pretty bad compared to original S-Video input.)

- Statement D1 will have also have a hi-end scaler for component Video and HDMI outputs, user-selectable up to 1080p. A scaler matches the resolution of the input signal to the resolution of a fixed-pixel display such as plasma, LCD, DLP, etc (and even though a scaler may be present elsewhere in the system, there is nothing that says they all perform the same way).

- AVM 20/30 may or may not get the scaler depending on cost

- Component Video switching to be added to Zone 2.

DVI - Connectors won't be added because DVI can be connected to HDMI input via adapter for the picture, and audio can be connected to any digital audio input jack, then re-assigned to the HDMI input in the setup menu.

Prices to be announced when actual release date is approached.

Our intent is to have the upgrade ready by June, however, nothing is carved in stone. Rushing things into the market prematurely is not our mission. There are some implementations of HDMI available today that leave something to be desired, for example, DVD players that send out the right info but it's ignored by the projector, or other DVD players send out the wrong info and although you can get a viewable picture straight into the monitor, it's wrong and component video looks better. When this wrong info is fed to a scaler, the picture becomes really wrong (and the natural tendency is of course to blame the scaler for making it worse). Not sticking to standards is quicker, cheaper, and easier but not our style.

For actual release news, best bet is to keep an eye on our web site in the coming months. Until something is actually in a box and shipping out, anything can unexpectedly change. There are so many things involved that nobody really knows when it'll be ready.

For the AVM 20, we're currently testing Pro Logic IIx via software upgrade. Release date depends on how long testing takes to complete.

Nick
"

ChrisDixon

Second Unit
If the AVM30 gets the scaler, I probably won't get this update. I'm guessing it will be prohibitively expensive, and my plasma doesn't have HDMI inputs. The Firewire input, transcoding, and the hint of a lower price for the AVM30 made it promising, but this news axes two out of three most likely.

Chris

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
not me man. I am drooling. I do want firewire though but the scaler is exciting. You can as Nick stated adapt HDMI to DVI. Most people have concers about passing blacking than black and the whites but it sounds like Nick/SF's intention is to make sure implimentation is correct ie make those things work. One option could befor avm 20/30 is the scaler as a second add on.
You guys rock. Thanks for the update Lev. I just pulled my avm out of its box where it has been sitting for..gasp..6 months during amjor home renovations. My entire theater pj and all were down and now everything is back and BOY do I love my 20!
Marc

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks