What's new

Anthem D1/AVM20/AVM30 (1 Viewer)

gene thomas

Auditioning
I agree, I think I will upgrade to a D1 if at all. Anyone like to buy a Chris Johnson moded AVM20?
gene thomas

gene thomas

Auditioning
I agree, I think I will upgrade to a D1 if at all. Anyone like to buy a Chris Johnson moded AVM20?
gene thomas

Levesque

Supporting Actor
For those interested in the D1, the upsampling on all channels does make a big difference for regular CD's. They almost sound like a DVD-A or a SACD now!

Impressive. Upsampling is not a gimmick. It's really working. :emoji_thumbsup:

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
The display color of the AVM20 has always been the one thing about it I don't like, but based on the pics of the AVM30, the blue isn't as big a deal as I thought it was going to be. It seems to still have that "color on color" look (characters on a color background instead of a black background). I'm not as enthusiastic about the blue now.

Brian Fitterman

Stunt Coordinator
The picture doe not do the blue justice. Dont forget I also have it set to dim 5 seconds after the last command. It is blue on black background...The flash makes the black seem less black. I sit about 11 feet away from the AVM30, and its is perpendicular to my position. On my AVM20, there was not a chance in hell I could tell what the display says. On the AVM30, I can just make it out, with a little lean : ). BIG BIG differnece.

Is it worth the $300-$400 you have to pay to upgrade, well that is up to the individual.

Levesque

Supporting Actor
Oups! I just notice I did post that picture before in this thread for the blue lights. Sorry!

RobertR

Senior HTF Member

Well that puts things in a different light, so to speak. :) Can the display be set to different brightnesses or blacked out, like the 20?

Matt Sprouls

Auditioning
Alain,

Hope you have some room for the P5 to breath, they really put out the heat.

I finally got to hear the D1+P5 at my dealer the other day. Sounded very very nice!!! They had Thiel 2.4's for mains and a Thiel MCS1 for the center. Once the D1 get's the final video upgrades I will be moving from my AVM20 to the D1 and trading in my 1095 for the P5.

You have a very nice setup... Enjoy!

Regards,
Matt

Levesque

Supporting Actor
Matt.

I did came from the AVM20 and RMB-1095 combo also.

I did put the D1 on top of the P5 only to take a photo. Plenty of room to breath in my rack. But this amp doesn't really become that warm.

My rack is in a recess with 2 air returns and also an in-line duct fan sucking hot air from there.

You won't regret changing the 1095 for the P5.

gene thomas

Auditioning
I got my AVM20 sold, and just ordered a D1!! I think I have all the system I will ever need, or, at least I'll be happy and content for a few months. Tyler Acoustic speakers, 7-channel Gemstone amp and now a D1. If i just had......ah forget it.

Gene Thomas

Alan.C

Auditioning
Hey Guys
I havent heard the new D1 yet, but I have heard the AVM20, its sound was nice, but i think if your into music as well as movies, it may not be the best choice. I went with Bryston myself, the SP1.7, the unit retails for $4700 compared to $5000 for the D1. This unit has there BP25 stereo preamp piggybacked right in it. One thing the unit doesnt have though is video switching, which was a plus for me, because i dont need video switching, and I believe all that extra circuitry has an impact on the sound. If you need video switching, Bryston has a seperate unit, which is controlled by the SP1.7. I think no matter what unit you go with, you will be happy, the Anthem definately has more features, which you may need, but if you dont, you should demo a Bryston to see its for you.
It also comes with a full 20 year transferable warrenty.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
We did just that two years ago, and we chose the AVM-20. Our initial test was the AVM-20 against the Bryston BP-25 for a two-channel analog comparison. No contest, the AVM-20 was far more musical in our system than the BP-25. The BP-25 added a little more bass slam, but the middle frequencies were lifeless.

A few months after purchasing the AVM-20, we got a chance to audition the SP1.7 against the AVM-20. Nothing changed, as the SP1.7 sounded very much like the BP-25 in two-channel analog mode. Which meant that we made the right decision the first time.

For about the same cost, I would choose the D1 over the SP1.7 in a heartbeat if the D1 sounds at least as good as the AVM-20.

Michael

Levesque

Supporting Actor
Yes. My Anthem dealer is also a Bryston dealer. And we did both prefer the D1 to the SP1.7.

And btw, my dealer wasn't able to discount the Bryston alot, but the D1 did cost me ALOT less then the 1.7. And to our ears, the D1 was superior. MSRP and street prices are really different in Canada.

Bryston should get their prices back on track and start worrying about the new Anthem Statement line. The P5 sweep the floor with the 9BSST (almost 3 times the power for the same price!), and the P2 is a 4BSST at 1/2 price.

My dealer sell both lines, and he was really in shock (beeing a big bryston fan). He said: "how can I sell any 9BSST if I have a P5 in the same room for people to compare them...?"

Chris Cargen

Auditioning
A question for those of you fortunate enough to own a D1.

Are the D1's curved handles removable?

Thanks,

Chris

Geo

Stunt Coordinator
No they are not, at least I don't see a way of removing them. While they work out great for me, I believe Anthem is coming out with a D1 without handles some time in the future.
Has anybody heard anything about the DPLIIx upgrade?

geo

Levesque

Supporting Actor
I can't find any way to remove the handles on my D1 or my P5 also. But I did build a custom DIY rack to fit them in exactly.

The P5 is huge! 22" deep! Almost 2 feet deep, and add to this the 2 handles in the back, and I am almost at 25" deep!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks