What's new

Anthem D1/AVM20/AVM30 (1 Viewer)

Andrew*Be

Auditioning
Someone on AVS Forum already has the AVM-30. This forum will not allow me to post a URL, but I think most of you know how to get to AVS Forum.....

--Andrew

Levesque

Supporting Actor
"Someone on AVS Forum already has the AVM-30."

LOL! Yes. It's Brian. The original poster of this thread in here! Same guy... ;)

Brian Fitterman

Stunt Coordinator
The AVM-30 sonically is not different at all. At least from what I can tell so far. I did not have the 20 to compare it to, just my memory.

From what I can tell the only differences are:

1) much better display...blue
2) 4 component inputs and two outputs
3) compared to my early AVM20 the input switching is much faster (almost instant now)
4) the volume knob is concave and feels a little different, but internally I do not think anything has changed there.

The buttons at first seemed different, but after visiting the store and checking out their AVM20, I dont think they really are.

After following Lévesque's advice, I was able to get this swap done for a couple hundred $$$. If it was any more than that I do not think it would be worth it. Especially after Anthem says they will be supporting the AVM-20 still. Its not like they are dropping support like they did for the AVM-2.

Steve*MH

Stunt Coordinator
Lévesque,

Did you get a chance to get a picture of the D1 and P5 together in a rack? Still haven't seen the P5 in a nice phote running with the blue lights.
Thanks.

Kris Deering

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kris Deering
The AVM-20 and 30 should be identical sonically as nothing had changed in the audio stage. The only differences were the front panel display, component inputs and a faster DSP. It is the same DSP, motorola has just made them faster, which is why it switches faster then the 20 used to. There were quite a few 20's out there using this chip as well since it was getting incorporated in.

The D-1 is completely different in terms of audio section. The only thing remotely the same is the DSP, but there are two of them for more processing power.

Brian Fitterman

Stunt Coordinator

Yes, if it switchs almost as fast you press the button then you have the new one. If it takes a second or two and then the you hear the clicks of the inputs changing then you have the old one. Not the best way to tell, but I dont think Anthem has posted at what serial number the chip change too place.

You could check the Motorola website. Maybe they post a date on which the new chip was manufactured. My guess is that Anthem does not stock more than a months supply of these.

Brian Fitterman

Stunt Coordinator
Not that it has anything to do with the AVM-30, but I just updated my website with new pics (from a much better camera).

I also wanted to give this thread a bump...

Brian Fitterman

Stunt Coordinator
Not that it has anything to do with the AVM-30, but I just updated my website with new pics (from a much better camera).

I also wanted to give this thread a bump...

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Brian, you have built a nice setup there....You should be proud. I heard your setup before the VS's, Krell and AVM-30 and I was impressed then. Your system probably screams now.

I must say that outside of the blue display there really isn't much in the 30 that I would salivate for or want to replace my 20 with. Do you notice significantly improved response time with the 30 vs. the 20? It's a slight annoyance for me when I want to simulcast on the 20 and I have to wait 2-3 seconds for the 20 to register what I am trying to do (and I simulcast all the time as I like to listen to CD's when I watch baseball games and I do all video switching through my 20).

Cosmetically there is nothing inherently different, corrct? Buttons in the same place, looks exactly the same, right?

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Brian, you have built a nice setup there....You should be proud. I heard your setup before the VS's, Krell and AVM-30 and I was impressed then. Your system probably screams now.

I must say that outside of the blue display there really isn't much in the 30 that I would salivate for or want to replace my 20 with. Do you notice significantly improved response time with the 30 vs. the 20? It's a slight annoyance for me when I want to simulcast on the 20 and I have to wait 2-3 seconds for the 20 to register what I am trying to do (and I simulcast all the time as I like to listen to CD's when I watch baseball games and I do all video switching through my 20).

Cosmetically there is nothing inherently different, corrct? Buttons in the same place, looks exactly the same, right?

Doug_B

Screenwriter
I'm also in the same camp as Evan, where it would be nice to have the new display, as I felt the AVM-20's was the weakest aspect of the unit. Don't think I'll need more component video inputs, and if I go DVI at some point, my DVI sources may end up in the back of my room, closer to my proj. I suppose that at some point there might be more support for AVM-30 upgrades than AVM-20. Might not hurt to see what my dealer (who is A+ in my book) would be able to offer.

Brian,

Off topic. Looked at your pics, very nice system, the Von Schweikerts must sound real good. Commenting on the Ah! 4000, which I own but don't use anymore, you really should go with the upsampling board if not already in there. The DAC provides a distinctly clearer, more detailed sound without giving up the advantages of the tubes (more meat mid and low end). Also, if you have only the stock tubes, many folks like the 7308s (e.g., Siemans, Amperex).

Doug

Doug_B

Screenwriter
I'm also in the same camp as Evan, where it would be nice to have the new display, as I felt the AVM-20's was the weakest aspect of the unit. Don't think I'll need more component video inputs, and if I go DVI at some point, my DVI sources may end up in the back of my room, closer to my proj. I suppose that at some point there might be more support for AVM-30 upgrades than AVM-20. Might not hurt to see what my dealer (who is A+ in my book) would be able to offer.

Brian,

Off topic. Looked at your pics, very nice system, the Von Schweikerts must sound real good. Commenting on the Ah! 4000, which I own but don't use anymore, you really should go with the upsampling board if not already in there. The DAC provides a distinctly clearer, more detailed sound without giving up the advantages of the tubes (more meat mid and low end). Also, if you have only the stock tubes, many folks like the 7308s (e.g., Siemans, Amperex).

Doug

Brian Fitterman

Stunt Coordinator
Evan, the buttons are in the same place and except for the fact that the logos for the different codecs (DTS, THX etc..) go accross the top instead of jammed in the top right corner. The switching is much faster than my old 20, but as you said that was only a slight annoyance at worst.

I do love the blue though...

Doug, I do not have the upsampler yet, but I am going to order soon. I also do not have the upgraded tubes yet. I am going to talk to the guy at upscale audio...he is supposed to be able to recommend a tube that matches your speakers better.

Brian Fitterman

Stunt Coordinator
Evan, the buttons are in the same place and except for the fact that the logos for the different codecs (DTS, THX etc..) go accross the top instead of jammed in the top right corner. The switching is much faster than my old 20, but as you said that was only a slight annoyance at worst.

I do love the blue though...

Doug, I do not have the upsampler yet, but I am going to order soon. I also do not have the upgraded tubes yet. I am going to talk to the guy at upscale audio...he is supposed to be able to recommend a tube that matches your speakers better.

Dennis Oblow

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dennis
If I was going to upgrade it would be to the D1 and not the 30. The 20 and 30 are essentially the same unit with a blue display rather than a green one, and an additional set of component ins and outs. It is my understanding that both units will continue to be supported, so until there's an upgrade I want and can't have, I am happy with my 20

Dennis Oblow

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dennis
If I was going to upgrade it would be to the D1 and not the 30. The 20 and 30 are essentially the same unit with a blue display rather than a green one, and an additional set of component ins and outs. It is my understanding that both units will continue to be supported, so until there's an upgrade I want and can't have, I am happy with my 20

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks