What's new

ANOTHER Star Wars Trilogy (Trilogies?) DVD release on 11/04/08... (1 Viewer)

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink

I don't understand how this works with regard to the subtitles. The subtitles on the "original original" trilogy DVDs are burned into the image itself, as opposed to encoded using "soft" DVD subtitles, aren't they? That being the case, how does your program know what part of the image represents the subtitles, and where/how to reposition them?

Alex cosmo

Stunt Coordinator
If the various versions of Close Encounters can be restored, there's no reason Star Wars couldn't.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
What's the difference between doing that, and pressing the 'zoom' button on your DVD player's remote?

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Who would zoom in using a DVD player? DVD player zooming is not only terrible, but often has that 4x, 6x, printed on the screen at all times depending on the player.

Using a zoom mode on a widescreen TV yields better results but would crop the subtitles.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
I thought the zoom functions on most good DVD players were preferable to the zoom functions on TVs. :confused:

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I had a chance to tape all 6 star wars movies off HBO last year in HD. they do look very nice. I have them on my DVR.

Jacob

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

If that's the case with your player, it must be a damn good (as in expensive) DVD player!

To be clear, I'm not talking about the setup menu aspect ratio setting a DVD player has, like "16:9 shrink" , "16:9 zoom" and so on, I mean the simple zoom button on a DVD remote.

At the same time, on my DVD player using that 16:9 zoom setting makes 4:3 DVDs look a bit poor.

My television's stretch and zoom modes don't make DVDs look pixellated, so quality remains much nicer than the DVD player would.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

That has always been the way it is with my equipment. I used to use a Sony upconverting player that zoomed pretty well, and kept the subtitles in the proper place. However, in the corner of the screen was an annoying "2x" graphic. People complained to Sony about it, hoping for a firmware update, but an update never materialized.

I usually use the TVs "expand" button to fill up the screen with a non-anamorphic DVD, but then the subtitles drop too low and become largely unreadable. So, when I watch the OOT, I usually un-expand the picture and watch it in a box for scenes like "Greedo doesn't shoot". Alternatives are buying another player, buying another set, watching the laserdisc-sourced DVD-Rs or using Nicholas' solution to make the current discs anamorphic. IMO, Nicholas's solution is best for me.

Jonathan Peterson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Peterson
This is why I always recommend Oppo players to my friends. Not only do they play any region discs and upconvert really well but they have many zoom features without any annoying graphics on screen.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
The sound isn't quite as good as the LDs great PCM sdtk. But the DVDs' picture is much better than what my LD player is capable of displaying. I'm sure there are some fan-edits in the works that combine the "superior" DVD PQ (such as it is) with the superior LD sound.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
So the 192kbps ac3 compression is what makes the Dolby track of the DVD inferior, or is it a different, more dynamic mix on the Laserdisc PCM?

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
They're the exact same mixes, so I guess it's the DD compression.

brendan0576

Auditioning
Real Name
Brendan
unlike all the suckers out there who buy the box sets when they are released and at the beck and call of fox i don't buy them at all i bought the special edition box set 3-4 years ago but not the more recent one containing only the theatrical cuts.. i can't be bothered buying them all the time.i am happy with one chosen set..

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks