What's new

Another Sam Peckinpah film getting a R1 2-Disc SE DVD!! (1 Viewer)

Thomas Hart

Stunt Coordinator
First Criterion's "Straw Dogs", now this:

From Anchor Bay's In the Future Section (Updated 2/12):

"THE OSTERMAN WEEKEND" - Fall/Winter 2003

It was Robert Ludlum's first novel and director Sam Peckinpah's final film. Finally coming to DVD, this suspenseful conspiracy thriller (which will be presented in a 2-Disc Set) will be newly restored from original negative materials and will contain audio commentary, cast & crew interviews and numerous other special features to be announced. Closed Captioned For The Hearing Impaired.

Finally my Peckinpah collection can get off the ground!:D

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Now, Warner needs to do his best film over again "The Wild Bunch". Also, an uncut "Major Dundee" needs to get a dvd release.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Ditto what Robert said. I've been holding out on The Wild Bunch because I'm hoping for an anamorphic non-flipper.

And who owns the rights to Ride the High Country?

DeanR

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
I love this movie. I hope there are deleted scenes because this movie could use an extended cut in MHO. Great News!

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Great news! Thanks for the heads-up. :emoji_thumbsup:

Yes, where is Ride the High Country? Not to mention a better friggin' version of Cross of Iron!

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I'll second or third the requests for The Wild Bunch SE, Major Dundee (un-cut) & Ride the High Country. RTHC was an MGM property so its probably owned by Warner now. Dundee might be Columbia.

BTW - The Wild Bunch actually has a pretty decent transfer for an early gen DVD. Flippers don't bother me all that much either (I do own Laserdiscs). At least its out on DVD.

I'll also throw out requests for Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid (un-cut) & Ballad of Cable Hogue.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
I wonder if The Osterman Weekend will have the original director's cut on it? As far as I know, it was taken out of Peckinpah's hands in post-production and re-edited. A 2-disc set does give hope...

rossini

Auditioning
Good news, but Closed Caption sucks, why not subtitle?

BTW, Japan's Wild Bunch is anamorphic (1 disc/2 sides), only 1,500 Yen.

Terry H

Second Unit

I second the CC sucks comment. Why? I discovered on the Band of Brothers set that CC will not work in progressive scan - subtitles will. So if you are hard of hearing you can choose best picture quality OR be able to understand what is going on. You cannot get both.

Mark Anthony

Second Unit
;-) "If they're not out on dvd...kill 'em"!!!

With the warner chat mere hours away I thought this thread is more pertinant than ever. Since the last chat Warner have done wonder's with back catalogue gems, but seem to have overlooked this genius's work, now with the endorsement of Criterion in their superlative edition of Straw Dogs - perhaps it is time for his work to be re-evaluated, with the aid of some brand new shiny dvd's!

I would love to see:

A 2 disc edition of the Wild-Bunch, in anamorphic this time

The full director's cut of Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid, including the 2mins of footage not incorporated into the 1986 122 min "restoration", Roger Spottiswode the films editor knows where this footage is and how to re-cut it back in..

A remaster of The Getaway, as the current dvd frankly sucks in quality.

Cross of Iron was released by Warner & Canal Plus in england, perhaps Warner US can obtain the rights too - I'm not sure if the Pal 126 min 16*9 version on this dvd, is the full-length or not.

Thats's not forgetting Ride The High Country, Bring me the Head of Alfredo Garcia, Major Dundee (c'mon columbia..) & The Ballad of Cable Hogue

There's practically a box-set itching to be made out of this kinda quality material...

I won't be able to make the chat tomorrow due to the time difference, could someone please mention at the very least the first three for me

Regards to all

M

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
why was Osterman Weekend taken from Sam Peckinpah in the first place ?
After watching the Peckinpah documentary on Straw Dogs last weekend, I would guess that the studio probably finally got tired of waiting for Peckinpah to complete the shooting or editing of the film. According to the documentary, he would shoot film until he was forced to stop, and would continue editing until the film was finally taken away from him -- and this got worse later in his career. He became almost impossible to work with. It was a fascinating documentary.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
If anyone has a multi-region player I recommend getting the region 2 DVD of Cross of Iron. It's head & shoulders above the region 1 version and it's OAR.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
When o when will we get at least a Wild Bunch non-flipper...WB..come on...you did Color Purple and bunches of others...do Wild Bunch!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks