What's new

Another receiver vs separates questions. (1 Viewer)

CurtisSC

Screenwriter

Yes...the 180X, 200X, and 300X series are the new/current amps and I have seen them on Audiogon once in a while...still too expensive for me. The older 250X amps also pop up once in a while.

BrianAe

Second Unit
Curtis,

At some point, please post your thoughts on the effect of your total upgrade from receiver to seperates. I think your a very interesting data point since you have speakers in the group ofte cited as "being good enough to pair with electronics normally associated with more expensive speakers..."

thanks,

Brian

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Hi Brian,

With the ATI amp, the most notable difference was more authoritive bass. The ATI also seems cleaner and not as "warm"...but these two are hard to notice without a real good way to A/B the two setups.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Here is the path I took to seperates;

Started out with a Pio Elite Vsx97x reciever.
This was the best pro-logic rec. ever built by the way.
Then I added the sp99d DD decoder/preamp and used the amps in the 97.
Then I was given a Phase Linear Lab. Standard 400 amp that I used for the front channels.
Then One Call had the ATI on clearance for $1000.00 and so I replaced the P L with that. Then I mortgaged the house, took my kid outta college, sold my wedding ring, sold my hair, rented out my kid, cut down all the trees on my property and sold as fire wood, and bought and Anthem pre-pro.

I think the most dramatic change in my system was the Anthem.
There was also a change when I went to the PhaseL from the amps in the rec., but I had to go back and forth between the two to tell what they were. There was less of a difference from the PhaseL to the ATI, but the ATI did everything a bit better.

I have also had fellow poster Tim Gray's mighty Parasound 2205 amp in my system for a couple of weeks too and liked it too. The ATI is not as laid back in the upper freqs. as the Parasound. To both our ears the ATI fits my system better though.
I am not saying that ATI is the end all in amps. I am saying that to me they are very under rated as far as what a great amp they are. I would consider it clinical. Not warm, not bright, maybe even dry if you will.

Helping Tim with upgrading his system was a good experience because we got to see what changes during all the phases of switching out receivers for pre-pros and amps and such. And then be able to compare what we heard. This process took months so we got used to how each scenario sounded.

I think the thing we both noticed the most was a tightening of the sound. Everything became less hazy or distant sounding. Sounds were more distinct. This helped in all areas.
If you are interested, here is a link to some pretty good pricing for ATI. I doubt they are authorized, but ask them or call ATI. They are very nice people.

http://downtownaudio.com/atiamps.html

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks