What's new

Another one: 'Alien' prepares to be rebooted (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
If this info is accurate then Ridley Scott is nuts.
Yeah, this is troubling to me. What kind of movie is trying to make for that much money? "Alien" and "Aliens" were made on very tight budgets and they still look better to me than most expensive CGI heavy films.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Originally Posted by WillG

Yeah, this is troubling to me. What kind of movie is trying to make for that much money? "Alien" and "Aliens" were made on very tight budgets and they still look better to me than most expensive CGI heavy films.

I wonder what Alien, and Aliens would cost to make today? Something tells me they would be VERY expensive. Would each one cost $200 million to make? All i know is they would cost more then $30 million!

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
While the battle between Ridley and FOX on the rating continues, the films are now pushed back a year, or so it seems.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/18861/-alien-prequel-delayed-a-year

[COLOR= rgb(128, 0, 0)]Ridley Scott's untitled "Alien" prequel films have been pushed back a year according to [/COLOR][COLOR= rgb(128, 0, 0)]Script Flags[/COLOR][COLOR= rgb(128, 0, 0)].[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(128, 0, 0)]Originally the plan was to shoot both films starting February in the UK for releases in 2012 and 2013, now it seems 2013 & 2014 releases are being targeted. Neither Fox or Scott have given a reason for the delay, though it's speculated the film is being delayed for further script and production development.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(128, 0, 0)]The other month emerged reports that Scott and Fox had come to disagreements over the film's budget and tone - Scott wanted a big budget and R rating, Fox wanted a cheaper PG-13 effort. "Lost" showrunner Damon Lindelof performed a rewrite of Jon Spaihts's screenplay that all parties were apparently happy with - though this report indicates that may not be the case.[/COLOR]

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I dont see the rating being a problem as much as the material itself.

Alien is a franchise that most think is well beyond its prime and has been beaten to death. Having Ridleys name on it is the only thing that would get my ass in a seat and bad news/reviews will pretty easy kill my anticipation.

Its a tough sell IMHO.

Kazz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
We have so many aliens in this country, Why can't they be original and write about them.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
If it ends up being PG-13 at least we know that Ridley will give us a DC when it hits Blu-ray.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Originally Posted by JonZ

I dont see the rating being a problem as much as the material itself.

Alien is a franchise that most think is well beyond its prime and has been beaten to death. Having Ridleys name on it is the only thing that would get my ass in a seat and bad news/reviews will pretty easy kill my anticipation.

Its a tough sell IMHO.

By 2014, when the second of these films gets released, Alien will be 35 years old. It's going to have to be a hell of movie to be a hit. Good word of mouth will be essential. IIRC, the last Alien film to be a hit was Aliens, 24 years ago.

That said, if anyone can pull this off, it's Ridley Scott.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Sam Favate wrote (post #87):

[COLOR= rgb(218, 165, 32)]By 2014, when the second of these films gets released, Alien will be 35 years old. It's going to have to be a hell of movie to be a hit. Good word of mouth will be essential. IIRC, the last Alien film to be a hit was Aliens, 24 years ago.[/COLOR]

Well, see, that's part of modern "marketing-think": "Alien(s) for a new generation!" (even though they call it a "prequel"). "This ain't your father's face-hugger!"

[COLOR= rgb(218, 165, 32)]That said, if anyone can pull this off, it's Ridley Scott.[/COLOR]

At what point does a veteran director become a hack?

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
And... its dead.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/heat-vision/foxs-alien-prequel-morphs-prometheus-72052

Oh well.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
"[COLOR= rgb(255, 160, 122)]Fox's 'Alien' Prequel Dead, 'Prometheus' Rises[/COLOR]"

[COLOR= rgb(255, 160, 122)]The Alien prequel is dead and a new Ridley Scott project has been reborn.

Fox has announced that instead of making a much-talked about Alien movie, the project has been reconfigured as an original sci-fi movie, titled Prometheus, with Scott still at the helm . . . .[/COLOR] [COLOR= rgb(255, 160, 122)]. . . . .

. . . under [Damon] Lindelof . . . the project morphed into something more original.

“While Alien was indeed the jumping off point for this project, out of the creative process evolved a new, grand mythology and universe in which this original story takes place,” said Scott in a statement. “The keen fan will recognize strands of Alien's DNA, so to speak, but the ideas tackled in this film are unique, large and provocative. I couldn't be more pleased to have found the singular tale I'd been searching for, and finally return to this genre that's so close to my heart.”

"In a world flooded with prequels, sequels and reboots,” stated Lindelof. “I was incredibly struck by just how original Ridley's vision was for this movie. It's daring, visceral and hopefully, the last thing anyone expects.”
. . . . .

Prometheus is actually a bold move for Fox as it means leaving behind a project that has a strong brand and legacy behind it. You’ve got to wonder what kind of conversations Scott had with the studio to persuade them to go with it.[/COLOR]

Translation: cookie-cutter movie A (as in "Alien") moves to cookie-cutter movie B (as in "(B)old Move"). (E.g., expect a fanny-hugger in place of a face-hugger.) HA! In Hollywood, bad ideas never die!

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
A report that the Prometheus film is still connected to the Alien franchise....

"Despite that press release that seemed to indicate there were no aliens in the movie, the familiar HR Giger-style aliens do appear. Big ones apparently"

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/19249/-prometheus-still-has-hr-giger-s-aliens-

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.