What's new

Another one: 'Alien' prepares to be rebooted (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Didn't anyone learn anything from remaking Planet of the Apes, a movie that didn't need a remake, reboot or restart?

Alien is in the same class. In their search for projects with brand-name recognition, studios are cheapening their most classic film properties.

Do not, do not, do not remake Blade Runner either. How about creating something new that's also great? Yes, that involves some risk, but moviemaking necrophilia produces nothing but empty box office calories.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
" How about creating something new that's also great? "

Especially as theres a endless supply of material to inspire and adapt from out there.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

Having Just seen the new Terminator, I think McG would be a great choice for both an Alien or (better yet) a Blade Runner remake. He really knows how to do both a convincing futuristic story, while staying true to the original story it was based on. I'm sure he could make a version of Blade Runner that wasn't so confusing!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

I'll second that condemnation. I absolutely hate Paul Verhoeven's films. I can really do without the not-so-subtle fascist subtexts, and I do not want it applied to one of my favorite movies. Ditto the over-the-top ludicrous sexuality.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

Well I haven't seen Terminator 4 yet but McG did direct some pretty good music videos before getting into movies. Good choice Russ. I'm a huge Verhoeven fan and he could remake everything and I wouldn't complain. I am a fan of Ridley Scott's flawed sci-fi classic, it's at no.439 on my 1000 favourite films list, which is quite high.

Philip K.Dick's 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep' could do with a more faithful adaptation. Timur Bekmambetov is another good choice for director. Anyone agree?

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

With Starship Troopers being essentially a propaganda film, it's supposed to be not so subtle. I think he made some great films, especially in the Netherlands. But being Dutch, I'm probably biased.
If only he could have done a more faithful adaptation of H.G. Wells' Invisible Man instead of the crapfest Hollow Men we got. That could've been a great film.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Ok, Ive had to put with this crap. Halloween was bad enough. But if they even THINK of redoing Blade Runner.....

There.Will.Be.Blood.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
A remake or prequel to Alien is fine, but it'd better be rated "R" and liken unto the original, not at all like 2, 3, 4 or how ever many joke sequels there were.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

It wasn't just Starship Troopers (which I hated), but Robocop, Basic Instinct, and Showgirls, among others, all fit my original description. I won't see anything he does anymore. I've seen enough to know I don't like his style of filmmaking.

But back to Alien - perhaps with Ridley Scott's involvement, a prequel won't be a disaster, but placed chronologically in the inevitable DVD box set, it spoils the first movie, in which the crew has no idea what they are up against or what they've found. Most of them never even see the beast, until it is too late, and the audience only gets the most fleeting glimpses until the very end.

Incidentally, this news of another film comes about a week after the original film's 30th anniversary.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I would rather they made a direct sequel to "Alien 3". Why did they let a french guy make an Alien movie? The only part of the fourth one I liked was the 15-second alternate ending in a post-apocalyptic Paris. I think that's the direction they should take this series to: a chase film (aliens hunting humans) on a ravaged future Earth and end the thing with any human survivors hijacking an alien ship and heading toward space ala "Battlestar Galactica" in search of a new home. Twist ending: they end up on the original alien planet and the cycle starts anew! Whaddaya think?

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron

Pretty much. Was it entertaining? Yes. But it was nothing like the original, not even close.

The Alien series, just like with the Terminator series went down hill by moving towards campy. Throwing in one-liners to make it funny, doing away with any type of suspense, in a sense, they changed they entire direction set by the first film and went from horror to popcorn action.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Not being like the original is one of the great things about Aliens. Alien had been made already so instead of mindlessly copying it, they took the basic idea and did something different with it.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
They have ruined the aliens and predator series so much that I doubt anything good will ever come from them again. At least we have the originals.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Which was a mistake. They could have made Aliens much better if they would have stayed clear of the making it so campy.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

No offense, but that statment leaves me dumbfounded. Are you sure you're not confusing "Aliens" with "Alien Resurrection?"

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Well, guess there's a first time for everything Will, and no, I'm not confusing the films. Aliens was a fun popcorn ride of a movie, pure popcorn. No suspense, lots of action and one liners.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.