What's new

another help with new receiver pick !!! (1 Viewer)

Joe*H

Stunt Coordinator
Guys I just can't decide between the following models, I have searched this entire board and for pros and cons about each, please someone help me decide between the following;

yamaha rx-v757
onkyo 702 refurb
harman kardon 430 refurb, maybe a 630
pioneer 1015

these are the units that are in my price range with the 630 pushing it to the limit only if its just blows the others away by a long shot, I have klipsch sf-3 front, sf-1 rears, mk v-1b sub and a def tech c-1 center, I am currently useing a yamaha 5740. I'm looking for something that will fill up my 15'x15' living room for movies and that will also rock when I play music. I have gone to the stores and listened to the receivers but I just can't decide someone please help.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Yamaha 5890 under $500 from various sources as well. Of AVR's in this price range, I feel it has the most power.

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
However, they trumpet that power rating of 980 watts, but that rating comes from the number measured at 1kHz, and 0.7% THD, multiplied by 7. And Yamaha does not specify how they rate their receivers' power. The FTC says that in order for a reciever company to put out a specification that is labeled "All Channels Driven", all 7 channels need to be driven, but only one channel needs to be driven to its full rated output power. The rest of the channels can simply loaf along at 1/8 of that power. Harman/Kardon, on the other hand, builds much more robust receivers that can deliver their full rated output on all channels, simultaneously. When I worked at Fry's, that was something the H/K guys always told me to make a big deal of, and when it comes down to getting the performance you pay for, it is a big deal.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I'm not going by the numbers on that one.

I am going from experiences with it in large difficult rooms. Seems to have some real muscle to it is all.

Holds reference levels better than say a Pioneer 1014/1015 in my experience is all and the pre/pro section is really robust.

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
Yeah. When I was at Fry's, a couple weeks before I left, the subwoofer switcher in one of the demo rooms crapped out, but when I told the AVR 435 that we were using that there was no subwoofer connected, it did a scary impression of a subwoofer from a set of JBL E80 mains. You should see those little 6" cones bounce! That's what has always sold me on H/K gear.

Oh, the rooms were all open at the back, so no pressurization and little to no 'room gain', either.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
You could also pick up the Panasonic XR55 and have a few hundred left over for some music or videos.

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
While the Panasonic XR recievers are an interesting option in their price class, they won't even touch a good H/K. I think that our poster was looking for something in the range of quality of the H/K product.

Paul Mor

Stunt Coordinator
I got an H/K about a year and a half ago and have been very pleased. I had a Yamaha (I believe the model you mentioned) and while I did like it, I don't think it's as good as a comparably priced H/K. Before the Yamaha I had an Onkyo that I really liked, but again I like the H/K better. I will mention also, I think the Yamaha has more bells and whistles (DSP fields, etc), but not as much power.

Joe*H

Stunt Coordinator
I not realy a bells and whistles guy, I dont mess with the delay's or the dsp fields. It sound like to me that the hk may be the one to go with being that everyone says it has the most power. Does the hk 430/630 have the eq feature stated above or is that just on the 435. thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks