What's new

Another convert... (1 Viewer)

Alright, so... I've been around here for a long time and know that most all of you are bose bashers. Me being me got some anyway, I thought "They sound just fine to me". Recently I have been looking to upgrade. I got a ps3 for Blu-ray and a new Denon 887 for the uncompressed sound, so I decided - time for new speakers. I have been out demoing Polk and Focal mostly. I listened to the "factory floor" scene from I, Robot at CC on a Polk CS2; then I went home and listened to it on my bose speakers - the difference was unbelievable to me. I found myself saying "but wasn't there at this point?" etc... So, now I officially HAVE to upgrade my speakers (I'm sure the wife will understand). I don't have a huge budget, I was looking at starting with a good center speaker and moving to the rest later. I had pretty much settled on the Focal/JM Labs CC800VB with the rest of the speakers to come later, as I said. Then I started looking at the HTF sponsors Axiom and SVS. These two companies seem to offer a LOT more bang for the buck?!?!? Opinions please... Also I noticed that Axiom has di-pole/quad-pole speakers for their surrounds. Is this just really cool or would having quad-pole surrounds make a night and day difference? Is Axiom and or SVS as good as Focal? Would I be better served by staying with Polk? Opine please!

Oh yeah, I am firmly in the "No highs, no Lows... must be Bose" camp now!

Shane.

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
our perception is limited to our experience. whatever bose's limitations may be, they will sound better than some other speakers/ systems out there to some people some of the time. frankly, stick 'em up in the corners of a large room and they may be great for a large party where soundstage and imaging are wholely unimportant. for HT or critical music litening though,:thumbsdown:.

generally internet only companies do present more bang for the buck. those are certainly respected ones. will you like the jm labs more? only you can say. will a $400 speaker sound better than a $200 speaker. of course it should, but you may prefer the cheaper one.

as for the quad pole? i don't know. i do know some people prefer dipole for surrounds. if you're thinking about that route, just make sure your placement options suit dipoles - behind and slightly above the listening area on the SIDE walls. i'm sure others have had success with them elsewhere, but this is where they are intended to be placed.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The fact is, if you had a restaurant and wanted soft background music, Bose would probably be a pretty good choice. Their lack of high end and tendency to severely compress dynamics would actually be a plus. So, there is certainly a place for Bose. Movies? Serious music listening? No way.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Axiom and SVS are good companies, consider AV123 as well.

MikeNg

Second Unit
Bose serves a place in the audio world, just not in home theater (IMO).

Quad pole? Sounds like marketing-speak. Looks like it's still four drivers, but where others normally mount the woof's on the outward radiating sides of the box, they chose to put them on top and bottom. Maybe this helps in creating a more diffused effect (wider null area). I don't know, but it still looks like a 'dipole' to me.

Anyway, if you can audition some of these speakers in your area, that might help you decide what camp you want to build your system in. Have you tried to see if there's anyone in your area that would give a demo?

2 cents.

Jacob C

Second Unit
I have speakers from ascend acoustics and I have not once heard better speakers in any store except specilized AV stores and they are always much more money than I paid for mine. Needless to say I am very happy with them.

Antonio S

Stunt Coordinator
Some time ago, back in the dark ages, I went looking for a pair of good stereo speakers. Since My buds were extoling the virtues of Bose systems, these were some of the first speakers I auditioned. Frankly I was underwhelmed by what I listened to locally, so, I stuck my receiver under my arm,(tough to drive that way) and went to the next major town about thirty miles distant.
I auditioned three sets of towers at an AV store and was able to make a choice that I've been happy with for these many years.
You may try the same.
Remember, how sound is perceived between individuals is subjective. Every review you read and suggestion you receive should only be used as a guide. Your final purchase will have to pass the scrutiny of your own two ears.
Best of luck.
Tony...

Well, I did it! I dove in and bought Polk RM50's for front left, and right and a CSi3 for the center. I got the RM50's for $300.00 each and the CSi for 149.99. How'd I do???

Shane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks