What's new

Another big run series is reportedly on the way (1 Viewer)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I'm not holding out on the details on this one as I only know limited information myself. But I just got the word that a massive series, long unavailable in any form, has been contracted for and is being digitally mastered as we speak. Only about 80 done so far with lots more to go. Don't know who has the rights as they wouldn't tell me. Not Ozzie and Harriet.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
"Massive" would seem to imply something longer than five seasons and with *no* DVD representation at all which would rule out "Lassie".

Dare I hope, "Burns And Allen"?

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I dunno...Jack Benny? I don't think there's a lot of shows that haven't gotten at least a "best of" disc at some point. He may be talking about the already-rumored Our Miss Brooks. Or Make Room for Daddy? Dare I hope?

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Jack Benny just had the DVD release from Shout and "Make Room For Daddy" wouldn't count since it has two seasons on DVD. I'm assuming "long unavailable in any form" has to mean no DVD release previously at all of any kind even in limited quantity.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I'm not sure I would completely dismiss Lassie as a contender just yet since there is very little that could be considered as massive as it. And who is to say whether the statement of "long unavailable in any form" should be taken quite so literally. In relation to the sheer quantity of episodes available for Lassie the few "best of" sets that have been released to date could easily be dismissed by someone taking on this opportunity. Not saying it is Lassie, just that the little information provided so far is not enough to completely discount it.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
lassie was on for about 20 years. but timmy may have only been on for 5.

neil will let us know when he knows.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
If "massive and long unavailable" are the key words here, it we take Ozzie and Harriet out of the mix, there can only be a few reasonable guesses.

1) Lassie (as already mentioned)

2) Benny

3) Burns and Allen

4) Dragnet (b/w)

or a variety series such as

Red Skelton

I just can't think of anything else, sans Sullivan and such, that would meet this criteria.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
I agree with Brad that LASSIE seems an appropriate guess. A set of every incarnation of the series could qualify as massive and I see their being a potential market for such an undertaking more than BURNS & ALLEN or JACK BENNY.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i would be surprised if it was a variety show - unless it was the ed sullivan show.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Neil mentions that it's been "long unavailable in any form," so does that mean that no releases of it have ever come out or just that the SERIES has not been available? If the former, that would exclude LASSIE and all the other guesses thus far. Need clarification on this from the OP. Unlike some in this forum, I actually love guessing threads like this. It gives one hope, however briefly, that one of their grails may be seeing the light.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
I would strongly suspect Lassie and even stronger just the Timmy years, since even Benny, Burns & Allen aren't considered "iconic" enough pop properties to sell to retro fans for a complete run.
It would be nice to see some Our Miss Brooks outside of YouTube too, but everyone knows who the hugged collie was, even if they weren't born then.

"(TV exec: ) A boy and his dog--It's never been done before!"
"But sir, where's the educational programming value?"
"Are you kidding? It's LOADED with message: 'Be nice to your dog, and he won't bite you'--You can't beat that for education!"

- The Jetsons
jimmyjet said:
i would be surprised if it was a variety show - unless it was the ed sullivan show.
I'd be pretty surprised if it was Ed, since we've had compilations aplenty, but never the complete show. (I don't care about the danged Beatles, I want to see what the rest of the show was like!)

As for other classic variety, can't think of what memorable names haven't come out yet on small-sets, even from other post-Rhino splinters like E1--Tony Orlando, Flip Wilson, Donny & Marie, Captain & Tenille, and of course Carol Burnett, they're all spoken for.
Maybe about the three "Vietnam" seasons of Smothers Brothers?

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
jimmyjet said:
lassie was on for about 20 years. but timmy may have only been on for 5.

neil will let us know when he knows.
Timmy went from mid season 4 through the beginning of season 11. I could see the Timmy years coming out first, as done for Dark Shadow's. But like Dark Shadow's I think the Jeff years would do quite well when given a chance. In many ways I like the Jeff era better. And the Cory years as the ranger can be good as well in their own way.

I saw very little of Lassie in syndication but have viewed seasons 1 through 13 with my kids. The only odd time period is the second half of season 4. As a result, if someone decided to release Lassie and wanted to start with Timmy, I can see them starting with season 5.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Ejanss said:
I'd be pretty surprised if it was Ed, since we've had compilations aplenty, but never the complete show. (I don't care about the danged Beatles, I want to see what the rest of the show was like!)
I'll admit that I bought the Ed Sullivan Show releases with the Beatles and Elvis for those performances only, but I was plesantly surprised to enjoy the entire shows that included those performances. A nice timecapsule of the period. However, I can't say that I would buy anything more than a "Best Of..." of the Ed Sullivan Show. I enjoyed the mini sets of the Dean Martin Roasts more than expected as well.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i dont think i even knew that there was a pre-timmy lassie until later on. or at least i no longer recall knowing about it ?

when i started watching, i think timmy was already there.

i do have recall of timmy leaving - mainly cuz i recall conversations about timmy possibly returning.

so while i dont recall it, i do know that i watched after-timmy for at least a little while.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
well i suppose we will basically be surprised no matter what it is.

my statement of surprise with ed really meant that i dont think many variety shows will be released.

when i made that original thread, i was never even thinking of variety shows, news shows, or talk shows.

but i do think ed sullivan spans the gap, in that it would sell if made.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i just checked - timmy started in sept 54. i was born 3 months later. so when timmy came on, i would be about 4.

it is at least possible i saw some pre-timmy.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I would disagree with the idea that "Burns And Allen" and Jack Benny are not "iconic" enough compared to "Lassie." I'm prejudiced perhaps but both are well-known titles with followings among those who overlap the areas of vintage radio and TV. But Benny has to be out because of the Shout release, so let's take that off the table and because there are also separate rights issues regarding the filmed shows owned by Universal for the traditional syndication package. "Burns And Allen" has had zero DVD releases other than public domain releases of some of the live shows from the first two seasons. With six filmed seasons of 39 episodes annually that's quite a large take in excess of the 80 so far for this mystery title.

Of course 50s "Dragnet" would also be wonderful news and is also a good possibility.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
The entire issue hinges on what Neil means by the following two descriptors:

"massive series"

"long unavailable in any form" [emphasis mine]

If we take him literally, then an argument could be made that neither Lassie, Burns & Allen, Benny, Dragnet and other guesses qualify because they have been available in at least one form. Even if that form is a poorly released Alpha-type dvd, it's still technically been available. The bottom line is that he'll need to more precisely define what he means with those two descriptions for anyone to be able to guess correctly.

Gary "of course I know exactly what he's referring to, but I'd have to kill someone if I told them - just kidding, I have no idea" O. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks