What's new

Announcement: Warner Home Video Blu-Ray Loyalty and HD-DVD Trade Up Program (1 Viewer)

Ensign Eddie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
"Trade Up"?

"for those who want to upgrade titles"?

Who's writing WB's press releases nowadays? Bill Hunt? :laugh:

Seriously, the only thing I might consider "exchanging" (a better, less antagonistic term, I think) is the Harry Potter set. Since red2blu is blocked at work, can someone tell how they are handling exchanging the Harry Potter suitcase set of five films? There are no covers to return (unless you count the wrap-around piece on the suitcase itself).

BTW, I was also a fan of the Combo disk format. I find it funny that some BD releases are now coming with a DVD copy (although it is on a second disk). I wonder if the same people that complained about Combo disks are complaining about having to pay even a little more for the dual-format BDs.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
You really can't compare them, given that most of the films coming out with Digital Copies are the mass market disks that are retail discounted and the combo flippers cost on average above $10 more than other similar catalog titles.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I just emailed them to ask that very question.

At the very least, one should be able to upgrade the copy of The Matrix included in the Trilogy box, since it's identical to the single disc.

Ensign Eddie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott

Actually, I was talking about how things like the Pinocchio and Sleeping Beauty BDs have an extra disk with the DVD version, not Digital Copies (don't get me started on Digital Copies).

However, as I recall, the Combo flippers were only $5 more list. And I paid a lot less than that for them even when HD-DVD was still going strong.

But, this is kind of beside the point. What I really want to know is if I can convert my HP set to BD.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I understand that, and in fact I recently made some similar purchases for the same reason. (I own two HD DVD players as well.)

When I made that quoted remark, I was actually hinting at a different, slightly less honourable technique.

Cees

Frank Ha

Second Unit
Real Name
Frank Harrison
Well, I just started the swap procedure. I'm exchanging 11 movies. We'll see how long it takes until I actually have the movies in hand.

I will say that it is fantastic that WB is doing this. Thank you Warner Brothers!

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
For the HP set, you send in the cardboard folder for the 1st disc only - just the holder, not the disc. I assume you will get back the 5 discs in the same cardboard folders. I doubt they'd resend the entire suitcase (but who knows, it may be cheaper for them just to ship the suitcase out of existing stock). Either way, it's a pretty good trade-in deal for $15.

For the other sets, it's a similar procedure. Send in the paper stuck on the back for the Ultimate Matrix. Send in the paper slipcover (flattened) for the Oceans 11-12-13 set.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Intriguing program that I will consider. It will be interesting to see ho it works out and I too am wondering about Casablanca.

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H

Man, I hope I kept that paper. Sometimes those slips (and their awful attendant adhesive) are the first things I toss.

ReggieW

Screenwriter

I concur.

The correct terminology would be "swap."

Most of the WHV titles on HD-DVD and Blu are pretty much identical. As long as I continue to have a functioning player, I have no immediate need to rush out and "upgrade." The WHV press release makes it sound as if you're moving up to holographic disc or something! Don't get me wrong, the Warner offer is honorable, and they continue to prove that they are willing to go above and beyond the norm to keep their fans happy.

Sadly, the program just isn't for me.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I called the company this morning also asking about the matrix thing.. they have gotten alot of calls about it.. at the time they were not doing anything about it.. I bet if more people called about it or emailed.. maybe they would work something out about it.
I also asked about the superman returns being trueHD or not.. they are suppose to get back to me about that.

UPDATE: They said that they will take the trade in of the matrix movie collection and you will get the upgrade complete set on bluray.. the other good news is that superman returns will indeed have trueHD.

Jacob

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Zounds. This is a pretty sweet deal. Even though I love my BH200 (and have a noisy Xbox 360 HDDVD box as well), I'd just as soon err on the side of caution in regards to repairs. Plus, the BH200 has more HD-DVD issues than Blu ones. Just sent in an order for 20 titles.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
So...what happens if you no longer have the paper that was glued on the back of The Matrix set? Just out of luck? :frowning:

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason

Thanks for checking on that. I will consider SR swap now that I know I will get a TrueHD BD for it. No way would I accept a DD one.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I'd like to upgrade Phantom of the Opera but the blu doesn't have trueHD, so it would be a downgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks