What's new

Anime movies (1 Viewer)

Mikey Ber

Stunt Coordinator
I am getting into Anime movies, any recommendations on which movies you guys enjoyed. Thanks.
Mike:)

Kenneth

Supporting Actor
Well, since you didn't say which ones you have seen or liked, here are a few choices:

Vampire Hunter D

Princess Mononoke

Akira

Ninja Scroll

Ghost in the Shell

Some series I enjoy:

Slayers

Lodoss

Serial Experiments Lain

Vampire Princess Miyu

Enjoy.

Kenneth

StephenA

Screenwriter
I agree with the movies mentioned. I also recommend Black Jack. I have the movies mentioned, plus Grave of the Fireflies and Perfect Blue. I have yet to see Grave of the Fireflies and Perfect Blue though.

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
Kenneth summed the big ones up real well. Another one I loved that he didn't mention was Fist of the North Star . There are many others that are good, but start with those.

Matt Bowen

Auditioning
Perfect Blue is great! You should watch it soon.
I'll also recommend Kite. Pretty dark and disturbing, but a good flick none the less :)
I'm also mostly into series/OVAs. Out of my 50-or-so+ Anime DVDs, I think only about 5 are actual, theatrical films, heh.

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
This topic comes up quite frequently (and I always seem to have the same responses :))
For feature-length animations, I'd recommend
Akira
Perfect Blue; while not for everybody (some of the material contains deeply shocking scenes of rape), the story is solid...worth watching at least once.
Ghost in the Shell (moreso based on others' recommendations than mine; I haven't watched it completely yet)
Grave of the Fireflies
Mononoke Hime (Princess Mononoke)
(and my favorite film of all-time, not just anime) Kaze no tani no Nausicaa (Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind), done by the same director as Mononoke Hime, Miyazaki Hayao.
For series, I'd recommend:
Serial Experiments: Lain -- easily my favorite series of all of them. Weird, heady, psychedelic...some of the themes explored in here have been done before, but the style of the series is wholly unique, the conclusion satisfying but thought-provoking (not to mention quite a tear-jerker, at least for me).
Cowboy Bebop -- each episode is self-contained, but builds more upon the character and stories of each of the players. Set in Earth's future, its surface plots about a bounty hunter tracking down bad guys seem at times shallow, but it's the introspection and the character development that truly shine; almost every episode left a lump in the throat at the end.
If you like fantasy role-playing games, check out Record of Lodoss War, probably the best thing ever put on video or film in that genre until Lord of the Rings came out this past year.
And for the fun of it, Dominion: Tank Police -- I laughed my *ass* off in so many scenes...a genuinely hilarious short set of skits well worth checking out.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If you don't mind watching something a little philosophical try "Night on the Galactic Railroad".

Also you could try "Wings of Honneamise" AKA "Royal Space Force", however, if you own a set capable of taking advantage of anamorphic transfers, this disc is disappointing quality wise. A really poor transfer renders it almost unwatchable on a large screen set.

Two movies considered anime classics are "Galaxy Express 999 and "Adieu, Galaxy Express 999", however, if you don't like melodrama avoid them. I don't think these two have been released on DVD yet.

Eve T

Supporting Actor
I also highly recommend Ghost in the shell The vampire hunter D , and Cowboy bebop I've watched every episode of Cowboy Bepop on the Cartoon Networks "Adult Swim". My friend told me it is now a DVD set. Definantly worth looking into IMHO. :)

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
In addition to all of the above, I would like to recommend the following OVA's:
Tenchi Muyo: Ryo Oki. (fantasy/romance/comedy) Boxset.
El Hazard: The Magnificent World. (same as Tenchi) Boxset.
Samurai X. 2 discs.
Macross Plus. 2 discs.
The abovementioned are superb OVA's with great production value and story. Highly recommended! :)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I suggest someone put together a list of the anime movies/shows that have been recommended so that nobody has to search through tons of posts to find all the recommendations.
I STRONGLY suggest Neon Genesis Evangelion. Its the BEST anime series (and has 2 movies) EVER, IMO, of course.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Also you could try "Wings of Honneamise" AKA "Royal Space Force", however, if you own a set capable of taking advantage of anamorphic transfers, this disc is disappointing quality wise. A really poor transfer renders it almost unwatchable on a large screen set.
If you have an HTPC, you can use DVDSubber to watch the stunning Japanese DVD. Look around Ebay for the legit R0 version. Supposedly when Manga renews their Honneamise license next month they are getting this transfer as part of the deal, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Two movies considered anime classics are "Galaxy Express 999 and "Adieu, Galaxy Express 999", however, if you don't like melodrama avoid them. I don't think these two have been released on DVD yet.

Galaxy Express is out in Korea with English subs and a stunning anamorphic transfer, identical, and much cheaper than the Japanese version.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Galaxy Express is out in Korea with English subs and a stunning anamorphic transfer, identical, and much cheaper than the Japanese version.
------------------------------------------------------------
How would a person go about ordering it? Is there a reputable outfit to order from and is it a legit licensed product?
It is probably Region 2 and unfortunately I don't have an HTPC or Region 2 capable player. I was looking in to the possibility of ordering a multi-region player from the States but finances are a little pinched right now for that luxury....especially since the Canuck buck is worth almost as much as a Mexican Peso right now. :D
The Honneamise disc would have been good too. I will just have to hope that Manga really does get the proper master and does a do over of the film. I won't hold my breath though.....I'm not into passing out. :)

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
>>(and my favorite film of all-time, not just anime) Kaze no tani no Nausicaa (Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind), done by the same director as Mononoke Hime, Miyazaki Hayao.

Mark Hayenga

Supporting Actor
I have a full, uncut fansub of Kaze no Tani no Nausicaa (the original that the butchered Warriors of the Wind was made from). It is a fantastic movie, I prefer it to Mononoke-hime despite its more simplistic message. Unfortunately, Disney now owns the rights and therefore fansubs cannot be distributed. University anime club archives would be a good place to look (I know UT's anime club has two tapes of it in their archive).

But remember, Disney owns the rights so fansub copying is a no-no.

Mark

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Perfect Blue is practically a tribute to Alfred Hitchcock- if you like him, you'll dig it! (And IIRC, the rape scene is actually a scene of actors FILMING a rape scene- still pretty nasty, though.)
And I (once again) will second Morgan's assessment of Evangelion as the BEST EVER. :)
Lord, let the Mouse treat us right with ol' Nausicaa. . .

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
I recommend Metropolis which is out right now in limited theater run from Sony Pictures. The anime movie is scripted by Katsuhiro Otomo (director of Akira and Robot Carnival) but the anime is based off the manga created by Osamu Tezuka, the god and originator of the anime genre in Japan.
Great movie.
I also recommend the new Cowboy Bebop movie. :) Good movie. It does take place between episode 22 & 23 of the series though, but it does hold well as a standalone.
KC

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
The's a bunch of Metropolis as well as FFX (2 DVD version) over at EBay now, has anybody seen those? Opinions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks