What's new

ANGELS IN THE OUTFIELD Delay? (1 Viewer)

Charles H

Screenwriter
Does anyone know the "backstory" for the delay of the Amazon exclusive of the DVD Decision choive ANGELS IN THE OUTFIELD (1951)? It was supposed to be released this Tuesday, but they are now listing a 4 to 6 week delay.

CameronMcC

Second Unit
thats a real bummer. i love this movie. I saw it again recently around thanksgiving on TCM and was hoping to have the new disc in hand soon.

i got a feeling it will end up in a warner box set sometime

Charles H

Screenwriter
I received a cancellation notice from Amazon stating that they were unable to get it from any other sources. Which is odd since they know automatically that it is an Amazon exclusive. ANGELS IN THE OUTFIELD does (and has) existed for several years as a completed dvd--probably in a warehouse next to BOOMERANG, KID MILLIONS, and the DAVID LEAN COLLECTION), but what I want to know is the story behind the story: my suspicion is that WB under-estimated how popular the title is, and didn't want to limit it to Amazon. January is a hard time to market a baseball movie. I'd be curious to know what sort of contract they had with Amazon in the first place (obviously BEST FOOT FORWARD was not as provocative a title).

ted:r

Second Unit
I received my cancellation notice also (I've never seen AITO, but I'm a die-never Pittsburgh Pirate fan.)

I had assumed that the Amazon exclusives finished 11th and 12th in the voting. Or, at least highly enough to warrant interest. It has me worried for the other films on the list, especially "All Fall Down", "Sunrise At Campobello" and "You're A Big Boy Now". (At least "Blume in Love" has be scheduled...) And more so for the DVD's on previous lists especially "Executive Suite", "Party Girl", etc.

I'd really like to know how well "Gymkata" is selling, but the problem is neither of the options is positive. If its selling poorly, WB may re-think polling. If its selling well, maybe that's the kind of release we will get from now on.

I still hold faith in WB and George Feltenstein, and still believe they care for us, the devoted classic movie fan. I just worry, that's all.

Second Unit
I received my cancellation notice also (I've never seen AITO, but I'm a die-never Pittsburgh Pirate fan.)

I had assumed that the Amazon exclusives finished 11th and 12th in the voting. Or, at least highly enough to warrant interest. It has me worried for the other films on the list, especially "All Fall Down", "Sunrise At Campobello" and "You're A Big Boy Now". (At least "Blume in Love" has be scheduled...) And more so for the DVD's on previous lists especially "Executive Suite", "Party Girl", etc.

I'd really like to know how well "Gymkata" is selling, but the problem is neither of the options is positive. If its selling poorly, WB may re-think polling. If its selling well, maybe that's the kind of release we will get from now on.

I still hold faith in WB and George Feltenstein, and still believe they care for us, the devoted classic movie fan. I just worry, that's all.

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
I checked several of the other Warner Decision 2006 discs on Amazon and they were all in stock. I'm wondering if they didn't find a technical problem with the disc and delay it. It was listed as UNAVAILABLE for a couple of days, but is now listed as Ships in 4 to 6 Weeks.

I had heard that they had a good transfer awaiting release, but I don't think I ever heard that the DVD itself was ready to go. I'm assuming that they ran into a problem that they need to fix. It would be nice to know, though...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
We do have a chat upcoming in about three weeks with Warner. Just a hint for those that are curious for an answer.;)

Second Unit
FYI...Angels seems to be back in the pipeline. I re-ordered it yesterday and its on its way.

I guess it was just a glitch, thankfully.

Rod J

Premium
Real Name
Rodney Jewett
Most people won't re-check since it was cancelled. I wonder how many sales they lost by cancelling everybody's pre-order.

That's a question for the Warner chat..

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
I would imagine that most of the people who pre-ordered this are big fans and would check back. Being an Amazon Exclusive will assure people don't go elsewhere, so if you want it...

By the way, mine showed up today. Haven't had the chance to watch it yet. The spindle was broken and the disc loose, but there are no scratches on it so I assume it'll be okay. Probably watch it this weekend (after all, spring training starts this week).

Now if It Happens Every Spring would come out, my baseball collection would be just about complete. (Though I have a decent copy I recorded off Fox Movie Channel to tide me over till it comes out.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks