What's new

Angel season 5 (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I thought Season 5 was great. The first few episodes are "Angel Lite" apparently because the creators were asked to change it up a bit from the operatic and dark nature of Season 4. As a result, many of the opening episodes are standalone and a bit comedic. Other than those few episodes, the season is excellent and very much worth owning.

On the finale, I kinda think of the ending as a metaphorical fantasy of sorts. It's more about the feeling and message than it is about the actual action or outcome. As for Buffy, I was disappointed with its finale. I didn't think it felt quite right when I first saw at, but after rewatching the entire series, it works better. In comparison, I thought the Angel finale was perfect and after watching the whole series over again, I still do.

Matt Thompson

Stunt Coordinator
The Angel finale, "Not Fade Away," remains my favorite episode of the series. In fact, I don't think I've really seen anyone who dislikes Season 5 on the whole, other than John apparently.

John McM

Second Unit
well, I was never as big a fan of Angel as I was into Buffy anyways, I've never cared enough to own the DVD's (even though I wouldn't mind a "best of" DVD set that contains the Buffy, Willow, Spike [in season 1] and Faith episodes). But I still stuck with Angel because it was the closest thing to new Buffy episodes last season since Buffy was finished.

Besides the ending, I also hate the fact that just about everyone who was in season 1 is now dead
. It wasn't like Buffy where you really felt safe, and even tho something like Xander losing an eye (I know how people who are new to Buffy hate spoilers)
may occur, the core four remain through the last episode, whereas Cordelia, Wesley, Fred and Gunn all die... and these were the characters you actually cared about besides Angel.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I know at least one person besides John who disliked it. I'm married to her, so that's about all I can say. ;)

M.

Matt Thompson

Stunt Coordinator
John, I don't mean for this to be harsh (and if it is, feel free to shoot me ;)), but it sounds like you're the sort who prefers episodic television where the hero comes home every day in the same condition he/she was at the beginning.

And oh yeah, "You're Welcome" is fantastic as well. So many of the final - I don't know, 13 or 14 - episodes of Angel were brilliant.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Season 5 contains my favorite closing scene in all of Angel, one that, for me, truly sums up what the series is about. It's the exchange between Angel and Spike at the end of "Damage":

I know that "Damage" is hard to swallow for some people because of the "guest star", but I found it howlingly funny. And then it ended with that punch to the gut.

M.

Ed_City

Agent
BAD NEWS!

I just got a review copy (in Canada) AND THERE IS FRENCH TEXT ON THE SPINE AND THE COVER!!!!

Canada is so screwed up, a minority of french imposing their soon-to-be dead language on everyone else. Disgusting! None of the other FOX sets I have received ever had this on them.

Daryl Stovall

Second Unit
The scene that gets me all misty is the flashback of Fred driving off to college with that pretty smile not knowing all the drama and pain (Pylea & Illyrea) that's going to happen to her. Downright heartbreaking.

John McM

Second Unit
But all in all, it wasn't to the volume extent that Angel had it.

I guess I am a sucker for happy endings.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey

I think you'll find this the case in the real word as well. People live. People die. Its's not pretty.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
I was afraid of that. Although I was kinda hoping that they'd at least go the Simpsons route with a removable bilingual cover. Guess not. Kinda sad that Canadians now got screwed out of a consistent look on their shelves... and so close to the finish line, too.

What's the French title of the show, anyway?

Chris

Joshua_W

Second Unit
While I did think that "Not Fade Away" was a very good episode, a few things about the end of the series bothered me, namely

That we never really saw the Shanshu Prophecy dealt with, especially since Spike was brought into the series and gave Angel some competition.

Also, I would've liked to have learned more about Wolfram and Hart -- who the Senior Partner were, what they had planned for Angel, what kind of Apocalypse they were planning.

These are questions that had been lingering since the first season, and were never fully answered.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
watchin' it and the pic. looks excellent. WAY better than S4. But it was just edited or mastered in HD, yes? It was still shot on film like the other seasons? Shooting on HD versus film wouldn't make the pic. look any better...

:) D

Will_C

Second Unit
Real Name
Will
I went out Wednesday to pick the set up at Best Buy, and they had sold out! 20+ copies and no idea when they'd be getting more in stock. Same at Circuit City. I finally went to a place that I'd never bought dvds before - Target. I got the last copy, and fortunately they had price matched BB and CC. I can't believe how popular this show really is! It's a terrible shame that it was cancelled, I'm sure that there were plenty of good stories left to tell. :frowning:

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip

I went to Wal-Mart to get this on Tuesday, but they were out, just like with season 4, and maybe even 3. you'd think the idiots would learn to order more copies by now.

Anyway, I go to the mall, FYE, just in case, even though I know that going anywhere other than a WM or Target to buy a DVD, esp. a TV DVD is completely stupid. However, they have a sale, any set over $50 is 25% off, which makes it about the same price as WM (I lose my 10% discount, but I can deal, because it saves me a trip.) Turns out, it was already marked down to $47, but still WM would have had it for $45, and I would have paid $42 or 43 after tax, so it's not that big a deal. At least I have it now, and I haven't had to go to any store since Tuesday.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks